From 'whitewashing' to zero in less than 14 days

Discussion in 'India Open 2009' started by Pemuda, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Surely, you would know through your life experience that the mind gets tougher as we grow older. Nobody stays weak all the time.

LCW might have been weak mentally because he was not physically prepared and his fear stamps from his inability to counter his opponents.

But as he gets better physically, his fear disappears because he finds that he can counter them, be it LD or Taufik.

Expect more of LCW beating LD in the future just as he has done over Taufik.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Now that is what I fear will continue to haunt him.

During a mini 'crisis' situation as depicted in his last encounter with CL when he felt physically weak and started to let his negative thoughts overwhelm him, he even returned CL's serve outside of court when he wasn't prepared to do so in the first place. He wasn't thinking rationally and simply gave away a 'free' point because he was 'buried' with negative thoughts!

Anything can happen in a match, including fatigue, and if LCW allows fatigue or the like to dictate his play, he is not prepared to become the next World Champ! :mad:

#122 Loh, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Not the first time I have mentioned this fact though, I guess Lee Chong Wei will have to win the All-England, World Championships, and the Olympics Gold Medal by 2012 before he (or his fans) can convince the critics for good ;)

Let's face it, it's tough being Lee Chong Wei. As an INA fan, I really do symphatize his plight. No matter what this guy do, winning or losing, it doesn't matter anymore if he has no major titles to show for because the critics (oh we do have plenty here) just simply won't be convinced. He will forever be haunted by his lack of mental toughness etc etc.

Yes, it does no matter how many more Super Series titles he's going to win in the future. Not even how many more times he beat Lin Dan. If he does beat Lin Dan occassionally , his critics will say that Lin Dan has won all the major titles and nearly all of the SS titles, so, one or two victories for Lee Chong Wei per year do not really matter :)

It will be worse if Lee Chong Wei did lose. Almost instantenously, he will get condemned, just like yesterday's loss ;)

4. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    BadMania, thanks for the post.
    be known that Malaysians appreciated him. No doubt. We are.

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, only the Boleh fans appreciate him for his effort though :eek:

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I suggest Lee Chong Wei to attend just the following tourneys only till Olympics 2012 to minimize the number of threads opened for him just because he win/lose in a particular tourney:

Team Events:
    1. Sudirman Cup 2009 and 2011 (have to attend, representing MAS).
    2. Thomas Cup 2010 and 2012 (ditto)
    3. Asian Games 2010 (ditto)

Individual Events:
    1. Asian Games 2010
    2. World Championships 2009-2011
    3. All England 2010-2012
    4. Malaysia Super Series 2010-2012 (home event)
    5. Malaysia GP Golds 2010-2012 (ditto)
    6. All other events as stipulated in his contract with Yonex: possibly Hong Kong, Korea, and Japan SS + two from India, Chinese-Taipei, or Macau GP Golds.

That should give him at least 10 tourneys a year.

Who cares about all the other SS events as Lee Chong Wei himself already won: Malaysia, Swiss, Singapore, Indonesia, Denmark (5* before it was changed to SS) and French SS. Winning those events again do not add anything to his cv. He can afford to skip them to avoid being embarrassed should he lose in early rounds :rolleyes:

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I don't think we operate on the same wavelength on the meaning of 'weak mental syndrome'.'Weak mental syndrome' is like what you see in LD.After a loss, he crawls back to his den and takes quite a while to nurse and recover from his wounds.And when a match don't go his way as expected, he often collapses pretty fast.

8. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

If LCW doesnt attend that many tournaments and leech off every single point he can... how will be ever stay world #1? ^^ It seems that the Chinese team has completely given up on the world ranking system =P

9. KaSoon

KaSoon New Member

Consultancy Manager
    A press interview with Li Mao... Someone please translate... Tq

一哥心理波動
    問題出在技術

技術水平決定心理!
    李矛先前的愛徒馬來西亞選手李宗偉,在他執教期間達到頂尖水準,但自從李矛赴韓執教后,李宗偉的心理狀態始終無法調整到最佳。
    凡在馬來西亞國內的比賽李宗偉總是經常奪冠,參加6屆馬來西亞公開賽更5次奪冠,但在國外,如奧運和韓國公開賽,在決賽就經常出現因心理波動而連續失分的現象。所以做為教練一定要幫助球員建立信心,場上和場外做好球員堅強后盾。
    談及這些,李矛侃侃而談:“是這樣的,李宗偉本土作戰就有突出表現,這跟馬來西亞的羽球氛圍有關係。李宗偉是馬來西亞的英雄,他一出場,所有觀眾都興奮起來,這種氣氛能激發運動員的潛能。

觀眾激發潛能
    但在別的國家比賽,當然沒有這種主場氣氛,所以他的發揮就欠一點火喉。另外,他奧運會跟林丹的決賽,可以說是沒有辦法——林丹太快了。那場球林丹可以說是天下無敵,太快了。李宗偉和他根本不是一個級別,那天應該說不存在什么“心理因素”,因為林丹太強大了。”
    “所謂「心理因素」應該這么看:一個運動員技術達到一定層次,他的心理也到一個層次,比如說水平不夠,比賽中他的心理就會產生問題——他沒底嘛。 李宗偉有時心理波動,其實就是他的技術有問題,他不知道該怎么對付對手!所以從教練的角度看,心理問題從來都是和技術掛鉤的。比如我和你打球,我就不存在心理問題——我的技術遠遠超過你嘛。

但我和與我同等水平的打,我的心理壓力會增加。所以心理跟技術是互相關聯的——很多人過度強調心理因素,我認為實際上是技術決定心理。”

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    you made an excellent point...as a baddy fan and a MAS supporter myself, LCW is one of the 4 players I would make an oversea trip just to see him play, the other 3 are LD, TH and PG. It is not a matter of who's winning the top prize but more importantly, to watch the style and beauty of baddy that these 4 players display that would attract me. You are absolutely correct, tough being LCW, much tougher than onetoughbirdie!!!

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

te=OneToughBirdie;1129813]Hi Loh:....'world champion?'...errr...not too fast!:p:D[/quote]
    Hiyaa, India's newspaper, what you expect? :p
    For reports from Msian press, read today's NST & The Star

My friend, had a good laugh with your 1st paragraph. Yes, Yes LCW should minimize, economy slowdown, budget has been reduced this year, 10 tourneys a year only. More than that, should be only by contractual obligation, really necessary like collecting WR points for WC.
    Not only avoid embarassment, if lose early rounds, LCW & Misbun must write long reports to Sports Minister.;):p:p

With another 'birdie''s flying with your sharp eyes, this eagle can take a break. You're a tough bird, no problem :D

#132 eaglehelang, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  13. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is so easy to be an armchair critic with regards to LCW’s loss to CL. I have been down with food-poisoning and I know how debilitating the situation is. You will be so weak that you can’t hardly move. LCW being the gentleman he is, played on despite the pain and he has my kudos. It is good that it happened in March 2009 and not August when the World Championship takes place. I just hope that LCW will be more careful in future with regards to the food outlets he goes for his meals.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    For professional players, precautions about food and water are necessities.
    It is a bit difficult to believe that Lee Chong Wei isn't aware of these basics.

As for the 'food outlet' in question, that is reported to have been 'an inflight meal'. Given that Chong Wei didn't parachute into the stadium or walk off the plane and head straight for his match against Chen Long, the plot has gotten much thicker than it initially was.

Strange how the poisons in the airline's food appear to have a, er, gestation period :rolleyes:

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Frankly since he knew he suffered from food poisoning, he should not continue and injure himself further, both physically and mentally. It is not right to think he would be a 'gentleman' to torture himself and his standing! :(

A reasonable and reliable coach would have asked him not to play.

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Given the mushrooming of young Chinese talent, it requires a large mix of optimism and jingoism to believe that Lee Chong Wei will be winning major tournaments in 2010 or beyond.

In the same breath, I will add Lin Dan too.
    The years ahead belong to new blood :)

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

the answer is on post#112;)

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i could not agree with this as obviously as we all know, lee chong wei himself already spoke that he and some of the players in the mas camp have some food poisoning before the 1st round and not feeling well starting from morning. this interview came from chong wei himself to make things clearer:cool:

“We have been having our meals at the hotel for the past few days. But I was getting bored with it and we went out for food,” he said in a telephone interview.
    “I started to feel weak this morning. I started the match well but I was not in a good condition. I could have beaten him under normal circumstances but this was just one of those days. It was the first time that I have experienced this.”

So, we just can't simply say that chong wei underestimate chen long. yesterday was not just his day.:(
    Just imagine if you are chong wei in this situation.;):rolleyes:

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Could have been mis-translation or sthing with the reporters. Kindly read today's New Straits Times & The Star. The malay press reports same info. That's why I said wait for today's newspapers, from a few sources.;);) And I'm sure after reading those reports, there'll be more criticism (as usual).

Anyway, no need to kan cheong over the issue.

#139 eaglehelang, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  20. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

For me, maybe the food poisoning effects were not very serious until he cant play that match or have to give W/O to CL, but it still uncomfortable and was affecting his overall performance and eventually he lost. I think he was just trying his best in that typical situation although he knew he might/will lost and he was 'gentleman' enough to face the lost...;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.