elite back up/back up player 2010

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by limsy, Jan 6, 2010.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I just noticed Limsy didnt post this news : Roslin Hashim has retired as player and will be roped in as Hendrawan's assistant coach. Should be in yesterday's NST.

#141 eaglehelang, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dude, you mean I cant be honest and upfront here? I cant call a spade, a spade?

I mean we had that discussion about Lydia Cheah for example. She is just average, some State level kind of shuttler. I am just being honest here. A crime? You lot need to be able to accept the other side, rather than throwing a rant everytime you lot come across something not to your liking.

As for the rest of our elite back up or juniors, there are average in standards to me. Yeah, the trained hard and all. Yeah, they put in a lot of sweat. But they are just going to be average and no more than that.

3. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes, you have said it! we should imagine these players especially the back-up or those up and coming just below lcw - they are trying so hard and if they can't make it through a place for 2nd or 3rd place in singles (with wch around) imagine those stresses.....

cheer up all mas players! there is always a 2nd chance and we are all behind you!:D

4. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

With 400 over postings in over 2 months, you are indeed walking the talk. Need to promote that badminton academy in the forum and maybe rope in a few students, eh? ;)

5. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

you luv to attack Lydia Cheah... i noticed. She must have offended you very much. This Look like a personal attack.

No one in the elite and back up is good enough to your std. Since there is so many clubs in Malaysia now,why dont u joined one and starts to train some of the so called ten years old and prove to us u can do it your way.

I wondered is Lee Chong Wei good enough.

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

U should read the posts on the LCW thread ;)

7. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    thats great news! roslin has fresh experience being a player turned coach so soon! and it will ease hendrawan's job and taking care of the back-up players..:D

8. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

It is really funny and amusing how you lot passes judgement. I criticised Lydia and you lot go on a rant and accused me of attacking her personally. BUT ... BUT when you lot intrude on the shuttlers' personal lives (WMC/LCW breakup or Roslin's divorce threads) ... its all ok, fine and dandy stuff. To you lot, I guess passing comments about WMC's breakup or Roslin's wife are not considered as offensive or rude.

Really, the double standards are just amazing. Anyway, please, please show me where and when did I insulted Lydia personally. I said she is an average shuttler. For your info, thats no personal attack.

Anyway, I guess if you think my comments about Lydia are personal attacks, I will respect your stand. I do not agree with you but I will agree to disagree with you. Unlike some, I will not resort to names calling.

LCW? Yes, he is good enough to be MAS#1 and the WR#1 but he is yet to be good enough to perform and deliver on the big stage. And this is a fact.

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

This is interesting

Ahh ... I like this.

Ok, 2 things ....

First, in our current elite back up or back up or juniors or whatever, who do you think have what it takes to make the breakthrough?? Be specific. And lets set a benchmark when we say 'make the breakthrough', shall we set the benchmark as winning one SS title outside Malaysia?

Secondly, l am not running you down but when you want to develop or build something, you got to do it from bottom up.

10. lung5488

lung5488 Regular Member

Pemuda, let's not be so negative, I somehow still have faith in our players =)

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dude, I am not negative. Just being candid and realistic here.

Really, if our elite back up/back up or juniors have some substance, we wont be going to the TC this year toying with the idea of having the likes of HH, KBH or WCH for the 2nd & 3rd singles slot. Thank god we are not asking Eddy Choong or Punch Gunalan to come out of retirement.

The sight of us having still to rely on lame horses like HH & KBH is testament that we having nothing in the pipeline.

12. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Maybe BC should charge him advertising fees for that badminton academy that he tried to promote.:p

But personally, i dont think that he can break Georgeboys' record.:D

13. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Yes. They rained hard, with tonnes of sweat. But at the end, results speak.

14. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    That's so true. What matters is the end is what colour the medal is. As usual, there's a but.

Maybe what does really matter is to not lose hope. That's optimistic, they'd say. The pessimistic one, of course is that might is right, but that's the end of it. This is not a poetic sentiment, this is a fact. While we are indeed struggling to produce more and more LCW (s) and we couldn't, there must be something wrong, either with the input or the process. But before criticize, wait. Before you write, think. Will the real objective of criticizing be fulfilled? And there you go, discussions.
    And not having agreement is not a passport to say your counterpart is wrong. Lydia Cheah is a state level player. A mere opinion and of course debatable. I am sure the person who said it would love to be proven wrong.

15. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

I would like to point out that in the first place you hardly know any of the current junior player to gauge them. Why write them off.

If you knew you would able to tell who are the potential one and some of those who take the trouble are able to tell u.

I am not saying that Lydia Cheah is exceptionally good but boy... give her a break and dont put her down like she is trash. She happened to be a reasonable good player who need a good coach who understand what sort of training she needs.

Every "state players" can be developed to world class beater eg Tan Boon Heong is one of those. It just need the right approach.

16. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

In another 3 to 4 years time frame, if anyone cares to follows there will be some juniors who will surprise the world.

In the junior scene now, it is the girls that is going to dominate soon.

17. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes, i buy that!

in the old chinese saying, even if a drop of waters keeps falling on the same rock it will change its shape (something like that..).

latest news having roslin helping hendrawan is good and those players can learn some tournament experience from him...

our juniors are still young and lcw has been motivating them as well...this can tell you the atmosphere during training.....:D

18. eaglehelang

Today only I have time to look thru my files, this is the article :-
    http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/opi3r90uw3rl_/Article/art_print

Roslin to assist Hendrawan

By K.M. Boopathy

2010/02/27
    THE burden on national singles back-up coach Hendrawan will be reduced with Roslin Hashim appointed by the BA of Malaysia (BAM) to help him.
    Hendrawan has been in charge of Hafiz Hashim, Kuan Beng Hong, Chong Wei Feng, Liew Daren, Tan Chun Seang, Arif Latif and Goh Soon Huat over the last eight months.

Singles head coach Rashid Sidek feels that the Indonesian needs an assistant and has requested BAM to look into it.

Veteran national player Roslin will begin his duties once his salary is finalised. The national grand prix finals in Johor Baru this month will be his final tournament,

"We have been looking for an assistant for Hendrawan as he has been handling seven players and it is tough to give more individual attention with so many players around. That's why I have suggested Roslin," said Rashid.

"Roslin has had some coaching experience (with Nusa Mahsuri) and he is still fit and can be useful as a sparring partner for the back-up players.

"Since Hendrawan is quite meticulous in his methods, it is good to attach a local coach with him as he can learn from the Indonesian. Roslin was very disciplined as a player and he will be able to help the back-up players.

"The faster BAM confirms his appointment, the better for Hendrawan as his players will enter the final phase of training for the Thomas Cup Finals once they return from the European tournaments."

Hendrawan was initially tasked with training only four back-up shuttlers but BAM has put elite players Hafiz and Beng Hong under his guidance last June.

Hendrawan had to give priority to Hafiz and Beng Hong as they were part of the Laos Sea Games squad and this, to an extent, hampered the progress of the back-up players.

However, Roslin's presence means that Wei Feng, Daren and Arif would receive more attention in training.

In 2007 Roslin threatened to take BAM to court for omitting his name from the Singapore and Indonesia Opens but this time, he will be seeing the national body for a good reason.

19. eaglehelang

On Ong Soon Hock, whom I call the 'yapping one'. :p

The Star Online > Sports
    Monday March 1, 2010
    Ong on verge of making his biggest breakthrough

By RAJES PAUL
    PETALING JAYA: Ong Soon Hock’s last name has the intonations of good fortune in Chinese but it has not been smiling on him in his badminton career for the past four years.

He almost quit the game after coming down with a rare disease in 2006-2007. And then in December last year he wanted to leave the national team like team-mates Lin Woon Fui and Khoo Chung Chiat due to a lack of outstanding achievements.

But the love for the game had always brought him back.
    And thanks to his perseverance, he is now on the brink of making his biggest breakthrough in his career – earning a place in the squad to the Thomas Cup Finals.

All he has to do is to impress the selectors with his partner Hoon Thien How at the German Open, which will begin on Wednesday to book a place.

In January, Soon Hock-Thien How strengthened their bid for a place in the squad after a sensational win over defending champions Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung of South Korea in the first round of the Malaysian Open. And Soon Hock feels that this could be his year after so many ups and downs since joining the national team as a junior 10 years ago.

“For the first time, I feel that I have a shot at achieving something special in my career.

The win against the Koreans brought back self-confidence,” said the 25-year-old Soon Hock.

“In 2006, due to a virus infection of my nerve (shoulder), my progress in badminton was hampered. I went for seven MRIs (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) before I was finally diagnosed with the rare disease.

“I wasted one and half years of my career but I did not give up. I was not ready to throw in the towel – not until I get to at least feature in the Thomas Cup and Olympic Games.”

He came back strongly after that with Tan Bin Shen in 2008. Their highlight was breaking into the top-16 bracket in the world just within a year.

His game was topsy turvy following several changes in partners last year but this year, he is determined to get it right with Thien How.

“I almost gave up the sport in December because I was heading no where in my game.

“But the coaches decided to team me up with Thien How and we are looking at a chance to make it big this year,” he said.

In the German Open, Soon Hock-Thien How will face England’s Chris Langridge-Robin Middleton in the opening round.

In the same half are Singaporeans Hendri Saputra-Hendra Wijaya, second seeds Chen Hung-lin-Lin Yu-lang of Taiwan and Malaysians Gan Teik Chai-Bin Shen, Chan Peng Soon-Lim Khim Wah and Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong.

“This tournament is so important to all the Malaysian back-up players. Thien How and I will go all out to do well.”

The top seeds are Chong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and their main challengers in the top half of the draw will be Chai Biao-Zhang Nan of China.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2010/3/1/sports/5768298.asp&sec=sports

20. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

Yes. Lee Chong Wei have been a good leader trying to encourage the rest to catch upwith him.

He not only encourage the boys but the girls as well. Mew Choo too do spend time to spar with the back up girls.