China’s chance to win the Thomas Cup for the 4th time in a row (POLL ADDED!)

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by AlanY, Apr 19, 2010.

?

Who will win the thomas Cup 2010?

Poll closed May 12, 2010.
  1. China

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Denmark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Indonesia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Korea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Malaysia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (please post to specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Through my observation I dare to say we can bank on HH to deliver a point for Malaysia in the 3rd singles. Currently he has improved a lot overall under Hendrawan guidance.

More so when the tie goes down the wire with both teams tied at 2-2 because he held an advantage being one of the most experience 3rd singles.

Yes he blew it in 2008 but he is a changed man/player right now. I can see the calm in him.

I might be wrong but at this moment my bet is on him to deliver rather WCH.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It appears that MAS is getting more support as the event approaches closer

From our latest few posts here, it appears that MAS is getting more support as the event approaches closer.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

And where are the MAS pair now ? I haven't seen them get very far since WC09. MAS in order to win, would have to win 3-0 each time, Even against Denmark they would lose as Denmark have two Doubles pairs and two singles players of Good quality, who are consistent. Here's how I would see Den vs MAS

MS1: LCW vs PG 1-0
    MD1: KKK/TBH vs CM/MB 2-0
    But then....
    MS2: WCH vs JOJ 2-1
    MD2: MZAL/MFMT vs JR/LP 2-2
    And then...
    MS3: HH vs JP 2-3

Sorry but this is how I would see it.

Even against INA

MS1: LCW vs TH 1-0
    MD1: KKK/TBH vs MK/HS 2-0
    But again...
    MS2: WCH vs SDK 2-1
    MD2: MZAL/MFMT vs Chandra/Gunawan 2-2
    MS3: HH vs SS 2-3

Basically against INA, DEN and CHN. MAS can't allow it to go down to the last MS player.

4. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Please. After winning All England, practically Hafiz didnot had any amazing results that including the team event.

Hafiz probably get one point if he meet Korea and Denmark players. But will lost to Simon and BCL.

5. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

One thing that need to be reconsider. Thomas Cup is a team event. Players who had past good experiences in team events will had advantages if they meet to play tough opponents. Or when they in bad spot and need to win to get a point.

So far China had 4 players who win this cup three times. BCL never lost in any THomas Cup matches since 2002. So he will win any of the third single match against any team.

LD only lost once in Thomas Cup event since 2002, if I am not wrong. Though he didnot had amazing results this year, he still is one of the best player and will tough to beat.

CY/FHF also only lost once or twice in Thomas CUp matches since 2004. Though they are not as good as 2009, but they only play as second doubles. Their only tough match if they meet Denmark pair JR/LP.

LYB will rely on them to win 3 points. And not to mention CJ and XC/GZD are not bad players too. :)

6. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

HH blew since 2004.

I would rather bank on WCH. IMO:
    WCH vs JO > HH vs KJ
    WCH vs Kor 2nd MS > HH vs LHI
    WCH vs CJ > HH vs BCL
    WCH vs Sony == HH vs SS (== means just as hopeless)

7. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Only 4 teams had chance to win Thomas Cup this year. And I rank them based on their over all strength.

1.China
    2.Indonesia
    3.Malaysia
    4.Denmark

8. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Hh

Don't you guys realize Malaysia might not even meet China in Thomas cup this year ( and yes , I mean even for MAS to win the TC :p)

For that matter, HH is arguably good for a point against most other countries (probably even Simon Santoso :cool:) if MAS don't meet CHINA in TC.

Not every team in the TC will meet China okay, please...

9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I think Malaysia won't look good against Indonesia, because they have MK/HS on their side. Basically, KKK/TBH vs MK/HS is about the same as LCW vs LD, it's 50-50 and if LCW or KKK/TBH blows it in these two matches, Malaysia is a gone case.

Malaysia should be equal with Denmark, it would turn out 3-2 either way. Why do so many people think highly of Joachim Persson? Sure, he might be good but he is not unbeatable. Hafiz can beat him. JOJ's form has not been that good since the start of the year. Of course, LD rules!'s prediction can come true and I'm not arguing against his prediction.

My order of team strength:
    1) China
    2) Indonesia
    3) Denmark
    4) Malaysia
    5) Korea
    6) Japan

I only put Denmark higher than Malaysia because I think although Jan O' Jorgensen might not be in good form, I personally think he is better than Wong Choong Hann. JP - Hafiz 50-50.

10. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    The whole badminton community knows about this that HH slumped since winning the AE2003. Also from there on he has nothing else to show except 1 Philippine Open somewhere in 2007 I think. We called him names and he was given numerous warnings by BAM and what else..........??

We all know this.

Read my post carefully. My statement was through my observation (of late & TC simulation), HH has improved a lot under Hendrawan guidance. His attitude towards the game is getting more positive.

On his form and stamina, I dare not to say much but judging on his match during TC simulation, I personally think he could gain a point for Malaysia playing the 3rd singles.

Please, dont talk about 2004 or 2005 and those BC years.

11. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    China held a slight advantage in winning TC by being a more balanced team overall especially in the singles department.

For the rest, like Malaysia, Korea, Denmark and even Indonesia had a 50-50 equal chance. Malaysia has the edge out of the 4 for being the host.

What really counts is whether the player can rise to the occasion, mental toughness, team spirit and strategy.

To me the Cup can go to either country and 2010 TC edition would be an exciting one.

12. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Actually, most recent matches only play a small part. H2H also only plays a small part in the mental aspect. Remember how LD won the All-England by defeating LCW last year but succumbed to the same opponent one week later in the Swiss Open? Remember how LCW beat Lin Dan easily for the first time in the 2008 Thomas Cup but LD destroyed him in the Olympics a few months later?

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    CHN is the favorite with a balanced lineup and good reserve in MS but not unbeatable. Agree this TC10 is exciting and the country that plays top form on that one day could win. For MAS to win, LCW and TBH/KKK MUST win. The key player to deliver that one point is HH or MAS 2nd MD. For WCH playing against INA or CHN I don't see his chances being good. Against KOR and DEN (assuming JOJ) possible.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Taking Care of Business.

Thomas & Uber Cup: China ban badminton players from sighseeing in Kuala Lumpur
    China's badminton chiefs have banned their shuttlers from sightseeing in Kuala Lumpur to safeguard them from the H1N1 virus ahead of next week's Thomas & Uber Cups.

Published: 1:00PM BST 07 May 2010

The Chinese men's and women's teams are strong favourites to retain their prestigious titles on May 16 and head coach Li Yongbo said the players had been told to stay safely locked up unless they are playing or training.

"The players have been told to stay in their rooms. They are only allowed to go to the training venue and to the Putra Stadium," Li said.

"We have brought our own medical team with us and are taking all sorts of precautions to ensure none of us catch the virus."

Two of Malaysia's badminton coaches - Misbun and Rashid Sidek - were both treated for the H1N1 virus but have since been given a clean bill of health.

China boast world and Olympic champion Lin Dan as their top singles player in the men's Thomas Cup and he will be joined by Chen Jin, Bao Chunlai and Chen Long. For the doubles, they have named former world number ones Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng, Guo Zhengdong-Xu Chen and Chai Biao-Zhang Nan.

The Chinese women's team features world number one Wang Yihan, No 2 Wang Xin and fourth-ranked Wang Shixian.

"We came here prepared to retain both Cups and that is just what we intend to do," said coach Li.

"I'm confident the teams have it in them to face all comers. We should be standing tall on May 16."

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    China eyes 4th consecutive Thomas Cup triumph
    15 hours, 16 minutes ago

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP)—China is chasing its fourth consecutive victory at next week’s Thomas Cup badminton tournament, while host Malaysia is preoccupied with a leaking stadium roof and a swine flu scare that left its coach quarantined.

Still, Malaysia, led by world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, is likely to have an easy time in Group B against Japan and Nigeria when the tournament opens Sunday.

The Chinese men’s squad—which has won seven times since joining the biennial tournament in 1982—opens its campaign against Korea and Peru in Group A.

An experienced lineup from Denmark is likely to top Group C, which also includes Germany and Poland. Thirteen-time champion Indonesia should dominate Group D against Australia and India at Kuala Lumpur’s Putra Stadium.

China are also the heavy favorites to win the women’s Uber Cup, which will be held simultaneously.

Shuttlers were startled by news last week that one of Malaysia’s national singles coaches, Rashid Sidek, and several of his family members had the H1N1 virus. They are recovering under quarantine, while other players and tournament officials tested negative for swine flu.

The absence of Malaysia’s star singles player Mohamad Hafiz Hashim from the Thursday evening training session left many wondering whether he was quarantined for H1N1.

However, coach Hendrawan dismissed the rumors, saying Mohamad Hafiz was give a day off from training following a strenuous outdoor session in the morning.

“He is not sick. He is just resting after a tiring training session,” Hendrawan, who uses only one name, told reporters.

Malaysia has installed special air purifiers at the stadium and assured the public that there would be no flu threat.

More trouble cropped up earlier this week when a heavy downpour reportedly caused the stadium roof to leak, prompting rain to drip into the spectator stands. Officials have promised to have it repaired before the tournament.

Both Indonesia and Malaysia have vowed to end China’s winning streak in the men’s tournament. Indonesia has not won since 2002, while Malaysia claimed the title in 1992 at home.

Indonesia team manager Jacob Rusdianto insists his squad has the edge over Malaysia, saying he believes Malaysia’s strength lies solely in Lee.

“We are much better than Malaysia because we have three singles players who have the same level of skill,” Rusdianto told the Jakarta Globe this week.

Lee says he is confident of doing well, especially if he goes up against his rival, Olympic champion Lin Dan of China, in what would be the tournament’s most anticipated face-off.

“Everyone is out to scalp me and I am not going to make it easy for them,” Lee told The Star daily. “If I can come up well with what I have practiced over the last couple of weeks, I should be playing more aggressively and faster on court.”

For the Uber Cup, China—which has won all six times since 1998—is in Group A with Malaysia and the United States. Group B comprises Indonesia, Denmark and Australia; Group C has Japan, Russia and Germany, while Group D includes South Korea, India and South Africa.

16. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Couldn't agreed more uncle OTB. Players that has the brightest chance to earn a point must deliver. In Malaysia case it is LCW and Koo/Tan. If both get their job done, Mas will have 2-0 head start and and either WCH, Fuzzy or HH will go all out to nail it. If this being the situation, the opponents would be playing under tremendous pressure because they cannot afford to lose any more. In a reverse case scenario, it will be all downhill from there on. This is what makes TC special.

17. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Regular Member

Engineer
    Solid on the Danes to conquer the Thomas Cup. In this High Heat Situation, no legendary doctrine could be upheld!
    On the Uber Cup, much better it goes to Russia for they are as beauts to their Tennis counterparts. If only England can take part in reality!

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

This TC is the most exciting because anything can happen. The element of surprise coming from upcoming youngsters like JPN and KOR MS and scratch pairing fo MDs would give them the advantage.

As for MAS home crowd advantage, I wouldn't bank on it. The Putra MAS crowd is the scariest. The MAS players have to get off to a good start to get the crowds roaring to energise them otherwise they will be deserted with silence.

But I 'd like to see a CHN vs MAS QF. Can someone explain whether that's possible and what kind of group outcome would lead to that?

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. Depends on JOJ and JP's form. Both haven't been good lately but form can just change anytime. JOJ's advantage is he's still improving so if he can bring along a new weapon to surprise, that will be the key.
    And the DEN MDs usually have the upper hand because they are smarter.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Denmark has been trying hard to win a TC since TC began

Agree with what was said. :):):)

Denmark has been trying hard to win a TC since TC began. Let's not be surprised that they could do it this year, 2010.