2010 Uber Cup Final - Day 7, Saturday May 15th

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by simonlovers, May 14, 2010.

1. event

event Regular Member

Just this video but you can't see what she looks like.

2. event

event Regular Member

I added some photos of Lee Young Sook to this thread. There are also more old ones of Kim Ji Hyun there.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

a couple more sens on the Uber Cup Final..

..so here's the story:
    when suetyan offered me an Uber Cup Final ticket, from her friend, i asked her why is her friend not coming? Her answer sort of gave me some goosebumps as i didn't want to come and watch it, in the first place. But after thinking over it for a while, i told suetyan that i'm willing to buy the ticket.
    It turned out, either my presence was a bad luck omen for team CHN or a good luck charm for team Korea:p....in any rate, the Uber Cup Final turned out to be very2 entertaining, despite the 75% empty stadium.

From what i observed, it came down to attitude and preparation for both teams. In this instance, imo, the younger KOR players had a stronger mental mindset than the younger CHN players.
    For CHN team: as i mentioned before, in hindsight, LYB might've fielded a wrong lineup as imo, WYH hasn't been sharp the entire week. As an alternative, LYB could've fielded WX, WSX and JYJ as the WS players. Although, WSX is the most inexperienced of the four.
    Also, i wonder why LYB didn't bring ZYW along (i know the main reason is that ZYW wants to concentrate on the XD event). IMO, she and YY are currently CHN's top 2 WD players.
    WYH was always a step or half step slow (perhaps of her injury?). While BSH seemed focused and ready to go all out, right from the get go, eventhough she was the underdog. BSH's win eventually proved to be the crucial point. In the 2nd game, WYH's seemed to just lose it mentally (i don't know the real reason, injury?); but only putting up 11 pts is quite telling.
    After her loss, MJ & WXL had the big task of evening-up the tie. Unfortunately, the KOR had the veteran LHJ and they played with less pressure. Add to that MJ wasn't as sharp. I noticed the KORs wanted to put MJ at the back and WXL at the front.
    WX was clearly sharper than WYH, eventhough she was forced to go rubber. If not for SJH's injury, who knows what would happen.
    In the last WD match, i thought DJ & YY would prevail. But the KORs really exposed and tired out DJ, esp. in the 2nd game. There was a long stretch where YY didn't even get a taste of the shuttle, she was waiting and waiting but to no avail. Smart strategy on the KOR pair's part. At the end, all i could see was DJ doing drop shots, being pressured and eventually succumbed to make more errors.
    IMO, the 2 WD matches were pretty even. They just came down to execution and smart tactics which decided the results.
    That was one blunder i noticed from the umpire. At first, the umpire rejected Yu Yang's request. Then eventually allowed the medical staff to see her elbow injury. IMO, the umpire should've made up his mind:allow or not. Not calling it one way and then changing it later.

The other blunder was during the earlier game between YY & DJ vs. LKW & HJE. I believe when the score was 3-2 or 4-2, in favor of the KOR, there was a bit of confusion as to who should receive on which side of the court. YY complained to the umpire as she thought she was standing on the wrong side of her court. And the umpire eventually re-affirm that she was standing on the correct side (her left side). IMO, it was a wrong call as YY should've been standing on the right side of her court. She was the server at 0-0.
    ..not her. But you caught jurong (Randall). I believe suetyan was sitting to the left of the camera, another row up...;)
    ..yes, partly. I didn't realize about that until i saw the lineup. DJ & YY, imo, should've forced the 5th match. But i guess, it just wasn't meant to be..
    ..you are spot on w/the prediction, except for the list of winners and losers for WS1 & WS2..

#763 ctjcad, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..overall, i still think CHN's women's team is still slightly better than the other countries' women's team. However, the competition will be a bit more stiff, esp. now with the KOR's women's team having more confidence after beating the CHN's women's team.

We shall see what transpires in the next 2 yrs and in the next UC edition..i know the KOR's UC team will have a bull's-eye on their back to defend their title and the CHN's UC team will definitely look to get the UC trophy back..

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Year of birth & Age in 2010 of players in Uber Cup final lineup.

KOR
    Bae SH - 1983, 27
    Sung JH - 1991, 19
    Bae YJ - 1990, 20
    Lee HJ - 1981, 29
    Kim MJ - 1986, 24
    Lee KW - 1980, 30
    Ha JE - 1987, 23

CHN (official ages of CHN players - take with a grain of salt)
    Wang Yihan - 1988, 22
    Wang Xin - 1985, 25
    Jiang Yanjiao - 1986, 24
    Ma Jin - 1988, 22
    Wang Xiaoli - 1989, 21
    Du Jing - 1984, 26
    Yu Yang - 1986, 24

In the two doubles, the experience (read: age) of the Lees, I believe was the deciding factor.

I am a bit surprised at Bae Seung Hee's age (older than expected), but in this case, I also think her maturity enabled her to out-think her opponent, grabbing the opportunities offered to her.

Sung Ji Hyun fought well. She is a star of the future, but I think Wang Xin would have won that day.

6. event

event Regular Member

Just for reference, the ages listed by hcyong here differ from those listed here on this Badzine article simply because in the latter case, reckoning is done by birthdate rather than by calendar year. So for example, Sung Ji Hyun and Kim Min Jung, who both have the coolest birthdate ever, July 29th, are counted on Badzine as being 18 and 23 respectively.

7. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Okay, this new "look" confused me, it's like a face-lift...well done Kwunny...you've come a loooong way since when this site started haven't you ? :p

Anyway, I need a bit of help..I tried using the 'search' but can't seem to find anything! I'm sure you guys have posted it like a million times but anywhere I can downloand the Uber Cup women's doubles in the finals with CHN vs KOR or even in the semis? My friend and I are about to play in a doubles tournament, time to watch how our heroes play and emulate them :p

So if you can provide link to download these videos, would be much appreciated. :p

8. miksss

miksss Regular Member

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

adelina76, welcome back to BC after your long hiatus...hopefully this won't be your last before you reappear again in 2 yrs..;)
    For your query, you can try this link (see post #298). Or you can scroll to the previous pages in that thread, should you wish to watch in a different broadcast:cool:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...50-Video-Download-2010-TUC-Group-Match/page18

#769 ctjcad, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010