Is it fair for compensation from racket clash?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mettayogi, Jul 7, 2006.

1. ShyYen

ShyYen Regular Member

BadmintonHolic
    In this case, i would for sure demand compensation from the girl. Dinner & movie at least :D

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Good point. However, if I clashed with a partner and I was obviously totally liable, I would replace his/her racket. I think the best idea is for the partners to sort it out between themselves. Most of the time, your partner is a friend, so you should be able to come to an agreement quite easily. If not, then just buy a new racket; alright, it's probably not going to be cheap but rackets don't last forever, you've got to accept that.

#62 Danstevens, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Funny 'coz just last night, a friend broke his/her partner's racket. I don't know if they had an agreement, but it's about time for him/her to buy a new one. I haven't experienced destroying somebody else's racket, but I have experienced someone breaking mine ... and I got sad and low that I weren't able to play after that. The one who clashed with my racket didn't offer to pay for it, though. But I didn't push for a replacement or anything. I just try to avoid playing with him as much as possible. Not that I don't like him as a person. But hey! I can't risk sparing a couple of bucks to buy a new one. We're still friends, just not partners.

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's okay if you feel that you need to compensate to somebody if you clashed with them, but it's certainly absurd if somebody demands compensation, especially if it was a clear accident.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Got a chance to re-visit this thread.

I wonder, if there's really a rule of "paying for the damaged racket", what about if someone hit the net, chopped a feather off the shuttle, mis-hit the shuttle, which stuck on the roof, basketball hoop, or even like Panda, who hits so hard, and shuttle can last no more than 5 mintues? :rolleyes:

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    :eek: Can the Panda really hit that hard? I thought he was absolutely awesome, but not that awesome, surely.

Athelete1234, I agree. If it really is an accident and no-one is at fault, there is no reason for compensation.

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Me & partner went for the same shot thus hit each other racquet... mine break but his no harm...

He insist of paying me but I say no... althought I am damn poor that time but it still feel not right.

Its all about sports... ! I was a penniless student back then... aiy0 but principle is more important!

8. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I fully agree with you and admire your acceptance of the fact that accidents happen.

If you buy a very expensive racket, it is your risk, not the risk of others, of accidentally breaking it.

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    that's why i have a racquet brand *TWILIGHT* to play alongside Beginneerr... :D

10. chewablemorphin

That's a good idea to, if a beginer is under pressure to buy someone an expensive racket, they probably won't continue playing the game.

11. Pisthetairos

Pisthetairos Regular Member

Student
    Gotta agree with people saying that you take the chance of breaking something when you walk on the court. Think the waiver the club I go to has you sign even says something about it; not that I read it very carefully o,o;; That being said, if you're willing to waive your right to litigation over physical injury during a game, it seems kind of petty to not be willing to do so for your racket >.>

12. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

what about this situation
    note: LH means left-handed, RH means right-handed

players are in side formation. LH player on right side of court plays net shot. Opponents give half court lift. RH player on left side of court shouted "mine" but both swung for a smash. RH player's racket broke. clearly the shot is meant to be taken by the RH player right? shouldn't the LH player stay front after playing a net shot anyway? and the RH player has shouted clearly that he is going for the shot.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Still doesn't matter. Would you argue for compensation when this is a risk of LH and RH playing together? Heck, it is still a risk if both are LH or both are RH.

In fact, let's say some people are indeed very stubborn minded and continue to ask for compensation. As the point was made that badminton is a social game, the result will be the stubborn minded person will find it harder and harder to get games when more and more racquets get broken.:p

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I played with an exHK player and I am no beginner. The guy swung his racquet for a backhand shot that was on my forehand. His racquet crumpled, mine was OK.

15. druss

druss Regular Member

This thread has been going on for a while and I'm fairly new here but in the 20+ years I've played, including college and provincial mens open, I have never even thought about this subject.

I've had plenty of clashed rackets in my time and never have I thought that I would make the other person pay if my racket ever broke. Sure I've been upset over having a clash but that's just part of playing, fault or not. If they offered then we could work something out but to be honest with you it would depend more on whether they could afford to replace the racket than whether they were at fault that would determine whether I accepted.

I have 10+ rackets so losing one, even a good one, would not hurt me very much but what about the guy I clashed with? Even if it wasn't my fault and the guy broke his racket I'd probably give him one of my cheaper ones so that he could keep playing. I play this game because I love it, anything that happens that would dampen that feeling I would just ignore or try to fix.

16. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    i think that if the person you clash with is honest, he/she will offer to compensate you for your racket if he/she feels she is majorly at fault. otherwise, it's too vague to call.
    likewise, if you feel somewhat at fault, just offer to compensate some for the racket
    sure, you can follow defined "rules" but exceptions occur all the time.

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

hmmmm

Did we come to the conclusion that nobody should be forced to pay compensation but sometimes fair to offer compensation ?

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    was your racket U/2U cab 20 versus his 3U/4U racket?:D

19. chewablemorphin

That is correct. Except that asking for compensation warrants a free punch in the face.

20. bilbobaggybum

bilbobaggybum Regular Member

Department Leader
    I have not read any post's just the title, it is all part and parcle of the game.
    It's all a shake of the dice people, if your break a racket due to a clash then if you claim compo you are saying your partner has ment to smash your racket (which I doubt).
    Every time you step on to the court it,s a calculated risk. If you know your partner and have a good understanding then you know exactley when to swing or not, but if you don't know them or know they are reckless take an old racket or hold back. Yes guys I know this is kind of an essay, it's some thing I feel strongley about:eek::eek::eek::eek: