How to play this net shot the way lcw does???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by logicalguy, May 13, 2009.

1. grhm2356

grhm2356 Regular Member

To do what? Invade the opponents court with their feet? I believe that is a fault, it's not only your racket that cannot go into the other side, you body also cannot as far as I know.

2. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah your feet. I have always thought it was perfectly fine.

I have seen it many times - wheir international players stop their one foot exactly in front of the net.

But - I'm not sure , we much check the decisive rules :)

3. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

Yeah I agree it is a risky shot cuz ur opponent can catch you out of position. But What impresses me most is his speed; the way he just pounced on it. Arriving at the net at that speed it is hard to control a net shot and probably the brush stroke lcw used was the right one. If he'd presented the shuttle with the full face of the racquet it probably would've given lin dan a chance to smash it back into his face.

ctjcad I think you're right about his racquet head maybe being slightly over the net when in contact with the shuttle. lcw's reaction and smile after it was called a fault makes me think it wasn't the foot or the follow thru.

4. grhm2356

grhm2356 Regular Member

I checked it. If your body or your clothes pass to the other side of the court it's only fault if it affects your opponent, either by distracting him or by touching him.

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

:D thanks grhm , I thought it would be ok . Because I have always seen tournaments where players would stop just before the net , with one foot on the opponenets side of the net.

Thankyou for the clarification grhm :).

6. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Slice the bird horizontally downwards so it goes fast, like a drop, except not. It will hit the bird fast but go down. It's what you would call a swipe.. I suppose. When I have time, I'll try to find a video and post the link.

7. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A foot passing under the net is NOT a fault if the net itself isn't touched - this came up in a LD match in Beijing last year, whereupon Gill Clark assured her co-commentator (and us) that foot-under-net isn't a fault, though she suggested this was a recent change to the rule; LD WAS faulted because his left thigh DID touch the net:eek:.

9. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Was this rule only established then? There were many problems before about this but I thought they already had a solid solution, which was, the same thing anyways. :p

10. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    I put ".." or '...' on that msg .. That "..." / '..' is Quote..