Korea Open 2009: Day 6 (Finals) Sunday January 18

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2009' started by chris-ccc, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    You guys would make very poor trial lawyers :rolleyes:

It's not because you don't have sound arguments or style.
    It's simply because you keep addressing each other.
    And that's certainly not what constitutes a sane debate.

Let's not hear any more of what one thinks of the other, please :(

2. badadum

badadum Regular Member

You really having problem with reading comprehension don't you? Even if the reasoning is in the very same post, in front of you?

4 to 1 is ratio is not good enough for you??? Then how about 14 to 1?? Still not good enough? Anyone else object to this ratio?

Again, based on this argument, your position will also be that US is not lagging behind Asia in badminton, due to them have been previous champs of WC and AE???

Since you are the one that broaden the subject to all, why don't you do the legwork yourself? Too lazy to do it ?

It does confirmed your flip-flopping. Thank you again for confirming it. :D

3. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Oldhand, I would be quite offended if someone ever equate me to the "dishonorable" profession of lawyers. :p

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I wouldn't want to think that Mahatma Gandhi, Abraham Lincoln, Franz Kafka, John Knox, RL Stevenson, John Grisham, etc deserve a 'dishonourable' label :p

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

...oh, and a gentleman named Obama ;)

6. badadum

badadum Regular Member

I considered Gandhi as spiritual leader, Obama and Lincoln as politician, Stevenson and Grisham as author.. and not trial lawyers, so no, definitely not. :p
    (no idea wtheck Kafka and Knox is).

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Guys, guys...

Hmm, i don't see what's the big brouhaha is all about????...considering the KO Finals is already over, done & dusted with...
    Okay, so Pemuda calls it Asians have not been dominating in badminton. And badadum calls it Asians have been dominating in badminton.
    Both of 'em pull out the AE, WC and Olympics cards.

To tell the truth, based on stats, both Pemuda and badadum are correct.
    Yes, Non-Asians have been dominating badminton in those 3 events (duh, who else invented & originated badminton, esp. in the AE since it's the oldest baddy tournament). Until, recently, where Asians have been the dominant ones.

So, based on a bit of research (since both Pemuda & badadum don't want to leave BC for a few minutes;)), here's what i've found:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton_at_the_1992_Summer_Olympics (4)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton_at_the_1996_Summer_Olympics (4) (1)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton_at_the_2000_Summer_Olympics (5)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton_at_the_2004_Summer_Olympics (5)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton_at_the_2008_Summer_Olympics (5)
    Asia=23 Non-Asia=1
    *only counting Gold titles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BWF_World_Championships
    Asia (40+18+9+1=68)
    Non-Asia (9+3+2+1=15)
    *only counting Gold titles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_England_Open_Badminton_Championships
    Asia = 11+9+8+7+33=68
    Non-Asia = 21+18+17+17+15+13+11+11+11+10+9+8+8+8+5=182
    *only counting winners

total titles (more or less w/some missing stats):
    Asia = 23+68+68=159
    Non-Asia = 1+15+182=197

Now, where's my teh tarek from Pemuda and my Starbucks coffee from badadum...[​IMG]

...YES, Oldhand CAN, TOO!(but w/a much less hype);)

#367 ctjcad, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  8. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Gosh....Starbuck??? seriously? No coffee aficionado will ever step there... Everything is either sweet or super sweet. :p

Question though, are you including the AE historical data from the very beginning? Because if you do, I believe you'll need to readjust your AE title, and only start when Asian countries start participating in AE. That'll effectively cut more than half the European's tally there. :)

Considering we're stuck in a run around here, let me ask this question. Presently, who's the dominating side in badminton? Asia or Europe? What about for the foreseeable future?

#368 badadum, Jan 21, 2009
  9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Quiz:

What has the title "Korea Open 2009: Day 6 (Finals) Sunday January 18" got to do with the content of a few dozen recent posts? :(

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Yes..

..i'm counting all the AE titles from the beginning. Don't blame/discredit the Europeans/non-Asians (or what they did) if no Asian countries (if there weren't) participated in the early yrs of AE..
    (It's almost as if we need to discredit what the ancient Chinese or Roman civilization did, because America wasn't discovered until some 200+ yrs ago).

Who's dominating as of now/presently? Of course, we're not blind which region is dominating badminton. As for the future/foreseeable future (how far ahead??), i/we don't know, unless you have a crystal ball or one of your telescopes.;)

#370 ctjcad, Jan 21, 2009
  11. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Well considering most (if not all) asian countries at that time was under European tyranny and enslavement...it's hard to not blame/discredit them...but I digress....
    I believe an accurate comparison can only be made when both sides are present...don't you agree?

Fair enough. :D

And considering Oldhand's probably is wrapping his finger on the delete button, I'll end my off-topic post here. ;)

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i give u the most clear point...when malaysia player won title in the tourney tat no chinese player participate..the title worth nothing...like a kuala terenganu open only...then...when danes player won title in the tourney tat no chinese player participate...someone so impresive with it...given tat ppl give so much respect to china team...no china team in tourney(ss mf) = no class tourney...i wonder if he giving same word to mas and danes tat both won 3 titles...no one will complain...;)

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You may want to remove your blinders. Both Pi and Xu represent France and Germany respectively. Where they were born are irrelevant. Based on your short sighted theory, you may as well do a search on all current and previous European & Asian shuttlers to determine whether where they were born and all.

Why the prejudice against Pi & Xu??

Do enlighten me how and from where you derive this 4 to 1 and 14 to 1 thingy. Why are you looking at things from a certain point of time instead of looking at it in total?

Again, talking about reading comprehension problems and all ... where and when did I say the US is not far behind Asia or whatsover to that effect?? :eek:

Dude, I believe the topic is Asia and Europe. US?? :eek: Where did you get that from?? Are you going to bring in Africa next? Or maybe South America?

Excuse me, you want to prove me wrong, you have to provide the facts not the other way round.

Like your greater than 50% and then not greater than 50% and then back to greater than 50% thingy???

So, when will the SSF be held this year?? Still cant get it??? Or you are still busy figuring out the difference between greater than 50% and 50%??
    Like your pot calling the kettle black?

#373 Pemuda, Jan 21, 2009
  14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Thanks. Your input from a neutral point of view is much appreciated.

If we look at things in total, one can see that there is no 'total domination' based on the major titles won.

15. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Actually Peter and Tine have both donated their winning rackets to charity.
    I just saw their rackets on an auction site. All the proceeds will go to Danish Red Cross and other humanitarian organizations for the poor in Africa.

At the moment the highest bid for Peters racket is about 300 USD :)

Peters racket

Tines racket

16. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Refer back to the original post.

Refer back to the original post. (hmmm...starting to see a pattern here)

You're validating European's record by looking back far into the past. At one point in time, US were also the dominant power in badminton...now tell me is the past an accurate representation in the present? Still don't get it my boy?

Excuse me, you're the one that want to bring the whole total thing into the equation. Its your responsibility to provide the fact to back you up, unless you're just all talk and no facts.

Fact = SSF participant includes more top tiers than KO
    Fact = Pemuda stated that SSF result is not an indicator of progression nor quality
    Fact = Pemuda stated that the Danes winning 3 titles in KO (with lesser fields of participants than SSF) shows the European prowess.
    Fact = Pemuda's double standard and flip flopping on what tourney supposed to be a good indicator.

Clear enough for your below elementary level of comprehension?

And in case you didn't notice, mods wants the thread's off-topic to end. If you want to continue, by all means, create a new thread.

17. joelabb

joelabb Regular Member

To be fair nobody win la:D:D it just that Asia got so many badminton power countries and Europe got only Denmark and England (now kurang power):D

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    In European Badminton, Denmark is the main force

In Asia, in the past, CHN, INA, KOR and MAS had the stronger players. Now, it's great to have countries like HKG, IND, JPN, SIN, THA, TPE, VIE, etc... having promising players.

In Europe, DEN is the main force. But we still have good players coming from ENG, FRA, GER, NED, etc..., often making it to the last few rounds in tournaments.

For Badminton to be an international sport, we hope that players from America and Eastern Europe can quickly get into the race. For Australia and Africa, we still have a long way to go. :(

19. joelabb

joelabb Regular Member

There so many Asian migrated and living in Australia hope someday they can produce some good players:)

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Go to the IBF website and do a check on Pi & Xu under players' profile. For example under Pi, her country of representation is France. There is no small print such as 'France ( .... she migrated over from China)'. Thank god IBF do not subscribe to a mindset of a bigot.

In total. Look at the stats in total.

Are we talking about the US here???

And dude, I am looking at em' records in total, not just 5 years. In total, boy.

I have already said based on records on em' big titles Asia is not far ahead. You want to prove me wrong, you provide me the facts, not the other way round, son. And please lets have em' facts in total not on bits and pieces here and there.

Answer my question first, will you? When will the SSF be held this year?

Try cutting down on your personal insults.