100 Years of All England born a New Star, Kenichi Tago

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by bennydut, Mar 13, 2010.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    In fact Japanese Badminton Association already have a facility for the Japan Team to practice together. But since many of them are working in different part of the country like Sanyo ( Osaka ) , Unisys ( Tokyo ).. they only gather together for SS tournaments for those who are participating..

2. SeizeTheDay

SeizeTheDay Regular Member

IT
    Link to Chinese report:
    http://www.badmintoncn.com/News/c/201003/20100315190905.html

Interview with All England Dark Horse: Obviously felt Chunlai was nervous Hard to beat Lin Dan

Successfully defeated Chen Jin and Bao Chunlai and advanced to final, this infamous Japanese player, Kenichi Tago, all of a sudden became this year All England the most dazzling star on the court, letting the Japanese media to a surprise and called this "the most magnificent feat for Japanese athlete since 1966". Due to language barrier and not knowing how to voice his opinion, the shy Tago could only giggle at the reporters. Finally found a Japanese translator, he was then able to express his happy feeling for the battle that made him famous.

Q: Have you thought you would enter the final before the tournament?

A: Truly never thought of, when I saw the draw before the tournament, first round against 7th seed Ngu TianMind, I already felt it was difficult, in the end I played all the way to the final it was fantastic. Because my level of achievement have not reached the world class level, and later I had to play against Chen Jin and Bao Chunlai, I have not never defeated the two. I gave myself a target not to defeat them, instead I hoped I could bring out the best of me.

Q: The win over Chen Jin at quarter final, did that give you a big boost in confidence to triumph over Bao Chunlai later?

A: Yes, I played very energetic on that match, and he seemed to be not in his best form, we played three games, very intense, but I seized the opportunity during the crucial point. This victory was unexpected initially so my coach and I were extremely happy after the win, I felt I had successfully accomplished my mission; therefore with regards to the next day match with Bao Chunlai, I simply did not put much thought to it, I would be fine with whatever the outcome.

Q: The victory over Bao Chunlai was beyond expectation, right?

A: Extremely unexpected, before I was on the court I had been wearing earphones listening to music, very relaxed, on the court I did not think of beating him to advance to final, just concentrated on the game itself, but I could clearly felt that Bao was tense, might be he wanted to win badly, ultimately he was not at his best level.

Q: Have you thought of what if Lin Dan defeated Bao Chunlai, you against Lin Dan?

A: Then it would be very difficult to imagine, after all Lin Dan was the Olympic champion, is the world's most powerful men's singles, against him, I feel that it will be difficult to win for sure. I was kinda looking forward to his game, but unfortunately he lost to Bao Chunlai. I thought that he could defeat Bao Chunlai, it seems like he is not at his best lately.

3. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Some athlete thrives in less training while others can't afford less training! On the contrary Tago might not do so well with more training;).

Mind conditioning plays a big role as well I guess in Tago's case:).

4. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

It's actually good for the sport to having dark horse(s) every now and then. Some proves to be the next World Champ and some just fades after a couple of fantastic performances.

Carpe diem

5. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for posting the interview, SeizeTheDay.

There is a video inteview of KT here but he does not say much ... too tired and in disbelief after beating BCL probably!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmPpm_WEiWQ

6. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

The performance of Tago in All England was really impressive. However, I believe that a player true ability must not be judged by his/her performance in a single tournament. The more accurate test will be his historical performance for a period of time. In the case of Tago, he played 9 out of the 12 Super Series events in 2009. The results are as follows:

1. Korea round 1 lost to Andre Tedjono :crying:
    2. Malaysia round 1 lost to Park Sung Hwan :crying:
    3. All England round 1 lost to Chen Jin :crying:
    4. Swiss round 1 lost to Lee Chong Wei :crying:
    5. Singapore round 2 lost to Park Sung Hwan :eek:
    6. Japan round 2 lost to Park Sung Hwan :eek:
    7. Denmark round 2 lost to Chen Long :eek:
    8. French round 2 lost to Peter Gade :eek:
    9. Hong Kong semis lost to Peter Gade :)

For 2010, the All England was his first tournament where he reached the finals. Based on the above historical performances, we can see the improvement.

By reaching 1 finals, can we now disregard the past performances?:confused::confused:

7. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I agree, but his young age makes looking to the future more exciting than the past :D

I hope he can do well at the Swiss Open, there will probably be a new pressure on him now... No LCW so he must win right? :p

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Ye Gods, look who he's had to face :eek:. He did get further as the year went along. And at the AE 10, he avenged his defeats to CL and CJ

9. wptheme

wptheme Regular Member

Web Designer
    I think thats against Chen Hong rite?

10. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    What do you mean, 'disregard'? Who is 'instantly' the best at anything?

How about your place at least some regard of him now beating some of the top players in the world, and that he's still very young, and doesn't play badminton full time.

:rolleyes:

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think he was only 19 when he lost those matches, and those are A-list players he lost to (except for Tedjono and Chen Long, who are close to A-list). I'd be more interested to see the scores and who he beat in the first round.

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    HONGKONG Open 2009:
    KT beat WCH in 3 sets
    KT beat Tanongsak in 2 sets
    KT beat Chan Yan Kit in 3 sets
    KT lost to PG:12-21,13-21

FRENCH Open 2009
    KT beat Jan Jorgensen in 2 sets
    KT lost to PG: 18-21,15-21

DENMARK Open
    KT beat Anup in 2 sets
    KT lost to CHen LOng:21-15,18-21,17-21

Japan Open 2009
    KT beat Ng wei in 2 sets
    KT lost to PSH:10-21,21-19,4-21

13. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

Emiko Ueno is not kenichi Tago's mother
    Yoshiko Yonekura is ;)

14. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Looking forward to see his progress in the Swiss Open. Then, we have more to talk about tomorrow :D

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i was going to rectify that (as it was printed as Emiko Ueno, in several articles, thus the slight confusion)..you jumped on it earlier..:cool:

#75 ctjcad, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  16. Angelineayht

Angelineayht Regular Member

Student
    What time does the Swiss Open starts tomorrow [MAS Time] ?

17. undeadshot

I'm not sure. Go to www.tournamentsoftware.com and check and google the time zone :D

18. undeadshot

Alright, I checked it. It is 7 hours before Malaysia time, which means 10 AM on the second day would be 5PM here. Guess I can't cheer for KKK/TBH, Fuzzy, GTC/TBS or CEH/WPT, as their matches are probably close to midnight. But there's still TAGO!!! :D:D

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    seems everybody has Tago mania here..I heard that Tago becomes newsmaker in Japan as well..which hardly covers Badminton..I guess it is publicity for Badmitnon too

20. Angelineayht

Angelineayht Regular Member

Student
    Tago's match is 4pm at Swiss which means 11pm in Mas.
    Too late la..:)