Korea Open 2009: Day 6 (Finals) Sunday January 18

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2009' started by chris-ccc, Jan 17, 2009.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    CEH/WPT have never won any titles outside Malaysia as WR #1 also. Those jaguh kampungs!!! Unbelievable!!

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    LCW is ranked World No.1 because he has a consistency to beat most players

Perhaps, it is LCW's weird luck. But LCW is not unbeatable.

LCW is ranked World No.1 because he has a consistency to beat most players.
    Even though he might lose at the Final, he is still ranked No.1.

In the past, present, or future, it is not a surprise to find a World No.1 (in any sports) who could never win a title in his/her career (need to do a search for this). :):):)

#322 chris-ccc, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Hahaha, WPT/CEH only went up to be WR#1 during MO 2009, their 1st time ever. They did not participate KO, so they couldnt 'defend' this status :D. This week Taiwan WD, the newly crowned KO champ, will be WR#1.

4. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

CEH/WPT???!! :eek: hahahaha lol

WR1 ... Malaysia Boleh!!! :D

5. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Asia far ahead of Europe??

I recalled someone here proudly declared that in terms of badminton Asian countries are 'far ahead' than the European countries.

Well, if Asia is far ahead ... how come in the recently concluded KO, Denmark walked away with 3 titles???

Unbelievable!!!

6. jump_smashing

jump_smashing Regular Member

congratulations to the winner & the finalist ... great job + well done :)
    without them, we couldnt see any good matches :p

Hope also in the future that more Professional Players participated in the tournament.
    So ... this is kind a marketing for BADMINTON, make BADMINTON more famous in the world ;-)

7. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Uhm, in last 3 Olympic Games (2000, 2004, and 2008), all badminton gold medals were nicely swept by Asian countries.

Can we see it that way?

8. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Not to mention one of the perennial giant is not sending their national squad, as well as lack of participation from several of INA and MAS top players (injury, sickness,etc). One must be blind in order for them to not notice that. :rolleyes:

9. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    I have a suggestion: How about replacing that 'have never won' phrase with 'still haven't yet won'?
    Y'know, to give an optimistic tone.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

LCW and/or CEH/WPT (all ranked World No.1 now) to win away from Malaysia ?

Totally agree ... It won't be long before LCW and/or CEH/WPT (all ranked World No.1 currently) to win away from Malaysia, while holding their top positions.

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I believe the statement was 'Asia is far ahead of Europe'. My point is if Asia is that 'far ahead', how come the Danes took 3 titles in the KO?? Of course one can take the bitter route and say that in that competition, INA players were injured, no mood etc etc and all.

Good you mentioned the Olympics! Well, despite Denmark being 'far behind', they have won that Olympic gold before. And since we are on that big titles subject, Denmark, England and Sweden despite being 'far behind' have also notched a couple of WCs while a badminton giant like Malaysia is still figuring out how to actually win one despite all the Malaysia Boleh chants and cheering coupled with chest thumping;). As for the AE, em' Europeans have won it a couple of times too despite Asia being 'far ahead'.

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Well, if they participate in the Phillippines or Zimbabwe Open, they may win their first title outside Malaysia.

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I am all for optimism!:D

Sure, Datuk LCW 'still havent yet won' a title outside Malaysia as the WR1.

In the same vein, I also like to add that Indonesia & Malaysia too 'still havent yet won' the football world cup. ;)

14. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Lets see....# of TC, UC, SC, AE, WC, and OG gold won by Europe in the last 5 years equal to how many exactly? Now compared that to Asia.... what do we've if not overwhelming advantage to Asia?
    And some people still trying to argue that Europe is not lagging behind Asia? Oh well, good luck with that foolishness.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

If Badminton is to be an International Sport, we need European players to be in it

It is hoped that players from Europe can produce some good results in coming events/tournaments; namely;
    DEN in their MS, WS, MD and XD,
    ENG in their XD.
    FRA in their WS,
    GER in their WS,
    etc......

If Badminton is to be an International Sport, we need more European players to play a bigger role in our sport.

#335 chris-ccc, Jan 20, 2009
  16. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

wait, so your arguing that players such as Anthony Clark, Donna Kellogg, Gail Emms, Nathan Robertson, Peter Gade, Lu Lan, and other countless European players are lagging behind Asia? these world class players are not as good as their Asian counter parts? These Players that have shown time and time again that they can hold their own and in fact 'own' some other players?

Heh, good luck with that foolishness.....

#336 jymbalaya, Jan 20, 2009
  17. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Well, considering you inserting one of CHN top WS player among your list of so-called European players......I think your argument is already self-defeating.

And yes, look at the results for the last 5 years. Now you tell me which one is lagging whom.

Good luck trying to argue back that foolishness.

18. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

whoops, thank for pointing that out. Pi Hongyan plays for France, not Lu Lan.... and Pi Hongyan beat lu lan in the Olympics i think.

Also think about populations, and the interests of an area before you make weighed statements. realize badminton is not the main sport in those areas. while over in Asia, there are more people playing badminton, you can find more people who will play. likewise, the number of people who rise up will be larger, and then the people entering national teams, international tournaments, extending onward until you see that there is a slight edge. therefore, i find it easy to believe that Europe may seem to be be lagging.

that being said, I believe Europe does not lag on the world stage, that they hold their own, and meet up with their Asian counterparts. we can go on and argue about statistics, but even then, Europeans have Held the Number one rankings in more than one Discipline. Arguing over statistics does nothing to advance our sports, it only detracts. i find it pointless to call one region inferior to another region, just over a bunch of numbers. it shows an ignorance and a certain disrespect for players, wherever they come from.

however, i shall let you go on, for the sake of letting the Korean Open 2009: Day 6 thread actually be about the subject matter, instead of bashing countries.

#338 jymbalaya, Jan 20, 2009
  19. badadum

badadum Regular Member

You really need to get your fact straight... LL got beat by XXF and then MK in OG 2008. Besides, do you really consider Pi as "European" consider she's once part of China's team before migrating to France?

As far as population size etc, I agreed wholeheartedly, while someone else might beg to differ. But speaking from performance only, there's no denying there hasn't been any promising talent from the European countries to replace the more famous player. All of the players you listed is over 30years old, whose prime has pass. If this trend continues, there won't be anymore Europeans ever holding #1 ranking in badminton.

I believe I used the word lagging, which correctly depicts the current state of European badminton. If you prefer to view it negatively and equate that with "inferiority" & "ignorance", well one is always free to make their own interpretation.

#339 badadum, Jan 20, 2009
  20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2009 Korea Open SS Finals: Article from the Taipei Times

From the Taipei Times, we have this article;
    Cheng and Chien got off to a rocky start: click here

#340 chris-ccc, Jan 20, 2009