Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jul 26, 2009.

1. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I agree with Twobeer that there's no secrecy behind the development of the Arc Z. Yonex is doing what motor corporations have been doing for years. They introduce the product early in it's development stage and build hype around it with teaser pics and product information.

2. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

Hi, I'm new here but have been visiting on and off. Eagerly awaiting for the Yonex Z-S review! Z S sounds like a sports car. Could meant real fast!

3. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

but it's working right? a lot you guys seem to be pretty interested:p. there are no conclusive pictures, reviews, or even specifications and yet somehow we have 14 pages talking about a racket only 1 person knows anything about hahah
    the evil empire never fails at hyping things up hahaha:D:D:D

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Is it working?? Will more people pre-order this than if they would have made no teasers?? I don't think I am pretty representative as I buy forzas, victors, babolats, mizunos, Yonex, Li Nings etc. top models just to keep up with the racket tech anyway, out of curiosity :)

This is really the first time I have considered NOT to pre-order from my local YY-man, just BEACUSE of this stupid ad campaign :)

/Twobeer

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Twobeer , from my expierience , you are very knowledgeable with new racket tech , and the materials the manufacturers are using.

Do you test all the new rackets? By playing with them or by literally tearing them apart :confused:.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I don't tear them apart (at least not intentionally) . I test them by playin alot with them, and also collect info from other players experience with the rackets etc. to draw my conclusions! I am always very curios about new tecnologies introduced, that could potentially benefit Power and/or control of the racket :)

I find it exciting to see different racket trying new things and something like "darwin" good ideas will take a hold and "survive" the test of time, other will just be "technology of the day", and will be replaced by tryinging something else in the next gen rackets..

I find this fascinating, and it is really fun to try out new rackets as well!!

Cheers,
    Twobeer

7. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

I don’t think there is anything wrong with this particular campaign. This campaign isn’t unlike any of the other ones that yonex has launched, whether it be the arcsaber series or the nanospeed series. You personally might not like the whole hyping up a product approach, but it is the only way to generate interest and sell products. It would be absurd not too. Look at movies for example, or upcoming cars, they all need to be hyped and advertised before the release date. if yonex did not advertise or try to generate a little hype around the z-slash, and they all of a sudden released it at the Japan Open without notice, I guarantee you sales would be lower in that quarter than compared to the approach they are currently using.

8. MetalOrange

at least they're telling us it is launching 19 Sep. oh, that dreaded long wait. Ants might not have in hand the same color (official "launch") racket. Maybe, his version is everything but the difference in color, thus, he's got to hold and hold. Perhaps he's done already with his playtesting but have to wait for the new(er) paintjob. Or, they may even do an Arc Z Slash, Arc Z Flash, Arc Z Blast, etc. Thus, color is pretty much guarded as well for the meantime. The teaser just teases the copycats so much more. Kinda doing the pump fake!

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Why would a sudden release at JO be without Notice?!? They could still launch it with a bang there even without these silly "we will release something" ads.. Probably the impact would be even greater, if they indeed have something uniquely good, and prepared the sales channels :)

Most YY sponsored players and shops I've been talking to have been totally unaware even of something "arriving" called "arcsaber z", if you google "arcsaber z" you get something like 2000 hits on google (whole internet!!).. So I would say viewed as a marketing campaign it could really be regarded as very insignificant.. Maybe they have approaced dealers in Asia more than delaers here?!?! but I really doubt this type of "no content" campagins really generate much solid sales..

Btw you mentioned cars as example..I think most car manufactures do the opposite, even show "demos" of the cars in public long before it is efven decided if they will put it in production, and officially reveals specifications and options very early, and take pre-orders, before the first ones are built etc..

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yes...all of those hypes are intended for 1 group of audience..

..and they are for us BC suckers who keep on oggling and salivating at whatever new rackets are coming out (whether from YY or LN or Victor or RSL or Apacs or SOTX or Carlton)..:(:eek:

11. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    You've all made some interestng points of views.

As a marketing consultant I have a slightly different perspective. It's become a major part of marketing these days, whether it's badminton or online products to create lots of interest by a long build up.

Surround the product in mystique and continue to put out little teasers every 2-3 weeks just to keep the momentum going and get a buzz or forum talk. Look how many replies are on this post already- we're on page 14!

It's classic marketing and yes Yonex are very good at it, but they're certainly not the frist to use it.

Will it work? Only Yonex will know. Personally, I think there will need to be a good few reviews before players will succumb to the lure of the new racquet. That said, the reviews have got to be very good as this is going to be priced around same as Nanospeed 9900.

If the reviews are good, you and I will want to get hold of it and try it for ourselves. In marketing terms the reviews are known as "social proof." It works just like your friend recommending you try out the new restaurant down the road. If they recommend it, you'll most likely go.

The final piece is the "puppy dog" close. In other words, get you to try it for yourself.

All I can say is put your ego to one side when testing a racquet. Test as much as possible and remember, the racquet is there to support and enhance your game, to cover your weaknesses and improve your strengths. If it's not doing that then look again.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Here's the rough translation of the "hyped" up new racket...

http://translate.google.com/transla...em.rakuten.co.jp/itospo/arczs/&hl=en&ie=ASCII

Btw, if a racket, esp. a high end one, i invest in will appreciate in value, then i'd consider purchasing it. But if the value depreciates (just like every other racket out there) then i'd say "FUHGEDDABOUDIT!!!"..:cool:

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I know this type of marketing "fashionable" thing to do..That what makes it even more annoying imop... When this first was done it was probably a success for that campaign, but these days it is just becoming obvious, stupid and to frequently used imop.. It is done everywhere, and I frankly think many "experts" in marketing are so used to "assuming" and hyping the methods of marketing as well.. As you say you can always blame the product if it sales fail, and claim it was the marketing campagin that was ingenious if sales are fantastic :p

/Twobeer

14. BUnstable

BUnstable Regular Member

Student
    Hmm, will it low down the prices of the other racquets?

15. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    It could potentially be more effective to not advertise a product at all. Certainly, if we may speak of higher institutions, those are the most expensive (and hopefully most profitable) investments you'll likely make, and the elite universities do not necessarily seek out students, unless there is really some prodigy that's that exceptional. Nonetheless, they get tens of thousands to apply. Why? They are reputable schools that are known through mainly oral glorificiation.

Such then, if a product is released without widespread public knowledge, those who stumble upon said product, and find it to be of great quality, will most likely share news of it. It would then become more and more prominent, and perhaps seem more unique. You could say this about the smaller badminton equipment manufacturers which have gained some fame through these forums and others, outside their usual respective regions of sale; namely APACS, Sotx, Chao Pai, Li Xiang (?). That would probably cause the greatest disturbance, as people would wonder and discuss why the product was not openly advertised, producing a tumbleweed effect, if you will. One may even apply this to Li Ning's rackets right now. It is not marketing to the rest of the world outside of Asia, and are comparably expensive, yet people are still interested in purchasing them.

16. ignatius95

ignatius95 Regular Member

Student
    4 Days left till the review "Debut".......

17. MetalOrange

Arc Z Slash should slash Li Ning's high priced sticks (which I believe is just a ploy to bump his stock market value, Li Ning's gotta face his investors ultimately). Once the novelty wears off, people just wouldn't care that much and it'll be muted and the price should level off itself within a reasonable order (by then, all the quality could go with it as well). Li Ning will be just another brick in the wall. YY is tried, trusted and proven. Thus, no matter what comes out of the much hyped Arc "Z" serie(s). YY would still continue in making quality rackets within its set parameter of quality at value!

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Li-Ning must be doing a pretty good job, If you have to write them down even in the arc-z-shlash review page :)

/T

19. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Who knows? Yonex may have reverse engineered a Li-Ning racquet. :D

Based on the Arcsaber series, this racquet should be an even balance/stiff racquet, I suspect.

Maybe some minor improvement on the Arcsaber 10, based on the input of customers/players, and comparing competitor's racquet.

20. canti

canti Regular Member

Student