100th All England more prestigious than Olympic Gold?

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by jojandy, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

A 100th AE title is more prestigious than Olympic gold? I don't think so, it might beat Olympic Silver though.

2. undeadshot

Why are we comparing LCW to Lin Dan here? No one can deny that LD's achievements are far greater than LCW. We are just supposed to discuss on whether a Olympic Gold can rival a 100th edition of the AE, which I think the Olympic Gold is far greater.

3. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    The fate of badminton in Olympic still hang in balance...we do not know whether
    it will remained as participating events in the next few edition or not...we as fans view Olympic as the greatest of them all...but the organiser might not....:crying::crying::crying::crying:

4. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    I honestly think that Misbun Sidek is a joker and he is no more than a 鄉下佬(uneducated villager). The more he talks in front of the media, the more he embarasses himself.

5. undeadshot

Please don't insult him like that. It's not nice, despite of what he says to the media. It is his personal opinion, actually. If you think Misbun Sidek is an uneducated villager, it is your personal opinion too and I accept that but don't insult him here. ;)

6. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    he is embarrassing himself also...forget it...;);)

7. sklee

sklee Regular Member

Production Manager
    Malaysia reward to a olympic gold medalist is RM1 million, even a sliver get RM 300k, how much does Malaysia reward AE champion?

8. undeadshot

All-England prize money is USD200,000 if I am not mistaken.

9. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

what do i think?

personally,i don't really care what dat misbun chap say.
    the way i see it,olympics has its merit becayuse of its rare occurence.but the ae has its merit also because it is the oldest,official badmintont tourney in da world.the olympics nowadays are so myuch inundated by poiltics also.
    da way i see it, if they decide to end da all england next year and da olympics continue on for the next century, then i would say da olympic games are the greatest of them all.

if dat lee chongwei chap wins the olympics in 2012,i wonder what dat miscbun chap is gonna say then?

10. druss

druss Regular Member

Sklee was not talking about the prize money, there is no prize money awarded by the olympics but most countries will reward their athletes who win medals.

Money can be had in various ways, sponsors, prize money...e tc. but to have an olympic gold medal to display is worth a lot more IMO.

11. undeadshot

I'm trying to say that AE title, which is worth USD200,000 might be better than an OG silver which is RM300k, although ultimately it is still inferior to the gold medal.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    of this is my opinion. What misbun had said showed that he sees no hope of lcw of winning the 2012 OG gold, so he is hyping up the AE as better than OG gold title.

13. undeadshot

30 years old. I don't think he can go further uphill from now, especially since he lacks confidence, shown on his match against Tago Kenichi.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that is quite a sum for an AE title. I'm sure no other AE winner got 200,000 USD for a title. Even government reward for an olympic medal is less than that. Of course, OG holder usually garnish nice sum from future sponsors and appearances.

Depending on where the athlete is from, they can be worth much more once the government hands out the ‘incentives’. For example, in 2008 the Russian government awarded $100,000 for gold, $60,000 for silver and $40,000 for bronze. The U.S. paid $25,000 for gold, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze.

The Beijing Olympics marked the first time Canada’s athletes received cash for medals. A gold was worth $20,000, a silver $15,000 and a bronze $10,000.

Here’s a look at what other countries have handed out in the past:

Philippines: Harry Tanamor was the Philippines’ only boxing hope at the Beijing Games - and if he brought home the country’s first Olympic gold, he would have received a promotion from the rank of sergeant, and a cash bonus, according to the Philippine Armed Forces chief of staff General Alexander Yano.

The Philippine government was dangling more incentives to the athlete who brings home the country’s first-ever Olympic gold medal, with the pot now worth 15 million pesos ($313,000).

Belarus: Belarusian athletes who won gold at Beijing were to be provided with meat sausages for the rest of their lives.

Kenya: The President had said that each Kenyan athlete will receive a cash prize of 750,000 shillings for winning a gold medal, 500,000 shillings for silver and 250,000 shillings for a bronze medal

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

dollar wise maybe true if misbun correlate dollars to prestige

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Naaaah, come on. Olympics are more prestigious.

But let's not start calling names. That's pretty classless

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    In my opinion, prestige can be measured based on history, rarity and field strength (which determines popularity as well as difficulty to qualify for the tournament).

The Olympics Badminton Competition, World Championships and All-England have their own levels of prestige. The Olympic Games has the rarity factor (which makes it difficult for top players to win it), but not the strongest field factor (due to severely limited quota in the draw), nor the history (only 18 years old).

The All-England and World Championships does not possess the rarity factor (being yearly events). Although the World Championships have expanded fields of participation, it is still not at full strength (due to quota, though not as limited as Olympics) and with a history only almost double that of badminton at the Olympics.

What the All-England has is the strongest field and longest historical factor. No self-respecting top player would wish to miss the tournament without compelling reason (national service, injury).

However, the All-England does not have the rarity factor, since it is played every year since inception except for breaks during war years. Despite that, even such an accomplished Olympic and World Champions such as Zhang Ning and Taufik Hidayat, did not manage to win the All-England. Though I suppose Taufik still has a chance as long as he does not retire.

18. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Coach Misbun Sidek has described Lee Chong Wei's Yonex All England title as more prestigious than winning an Olympic gold medal.

"You are talking about a tournament that is 100 years old...a tournament that every player wants to win and be known as a All England champion. It is all the more prestigious than winning an Olympic gold medal," said Misbun.

Gotta excuse this coach - he's in a state of illusion. Not all Malaysians think like that.
    Some of my Malaysian friends felt that a bit of 'glory' has been taken out of this win :
    one being the final match point which was out; and two, Tago a qualifier (with due
    respect given to Tago).

All the same, congrats LCW.

19. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    IMHO, LCW's Olympic silver is far more prestigious than his AE title. Granted, pride in our sport is compelling me to say that WC and AE are more prestigious than a multi-sport festival that has us begging for inclusion. But I have to say it as it is, Olympics is far more prestigious. We are on our knees to IOC for a reason.

I believe prestige can be measured within ourselves. If the masses think something is prestigious, it becomes prestigious. If everyone thinks the OG is a pile of s**t, it is a pile of s**t (metaphorically). It everyone wakes up and thinks that Microsoft stock is worthless, it becomes worthless.

So, the best measure of prestige is the level of competition in which individuals/teams fight for it, and the level of passion shown by the audience. With this measure, there is no doubt that the OG far outpaces the AE.

20. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Just stumbled across this topic... and i agree with cooler... Olympics and AE can not be regarded as even close of each other. The AE is just one of 12 super series... The olympic gold is something all athletes strive for in their life time. If lucky enough to enter in the first place.
    LD has shown his dominance for the past running years. As he stated, he is picking his tournaments carefully and i also believe he is striving for his second Gold in 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.