How Do We Define A Good Coach?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by pBmMalaysia, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    ABSOLUTLY NOT!

The equation only work the other way around:

Achievement = right material + (a compentence) COACH + (a billion other factors e.g. familly matters etc.)

I would be more impressed if a coach can get something out of a initial bad player (BTW how to measure right/bad material???).

Concerning achievement, it should be relative, so I rather define it in relation to improvements, if at all it is relevant.

Don't forget, is the question about just defining a coach/trainer in general, or specific for badminton and do we only try to define the good coaches/trainers or both good and bad?

Once I had two classes, where I pratizied very different teaching methods. For the first class I experimented a lot, and for this class the meeting protocool (what do u call it in english?) for the students became very low. For the second class their meeting was relative more steady!
    Theese classes played on a low level and just wanted to have fun, hence tournement achievement was not the most important!

So can U conclude that for the first class I performed bad, and for the second class I was relative good?

One of U mentioned the relationship between teacher and student, which is a very interesting point! I mean no matter how good the teacher is concerning badminton, the teacher is not in control of factors like chemistry! So maybee it is also about finding a match!

(BTW: this is late, plz u r welcome to correct my english, as I want to learn).

Merry Christmas

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes, u r right about the equation! i purposely put it that way and probably u r the only one who spotted it (it's been 5 days n only your post!).

a coach can only produce some kind of results when she or he has the right material. i think a lot of us would agree on this.

the right material here refers to player - physically, mentally, hard-working, u name it he got it type.

then comes the coach's ability and his or her training technique....

and finally, whatever from the above will be the achievement..

and a happy new year to you! ;);)

3. geee123

geee123 New Member

business
    Talks only when it gets results

A good coach will never speak without a good cause. If they talk too much, they will never actually be listened, so a coach is a person who should talk only when necessary - this will give their words an extra weigh.

4. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    a silencer

yes, i would agree to that to a certain extent, say only what is important but on the other hand some say those who don't speak much is slow in their thinking..
    well we can't afford to have one sitting in our back when we are playing a tournament, can we?:p:p

5. LeeCW

LeeCW Regular Member

Engineer
    a good coach will not coach a session with 20 students :rolleyes:

6. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    a coach with 20 players?

hmm.., sad to say, it can be true and also not true, it will depend on the program - what the coach is up to?

off court season - the more the merrier!
    on court skill training - also the more the merrier!
    on court tactical training - unless elite group (those semi finished goods!)

of course there are times a coach has to spend on a smaller group and like i said it will depend on the program..;);)

7. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Interesting thread and some great points raised.

I'm an Advanced Coach based in UK. I've worked with junior squads, individuals, beginners and trained youngsters to international level.

The first one or two sessions will determine whether the coach feels the player has potential to progress and reach the standard they aspire to. After that, it's down to the coach to ensure that they get the correct training to meet their abilities and the player to put the effort in.

The coach also has to be able to adapt and coach various ways to achieve a goal rather than being inflexible. The coach must therefore quickly understand the players learning style and playing style and adapt the sessions to maximise the players results.

The coach must also be outwardly focussed. Only the player and their results matters. I've seen too many coaches who try to build squads of "their" players who they "produced." Rubbish! The coach must allow the player to grow and obtain as many badminton experiences as possible, even if that means seeing another coach.

A coach does not produce anyone. They assist in the accomplishment of skill, but, at the end of the day, the players must master the techniques and skills in order to progress.

The coach should continue to be up-to-date and not set in their ways. New thinking is developing all the time due to the changes in the sport. Players are fitter and faster and therefore the game is evolving. A coach must embrace change and update their thinking and coaching to fit with the developing game.

The relationship with the player and their progression is always in a state of evolvement. A good coach recognises this and nurtures the player beyond their previous level of competence.

A coach must be a confidante, friend, teacher, brunt of bad jokes and many more things. The bottom line here is that the players must trust their coach because, at the highest level their results may depend on the coach delivering the right advice at the right time.

A good coach will also be there for a player in spells of poor form or to help them through injury and onto court again.

In others words, a good coach has got to be more than just a coach. They also need to recognise that they can't do all of this for too many players.

Hope this helps.

To your success

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

mitchkaynmicah likes this.
  8. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    First, everybody dont play to become elite players, for some the social is more important...

Second, to learn to play against various players with different styles and skills can be important.

9. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    right, as sparring partners and team training..

10. LeeCW

LeeCW Regular Member

Engineer
    20 students mix level ranging from beginner to intermediate or advance in a group,
    it is imposibble for the the coach to manage in a 2 hour session. this happened here because money matters!:eek:

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    i would say that is a normal case here everywhere, the coach doesn't have more time to split the classes with less players or too costly to him/her if the same rate is used .....

however, if he or she knows how to split them into mini-sessions and add another hour, i think it's manageable.

12. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Imagine to have one hour for 20 students, only once a week, beginners and some few a little better, and you never knew who was there for each session - mission impossible???

An extra co-trainer can be a good idea, a trainer does not absolutely be one person. Al the stuff that e.g. Paul... mentioned might not be realistic to find within one person!

Perhaps the perfect trainer is a team !?!

13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    what we do in pBm, we split into groups, and after 2.5 hrs, we are sure to drain everyone of them! at any one time 36 minimum and on sunday it goes up to 48 trainees - 1 coach and 3 assistants. depending on the program in almost every session they do strength, resistance training, simulation drills and skill corrections and physical exercises..

14. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
  15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    very impressed! i think not easy to find people with such dedication to train the young and he truly deserves the award!

by the way when did lcw pick up badminton and how many years he was with coach teh?:)

16. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    Actually Lee only follow Teh for only 4 years will full training, more than 10 times a week with the fees only RM50 a month because his family is quite poor that time. Lee get all penang state senior champion by the age of 16 and Malaysia under 18 champion at the same year with the first round beat the best player from bukit jalil. So he was chosen to join Malaysia team then. BTW, Chin Ee Hui also come from Teh as well.:)

17. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    so coach teh has contributed in the early days of lcw which makes him who he is today!:)

18. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    in this coming day, Teh is coaching another one to replace Lee Chong Wei place. This new one only 12 years old. Last year he is Malaysia under 12 boy single champion. Malaysia already send him a lettle ask him to join Malaysia team.
    Teh told his father not to do that, because all the coach inside cannot take care of his son. No coach inside can take care of his son. If he go in, at the end will end up nothing. Later i will post his training in my webpage. Hope u all enjoy it.

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Is it Loh Kean Yew? 2009 100 Plus Junior U12 GP FInals Champ For Boys Singles.
    http://tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=30D8F06B-300D-4F0F-B4C2-8A9A43C70EAC&d=20090614

20. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory

You know this boy? this boy got a brother, right?
    once he and his bro also follow Teh if i not mistaken, but now i din't see him come training anymore.
    the match u show is only circuit. In the tournament u show, the girl Tee Jing Yi is also come from Teh.
    The boy i mean is Jin Wei, later i will show his performance in my site.