Brooklyn Open 2009

Discussion in 'USA East' started by LazyBuddy, Oct 25, 2009.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
  2. Won888

Won888 Regular Member

One of the worst run tournaments. No pre-made draws/brackets. Screwed up match-up resulted in 3 teams in the semi-final. Own club players received double-byes.

3. Feathers16

Feathers16 Regular Member

Personally, I like this "home-made" fun tournament. I can feel that the organizers are trying their best to hold this local event.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, no need to try to run down others in the public this way.

As part of the event running staffs, I admit that due to lack to experiences, we did made mistakes such as 3 teams in the semi once. At the end, I believe we used "round robin" format to get the 2 teams for finals. Yes, it's not the best in the world. However, I really wonder how many non-pro organizers never ever made a mistake ever once in their lives.

I really do not see what you mean there's no pre-draw. In every tournament we run, we have pre-draws, or groups (if round robin format for certain events). Of course, if the event is "drop down" format (everyone starts in A, then divided into B, C, etc) then of course the new draws for B, C, etc flights will NEVER be there at the very beginning, until the results of the 1st few matches.

Regarding byes, well, I am sure that's happening everywhere in the tournament, unless you have a perfect 32, 64 participations. I've been help running the events for 5,6 years, and we never did any intention double bye. It may happen, due to player being disqualified (i.e. no show, injury, etc). Please know the reason, before accuse anyone.

Overall, most of the participants like the effort we put in, and they enjoyed the experience. Most of them coming back each year to support the event, from newbies to ex-international level of players. I do not think we will make everyone happy (well, no one in the world can anyway), but we certainlly are doing our best to be fair and helpful to all players.

I really do not know what's your true intention to say something like this in the public. Well, if you like it, great. If you do not like it, please be responsible about what you say, and do not simply lie about it, if you do not know. For the draws and the byes, please open your eyes at the hall way, where we post all the results and draws, I am pretty sure everyone in the event saw it, besides you. :p

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the support. We are not perfect, but we are trying to improve here and there. ;)

I like the word "home made", we exactly trying to make evyerone feel like being home, being in a family. If someone is looking for world level of competition, or $5 million prize, we can not provide. If they are looking for a fun but also competitive tournament, here we go. :D

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Reminder: deadline is coming up

Up to this moment, I believe there are still spots available for events. Please register before deadline, when you get a chance, to secure a spot. After deadline, if any spots still open, I think you still can register, but it will be based on "first come, first serve" basis. If too many ppl in the waiting pool, then we can not gurantee you registration will be accepted.

In case you do not have a partner, we will try to pair you up with others in the same situation. For such cases, please contact Sunny (manager) in person, and you can find contact info from the website.

Again, the deadline is 11/2, and actual event is Saturday 11/7. Wish to see everyone here to have another day of competition and FUN. :D

7. Won888

Won888 Regular Member

Brooklyn Tournament

You don't need to have 32 or 64 pairs. For example, when you have 28 pairs, you should use a 32-team bracket and give 4 teams a 1st round bye. Just write downn all the teams on a white sheet of paper and do 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc. may result in 3 teams in the semi.

You want facts. Go check last year's MD "draw" and see how many byes your club players Alex/Ivan received.

You want another fact. Here is another EXAMPLE of what happened last year. 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6, 7 vs 8, 9 vs 10, etc were fine. But then, somehow, the winner of 5 vs 6 ended up playing against the winner of 9 vs 10 instead of the winner from 7 vs 8. What the :mad::(:confused:????

It wasn't your fault 'cos you were helping inside. It was the people outside that played favoritism and treated the "draw" like a kindergarten drawing board.

Go look at the draw and see if I am telling it as what actually happened. And that wasn't the first time/year that screwy things happened. One year, there was 12 pairs and the "draw" had 8 pairs in the top bracket and 4 pairs in the bottom bracket. WELL DONE !!!

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    What's your real intention about lying?

Ok... Great you can really bring up such details. Now, I really wonder your real intention is. I assume any regular participant will never try to "memorize" (assume they are the fact, which I highly doubt) such a lot. Well, is it fair for me to say that you really on purpose try to run down a long term local event, or hmmmm...

Let me try to give you some fact, first, Ivan is NOT our club member. He did participated in some tournaments, and we welcome his participation. However, with nearly hunderd regular club member on the roster, if we really need to favorite some "locals", then, we have maybe 100 choices before Ivan. :cool:

Regarding some "un-usual" match ups, I have to tell you that it's much easier to complain rather than running the event. Many ppl register late (after dead line), and some ppl tend to show up late. So, instead of them dis-qualify them on the spot (15 inutes rule), we trying our best to help. So, you can see some ppl show up late, but we still let them play. But instead of an entire draw waiting for 1 player, we have to insert them into the last draws. Therefore, a small section of players may be effected. However, once we have to do such, we try to make the best decision on the spot, to be fair for everyone, but unavoidably, some ppl may not feel too great.

Also, please do not teach me how to do 28 pairs. I believe I very well explained that in my earlier post already, and that's exactly what we did. ;)

Regarding 12 pairs, I seriously do not know which tournament you joined and whether you simply make it up. For MD and MXD groups, we usually have 30 to 50 pairs, and even WD, we normally have 16 or more. If less than 16, we do round robin, which has no bracket what ever to begin with. I never ever see 12 pairs to begin with.

Overall, the tournament is not perfect. Not perfect because we think about the human factor, rather than the robust "rule" factor. We try to give everyone some competition, as well as FUN, rather than kick you out because you stuck in traffic something.

If you want to help us by giving some constructive advice, great. If you want to run down other clubs, because you have your own favorite, or simply lying w/o knowing anything, please do not even bother to waste everyone's time. :(

#8 LazyBuddy, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I found it's a bit funny when compare your 2 posts. 1st one say there's no draw, 2nd one say there is (of course, you do not like it anyway).

Show some creditability, before accuse others, please. My advice, if you want to tell a story, please think carefully, and make sure your 2nd edition is not slapping 1st edition's face on the spot. :eek:

10. Won888

Won888 Regular Member

Brooklyn Tournament

If you really want to know... A pre-made draw is one that is "pre-prepared" before the tournament using the normal 16, 32, 64-team brackets. Not one that is made on the go with a big white drawing paper on game day.

If you have pre-made draws (stored in a computer somewhere), then you will be able to go back and check the facts that I have mentioned. Of course. you don't have that.

Sunny is a good guy but he is letting some inexperienced club members running the game assignment board on game day and screwing up the "draw". See the quotes each time I referred to your draw...

Say what you want buddy... While you are a nice guy, you are not the one calling the shot over there.

I have no intention of "running down" this tournament or any other tournament. I am just telling it as it is (or lies if you want to call it that way) that I have observed over the years (even before your time) with this tournament. No one person or group has that power to "run down" a tournament.

Incidentally, were you at the CP tournament over the weekend? Now, that was a well run tournament. Alright, that's is not a fair comparison 'cos the NYC Open was a much bigger tournament. A better comparison is the annual Noodle Cup which is also a 1-day tournament. That is another well run tournament that doesn't get much publicity. I don't even see any posting about the 2009 Noodle Cup on Dec 5 here. Perhaps, I should start a new post to help promote that tournament. See, I am not here to "run down" tournaments. I love to "promote" well-run tournaments.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, let me softern my tone a bit. Regarding the "draw", it was pre-made, yes it's on paper, not on a PC. Yes, it contains last minutes changes, however, as I said before, mainly due to the club trying to help the later comers.

I think our difference is on the definition of "well run". To you, seems the rulez should be in the first place. Sure, it will be more organized in a way. However, many changes happened because we are trying to help the players at the last possible moment, due to late registration or late showing. As a result, ppl who are waiting longer or being confused may not like it, but for ppl who finally get a chance to play, and did not waste $20 due to a traffic jam, etc are very thankful for our extra effort.

I usually tend not to make comparisons in between as there are too many factors. It's same like compare a nail bitter pro competition vs. a joe doe level club fun playing. Do you automatically say the pro match is "way better", while the club scooping around "one of the worst" match ever? Which game is more "fun" or "better"? It depends on you, see which type fits your taste.

Anyway, glad to see that you to help promote other events as well. If my earlier assumption came out due to emotion, my apology. However, I still suggest you observe the incident from both sides of view, and try to analyze after evalute the whole story, rather than a quick 5 minutes observation on the spot. ;)

12. hmypnrg

hmypnrg Regular Member

To Won888, I totally understand your frustrations. I have played Brooklyn tournaments several times as well and somewhat felt the same say. However, your replies to LazyBuddy becomes very irrespective. As you said, it's not LazyBuddy's fault that you had unpleasant experience there. You could/should have toned your replies like a discussion or suggestions. I think it would be a much more effective more to communicate your concerns and problems. This is my thoughts on your replies, from a outsider.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hope I did see a good number of your guys (gals) here today. I reflected some of the suggestions here to the staff, and at least myself put a lot of more effort and thoughts into this years draw. It may still contains some shortcomings, but I hope who participated today can see some improvement this year.

Also, one of our programming expert said he will try to design a better drawing system with PC next time. So, let's hope we can further improve next time around.

Overall, it's a very tiring but fun day for me. Yes, I lost my leg and voice again, but I hope the extra effort we put in this year can make everyone's experience a bit more pleasant when compare to the past. ;)

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the support.

First, I want to apologize on my end, if my emotion got the good part of me first, because after years of effort, the 1st reply just seems hurt.

Second, the entire staff, including myself are more than willing to accept suggestion, but please give it in a positive tone, but not slapping on our head. :eek: Overall, we are the ones trying to put the extra effort to try to make sure others have a good time.

Last, at least we tried another way to improve the draw (at least, on my end). Hopefully it can be accpeted by most participants. Again, we will keep trying, even including the PC program part, and please give us some time, and be patient if some of the ideas do not go smoothly at the very 1st try. ;)

15. shreky

shreky Regular Member

.... and the winners are????

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I assume the web site will be updated with winners and some pictures any time soon. I will keep you updated. :p