Thomas Cup/Uber Cup 2010 News

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by Loh, Feb 16, 2010.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Saturday May 1, 2010
    H1N1 scare at training camp, Misbun’s not talking much
    It was a bad day for national coaches and brothers Rashid and Misbun Sidek yesterday.
    Rashid’s son was confirmed positive for A(H1N1) and this saw the National Sports Institute (NSI) taking immediate precautions by getting the Thomas-Uber Cup players screened.
    NSI director general Dr Ramlan Aziz said that several players were taken to the NSI in Bukit Jalil to have their temperatures checked.
    “So far, all the players screened tested negative. We will continue to monitor the situation.”
    Rashid did not turn up for training yesterday as he wanted to be with his son.
    Misbun, meanwhile, was awfully quiet during training at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara – because of a painful jaw.

“It is quite painful and I cannot open my mouth properly. I was eating nuts on Thursday when my jaw locked. Fortunately, I will be better in the next two days,” said Misbun.

Yesterday, it was confirmed that women’s singles shuttlers Lydia Cheah and Julia Wong are out of the Uber Cup team for good after the tournament referee accepted the Badminton Association of Malaysia’s (BAM) request to replace the injured duo.

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) confirmed that Sannatasah Saniru and Sonia Cheah would be the replacements.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2010/5/1/sports/6172005.asp&sec=sports

2. badders7

badders7 Regular Member

Bad news for danish Uber Cup team...

Tine Rasmussen is injured in her heel once again and is no longer on the team travelling to KL. She is replaced by U17 player Mette Poulsen, who also played girls single at the World Junior Championships in Mexico just a week ago.

The danish Thomas Cup team also had to change one of the names in the last minute...
    Good news for everyone who wants to see the newly crowned world junior champion Viktor Axelsen as he has now replaced Hans-Kristian Vittinghus, who has an infection in his foot that keeps him from going.

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Without Tine, Danish Uber team is simply weak. But, they still have good prospect to enter QF;)

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

with rasmussen they dont have a sure 2nd point, without, they dont have a sure point against any top team.

danish uber team is simply weak, period.

5. eaglehelang

The news you read is from NST?
    From the Star, the ISN doctor said that all players tested negative, WMC has the flu. Earlier reports say that Tey SB was also ill, tested -ve.

Misbun's wife & kids have been admitted for suspected H1N1, waiting for test resutls. So I suppose they will also test Misbun.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2010/5/5/sports/6189344.asp&sec=sports

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

7. totalsportstv

totalsportstv Regular Member

Media Executive
    I hope all the tests return as negative.

8. lindaweni

lindaweni Regular Member

student
    gosh, I was expecting to watch Tine Vs Febe :(

9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Phew, WMC only has a flu, not something worse. Hope nothing worse could affect the preparations of this Thomas Cup.!

10. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Well, if she doesnt recover within the next 2 days, it could still mean trouble as she wont have enuff time to resume training to be match fit by Sunday. :(

11. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Yes, it could be really bad...and Misbun now suspected of H1N1 too. If Misbun got it, most likely LCW and TCS has it too. :(:(:(

12. Angelineayht

Angelineayht Regular Member

Student
    Misbun got H1N1 not so bad
    If LCW get H1N1 than its BAAAAD

13. eaglehelang

From another newspaper, it quoted the ISN doctor as saying Misbun is under 72 hr quarantine as precaution. THey said waiting for 2nd test result - 1st test was the Monday one I think.

Tv news showed WMC is back in training today.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    06/05/2010

Badminton team not required to wear masks
    KUALA LUMPUR May 5 — No directives have been issued to the national badminton team on face mask utilisation although two of its coaches, Rashid Sidek has been found positive for Influenza A (H1NI) while his brother, Misbun Sidek is down with a fever.

National Sports Institute (NSI) director-general Datuk Dr Ramlan Abd Aziz said wearing face masks during training for the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup competitions would obstruct players” breathing, but they are urged to do so when not training.

"Our national players are also asked to limit their outside activities.

Besides Rashid, Misbun and other family members involved, other coaches and players do not have any health problems,” he told Bernama here today.

Recently, national singles coach Rashid, his wife, two children and Misbun”s son, Ramdhan Misbun, tested positive for Influenza A (H1N1).

Meanwhile, Misbun, who had accompanied his wife for kidney treatment at a private clinic was said to be down with fever since two days ago.

On reports saying that Misbun may be positive for the virus as well, Dr Ramlan said he only had normal fever and more attention would be given to Misbun”s son, wife and two other children who are currently being quarantined.

"Once his family members have recovered, I”m sure Misbun will return to the national squad, but until then let him be with his family,” he added.

— BERNAMA

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

May 05, 2010

Ami Afriatni

Indonesia's Quest for Cup Glory Begins Anew

Indonesia’s best shuttlers are on the road once again in search of long-lost silverware.

The Thomas and Uber Cup squads leave for Kuala Lumpur on Friday as they try to reclaim the world team championships. Indonesia’s men have not won the Thomas Cup since 2002, while the women’s last Uber Cup victory came in 1996.

Despite the extended drought, Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) chairman Djoko Santoso said he had high hopes for both teams.

“We’ve done our best to help you [shuttlers] prepare for the Thomas and Uber Cups. Now it’s time for all of you to give us your best,” Djoko said on Tuesday at the PBSI’s 59th anniversary party, which also served as the teams’ sending-off ceremony. “Bringing home the two trophies, I think, is not an impossible target.”

Play begins on Sunday at the Bukit Jalil Sports Complex and runs through May 16.

Djoko declined to discuss possible win bonuses, saying, “We don’t want to pamper athletes with bonuses.”

------------------------------
    *Full article -- http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badminton/indonesias-quest-for-cup-glory-begins-anew/373337

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

China eyes 4th consecutive Thomas Cup triumph

1 hour, 4 minutes ago

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP)—China is chasing its fourth consecutive victory at next week’s Thomas Cup badminton tournament, while host Malaysia is preoccupied with a leaking stadium roof and a swine flu scare that left its coach quarantined.

Still, Malaysia, led by world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, is likely to have an easy time in Group B against Japan and Nigeria when the tournament opens Sunday.

The Chinese men’s squad—which has won seven times since joining the biennial tournament in 1982—opens its campaign against Korea and Peru in Group A.

--------------------------

Both Indonesia and Malaysia have vowed to end China’s winning streak in the men’s tournament. Indonesia has not won since 2002, while Malaysia claimed the title in 1992 at home.

Indonesia team manager Jacob Rusdianto insists his squad has the edge over Malaysia, saying he believes Malaysia’s strength lies solely in Lee.

“We are much better than Malaysia because we have three singles players who have the same level of skill,” Rusdianto told the Jakarta Globe this week.

Lee says he is confident of doing well, especially if he goes up against his rival, Olympic champion Lin Dan of China, in what would be the tournament’s most anticipated face-off.
    -----------------------
    *taken from Associated Press through Yahoo!Sports, read completely -- http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-thomascup

17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

May 07, 2010

Ami Afriatni

Indonesia Opens Cup Play With Unfancied Australians

While the opening day of the Thomas and Uber Cup finals may look like a cake walk, Indonesia knows better than to underestimate any opponent.

When the men’s and women’s badminton team championships kick off on Sunday, Indonesia will face an Australian squad bent on providing the crowd at Kuala Lampur’s Bukit Jalil Sports Complex with an upset.

Both the men’s Thomas Cup and the women’s Uber Cup matches start at noon local time and will be broadcast live on Trans 7.

With all of Indonesia’s shuttlers enjoying an overall higher world ranking than their Australian opponents, both the men and the women’s sides are expected to cruise to wins.

The Indonesian men have been drawn into Group D with Australia and India, while the women will face Australia and Denmark in Group B play.

While Indonesia is confident, Thomas Cup team manager Jacob Rusdianto said he was not leaving anything to chance.
    -----------------------------
    *Read completely through the JakartaGlobe.com -- http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badminton/indonesia-opens-cup-play-with-unfancied-australians/373821

18. simonlovers

simonlovers Regular Member

Uber Cup: Indonesia Shines, Japan Staggers

KUALA LUMPUR May 9 (Bernama) -- Indonesia kicked off its Uber Cup campaign impressively by defeating Australia 5-0 in the championships' group ties that begun today at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil near here.

World number 19 singles Maria Febe Kusumastuti of Indonesia strolled through her match against Leanne Choo (World number 87) of Australia by winning 21-13, 21-5 in only 26 minutes.

Maria's confident opening inspired her compatriots doubles Greysia Polii/Nitya Krishinda Maheswari who outshined the Australian pairs Renuga Veeran/He Tian Tiang 21-16, 21-11.

Greysia said that during the first set, she and partner Nitya began quite 'shakily', letting the Australians overcome them with a few points ahead, in the ealier minutes of the game.

"Because of this, our opponents could catch up with 16 points. However, in the second set, we were more confident and played better," she told Bernama when met after the match.

Indonesia's winning streak in the Group B match continued as both its singles Adriyanti Firdasari and Maria Kristin Yulianti and doubles Shendy Puspa Irawati/Liyana Natsir beat their respective opponents in straight sets.

In the Group C ties however, Japan, had to work hard before taming the Germans 4-1.

Its first singles, world number 13 Eriko Hirose, was proven no match to Juliane Schenk of Germany (world number 11), losing 15-21, 12-21.

Schenk made another 'deadly' appearance in the doubles, partnering Birgit Overzier and the Germans managed to drag Japanese pair Satoko Suetsuna/Miyuki Maeda to a rubber game before bowing out 17-21, 21-18, 11-21.

Japan's chief coach Park Joo-bong was not happy with its team's rocky beginning and blamed the 'windy' situation in the stadium.

"We had only one day to practise in the stadium, and during that time the stadium was not as windy as today. However, we will find measures to overcome this," he said after the match was over.

Indonesia will meet South Africa Monday while Japan will face Russia on Tuesday for another group match.

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newssport.php?id=496720

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Indonesia denies split within Thomas, Uber Cup teams

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Mon, 05/10/2010 9:10 AM | Sports

Indonesia has rebuffed media reports of an internal split facing its Thomas Cup and Uber Cup teams now playing in the championships in Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysian leading English daily New Straits Times quoted Indonesian men’s ingles player Sony Dwi Kuncoro as saying that the cracks had affected the morale of the team and its preparation for the tournament.

Sony was speaking after his team blanked Australia 5-0 in the opening match on Sunday, which saw him sitting on the bench.

*Read completely -- http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...enies-split-within-thomas-uber-cup-teams.html

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Thomas Cup: Stadium for flying kites, not shuttles

2010/05/10

THE Putra Stadium is not a place for world class badminton.
    The stadium's strong draught has left several players fuming on the opening day of the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals yesterday.

Former Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat said that the stadium was a perfect place for kite flying instead of badminton.

"It is not conducive for badminton. I think it will be a perfect arena for a kite competition. The wind is so strong in here. I had problems controlling the shuttle in my opening match," said Taufik, who helped Indonesia beat Australia 5-0 in their opening Thomas Cup Group D tie yesterday.

The 29-year-old defeated Australia's Jeff Tho 21-12, 21-12 to give Indonesia their first point.

"I thought I was flying a kite in here. All the players are facing the same problem. However, I should not make the draught an excuse. I have to give my 100 percent to help end Indonesia's title draught."

Taufik is determined to help Indonesia win the Thomas Cup as he wants to dedicate the title to his pregnant wife Armi Dianti Gumelar. "When I played in the 2007 World Championship, my wife gave birth to my daughter and now she is almost due with my son. I hope to bring back the title for my family," said the delighted Indonesian. Meanwhile, China's Lin Dan said he will be forced to take a cautious approach in his matches because of the stadium's draught.

"I need to get use to the conditions here. I should be able to adapt with it after a few matches. My match against my Peru opponent today (yesterday) was more of a warm-up to adapt to the draught," said Lin Dan who thrashed Antonio De Vinatea 21-4, 21-6 to give China their first point in Group A. "I hope everyone in the team had a good try-out against Peru. We need to be at our best form when we face South Korea."

China's next group tie is against Korea tomorrow.