Lin Dan VS Pete Gade tomorrow?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by sudirman, Aug 13, 2009.

?

Lin Dan vs. Peter Gade. who wins?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2009.
  1. Peter Hoeg Gade (DEN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lin Dan (CHN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yes and you're welcome..

Yes, there have been numerous threads & discussions dedicated to the argument you're trying to present. Heck, we might even re-start this whole debate pretty soon, again...
    Here are the 2 sides of the debate:
    - LD had already proven that he could maintain as WR #1, in the last couple or so yrs. I know he should participate in more tourneys like what LCW is doing. But i think LD's goal or main focus right now is to maintain his physical condition and to just select tournaments he deems worthwhile to participate in til 2012 Olympics.
    - LCW can have and brag abt his WR #1, but to many, without him having a major title(s) securely placed in his back pocket, the WR will be for naught.
    ..i meant to say, "And neither LD or LCW will come in 2nd place in this yr's WC (one will be eliminated in the Semis should they meet each other)"..
    For the 1st part & 2nd parts, i understand. But the query was abt for this particular WC's total pts. If you want to divulge more abt pts accumulation til end of the yr, please open up a new thread for a new discussion. Thanks.:)

#41 ctjcad, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    Friday August 14, 2009

Christensen says pressure on Lin Dan to beat a veteran like him

ONE had said that the other is the favourite for the world championship men’s singles title.
    But when “old man” Peter-Gade Christensen of Denmark and super attacking player Lin Dan of China meet today, they will be holding nothing back to get the better of each other in a crunch quarter-final match.
    Christensen was on top of his game yesterday to beat Chan Yan Kit of Hong Kong 21-11, 21-12 while Lin Dan ended the gallant run of Dicky Palyama of Holland with an impressive 21-11, 21-11 win to show that they were shaping up well for the big match today.
    The 32-year-old Christensen said that Lin Dan was the favourite and would be the one under pressure to beat him.
    “So far, everything is good and this is exactly where I want to be — an opportunity to play against Lin Dan in the quarter-finals,” said the Dane.
    “All the pressure will be on him. He will not want to lose to an old man like me.”
    Christensen has promised to throw everything he has to beat the overwhelming favourite.
    “He is a fantastic player but he is not invincible. I beat him in the China Masters (two years ago). It is rare for a player to beat him in his own country.
    “I believe I have that tiny bit of chance against him. And I will give all my best out there tomorrow. I have been playing well since the Olympic Games and I am going to go out there fighting for every shot throughout the match.”
    Lin Dan beat Christensen in the quarter-finals of the Beijing Olympics last year and it was one of the best matches of the Games.
    The two-time world champion was cool over his chances and admitted that Christensen would be a tough nut to crack.
    “He is the best European player and I have to admit that he has been playing quite well since the Beijing Games,” said Lin Dan.
    “He is a good player and I will not take him lightly. I will be very prepared for the match and what is important is to give my best out there tomorrow.”

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    and remember that lindan need to win wc to defend his og gold point,lcw also need to defend the runner up point in og;)

4. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

yepp, should be a really good match. i actually see a lose-lose situation for gade. 2 scenario's.
    1) he goes all out the first game, wins it, slows down a little in the second loses it, and tries to play his hardest in the third, but in the end, he doesn't out fitness LD.

2) he goes all out the first game, loses it, then doesn't have too much left in the tank and then loses the second as well.
    obviously there are billions of other scenarios, but imho i think these are probably two of the most probable.
    personally i hope gade does well, i dont wanna see him get blown outta the water.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Really??..

..who's actually keeping count of those??..:confused:

yourbestfriend, the 3rd scenario is: Gade loses-wins-loses....a lose-lose-lose scenario...

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i prefer old bwf website as i can help counting the wr point,but i cant now:(
    change back the wr website,bwf:mad:

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I am predicting an upset based on the seedings. ;)

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..the new BWF website is undergoing maintenance. I know they haven't had their full servie and links updated (like head to head link, players profile link, WR links etc.). So, hope it'll be updated and up & running again, soon..

I wonder though, if LinDan were to lose vs. Gade, will that deflate the excitement of the MS field??..:confused:

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    slightly but not all

10. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    LD sure win
    maybe easy win....

11. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    .................. ding ding ding .............
    i have the results
    LD shall fall under PG and LCW will rise as the WC09 champion.

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    good good good:p
    but,we will never know
    if peter good enough to beat ld here,he might also beat lcw

13. staples

staples Regular Member

Peter Gade is full of talk. The Dane usually shows a lot of confidence but then only to lose in the match. Nevertheless a great ambassador for this sport! Unfortunately this is the end of the road for Gade at the Worlds. Of course unless Lin Dan receives a death threat. haha

Gade is not bad of a player but he just can't match up to Lin Dan's level.
    Lin Dan has beaten Gade when the latter was in his prime. Now it will be even easier. :)

14. staples

staples Regular Member

I think that was in the semi's too. In the final I believe he lost to Chen Jin.

15. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I think Peter Gade will win because of Yonex superior Technology :)

#55 SibugiChai, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  16. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

well said. I doubt how long "badwally" has been following the badminton sport in the last 10 years...;)

After sitting on WR#1 spot comfortably for so many years, won 2 WCs in a row and OG last year, LD has reached a stage that he is no longer in need to prove anything to anyone.

He decided to take a comparatively good rest, not care about WR#1, therefore missed so many competitions, not because he is not able to sustain good level of playing.

To me, to certain extent, on one hand,
    - LD after 2008 OG is like TH after 2004 OG, achieved a big win, no more need to prove himself as the top player of the sport, and re-think about his career strategy, may switch and concentrate on major title competitions...
    - LCW after 2008 OG is like LD after 2004 OG, suffered a big set-back, keen to prove himself in the following years, want and need to win everything.

on the other hand,
    - LD-after-2008 would not be like TH-after-2004, TH laxed a lot after 2004, lasks of training, more concentrate in his own private life, plus problems in his national team, and therefore no longer able to sustain his level of play consistently. LD is more determined in dedicating himself to badminton sport and therefore would not allow himself to lax (although he may play in fewer competitions but concentrate on major ones).
    - But I doubt LCW-after-2008 could be able to achieve the same achievements that LD-after-2004 was able to achieve between 2005 to 2008. He may be able to retain WR#1 for some time (as LD may not be interested to take it back by entering every competition to regain the WR points), may be able to take 1 o 2 of the major titles (amongst the 3 AEs, 3 WCs and 1 OG up to 2012 from now, SC and TC is too remote as he doesn't has a good enough national team, given that WC is now once every year).
    - And don't forget that as LD is determined to focus on major titles now, he would also win many (at lease 1 or 2, or even more) amongst these chances, And I further doubt LCW could be able to level his head-to-head record with LD given that LD would be subject to less fatigue and injury problems by entering fewer competitions, although LCW for sure could beat LD once or twice a year, like every year in the past.

so don't worry LCW fans, I guess he should be able to retain the WR#1 ranking for quite some time. But everyone knows how desparate LCW wants to win a WC, and perfectly by beating LD on the road... therefore if LCW could not beat LD and take this WC, it would really hurt him...

However, personally I really and hugely doubt at the end of their career, as an ultimate judgement on their overall achievements, LCW would be as great as LD as many LCW fans like to claim....

17. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Gade and even the current LD are humble gentlemen, showing respects to fellow players, unlike the arrogant talks from Malaysian team, see the link below if you know Chinese....

http://sports.sohu.com/20090813/n265913810.shtml

this just show how desparate people around LCW wants LCW to win... too bad that such desparation and selfish will could twist humanity to such rude manner and make me look down on them... :(

18. yyclub

yyclub Regular Member

I support PG.
    In order to have a chance, he need to take 1st set. If LD take 1st set, it is as good as gone.

19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    On the contrary, I belib LD has a lot to prove because of his new Sponsor Li NING!

how ironic if LD start losing after using Li NIng? :cool:

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is worthy of a poll. :)