How does a qualification round work?

Discussion in 'US Open 2009' started by gamepurpose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    When i looked at the video on youtube of 1st day 1 part thanks to someone sorry forgot the name =)
    anyway
    I know that, in qualification round, the pair md andy tran and soe htet lost when i saw them play. Well I got there late on the qualification round day.

and same to XD the pair tiffany prajudha N tuan la they lost when i saw them play too.

any1 want to tell me?
    or maybe I just mistake the result? lol i don't think so though

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^You're correct..^^

..the 1st day was the Qualification Rd. day. It's a day for all of those players or pairs who don't have enough BWF or even national qualifying points to be put in the Main draws. Instead of picking & choosing them in a lottery type selection, the players/pairs must compete and eliminate each other to have a chance to play in the Main draws..

3. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    yea sure, that's pretty obvious, but can you explain why people who lost in qualification round still able to play in the 1st main round?

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Really? That's interesting. Maybe US Open is learning from NBA or NHL that teams with losing records still able to make the playoff. :D:D

But I looked at tournamentsoftware.com, all the ones making the main draw are qualification round winners.

#4 Qidong, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Yeap..^^

..you're probably looking at the same people (who lost in the qualification round, MD & XD primarily) but they were playing in different event(s). If that's the case, sure, those individuals could still play in the main draw(s), as long as they're playing in different event(s).

#5 ctjcad, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In very rare cases, a last-minute withdrawal (after the qualification rounds have completed) could advance one of the losers to the main draw.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Tis true..^^

..unfortunately, it didn't happen in this tourney, in both the XD & MD events (1st Rd). At least, not from what gamepurpose thought he saw..:cool:

8. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    well there's no other even, it just straight up US open 2009,
    and for more infor. this might help, I was came in late on qualification round.
    and So the two pairs, MD and XD, that i mention lost. And according in the video clip on youtube. 1st round they played again.
    Well maybe I should ask they person who post up the video on youtube.
    to verify if his "day 1" means qualification round or it's 1st round of the tournament.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^A bit of confusion on what is Day 1, Qualification Rd, 1st Rd and Main draws..^^

- Please tell us which 2 pairs, XD and MD, who lost in the Qualification Rd. and then were able to play again in the 1st Rd, are you referring to?
    - Some pairs did play twice on the Qualification Rd. day, to determine if they'll qualify for the Main Draws (Day 2).
    - Technically, the 1st day is the Qualification Rd. day because there are 6 days in this particular tourney. Day 2 is the actual start of the Main Draws/1st Rd. However, some would say, the main draws/1st Rd is the 1st day.
    The person who put the videos on youtube meant to specify that Day 1 is the actual start of the tourney, which means, it's the Qualification Rd. day.

#9 ctjcad, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  10. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    wow i left this thread, didn't even recall that i actually posted this; however, now that I remember. I think ctjcad corrected. On youtube the person who posted it actually put day 1 day 2
    that's confused me and all, sorry for all the confusion people