World Table Tennis

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by extremenanopowe, May 30, 2010.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Singapore won the world table tennis team. A big upset for sure...:D
    A big smack to the face for china. Have to buck up.:D

2. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

?

A little off-topic here, what blades did Singapore team use to beat the Double Happiness blade of China:)?

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    What? That even a much bigger upset than the Uber cup.

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You are right...Upset of the epic proportion, 3-1. Never, never can anyone foreseen Singapore beating CHN. Congrats to the Singapore girls. I wonder what CHN coaches feel now not fielding Zhang Yin-Ning and Guo Yue, arrogance or miscalculation??

5. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    FTW came from 0-2 down to beat DN in the 1st game and clinched the Cup winning game beating LSW, that was a huge 2 points for Sing. BTW, the country that clinches the first 3 games win the Corbillion Cup, and all matches are singles matches, no doubles. Singapore broke CHN consecutive winning streak and in women team event where CHN is stacked with all the superstars in her lineup.
    IMHO, CHN has Zhang Yin Ning, Guo Yue, Liu Shi Wen, Li Xiao Xiao, Guo yan, Ding Ning in that order. Yet CHN fielded LSW, Guo Yan and DN, and the score is 1-3 to Singapore. Singapore won for the first time, truly Singapore Boleh.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    World champs! S'pore beat favourites China in World Team Table Tennis C'ships

TODAY
    05:55 AM May 31, 2010

MOSCOW - In a stunning display of confidence and talent, Singapore's Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu and Sun Bei Bei beat reigning champions and world No 1 China 3-1 in the World Team Table Tennis Championships.

It was sweet revenge for the Singapore women's team, ranked No 2 in the world, after they lost in the world team final and the Olympic final in 2008 to the Chinese.

World No 2 Feng signalled the team's intent in the first match.

On the brink of defeat at 2-0 down against world No 4 Ding Ning, the 23-year-old fought back magnificently to win the next three games (8-11, 3-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-9) and put the Republic 1-0 up in the best-of-five clash.

China must have felt world No 1 Liu Shiwen would set things right against Singapore's world No 13 Wang Yuegu in the second singles. But Wang was outstanding, coolly dispatching 19-year-old Liu 3-1 (11-7, 11-8, 2-11, 12-10) in a huge upset.

World No 3 Guo Yan made light work of Sun Bei Bei, ranked 17th in the world, to cut the lead to 2-1.

This set the stage for a titanic duel between the two best women players in the world.

In a see-saw contest, it was Feng who prevailed over Liu, winning 3-2 (11-7, 14-16, 11-7, 9-11, 11-7) to post one of the best results in table tennis in recent years.

Singapore team manager Eddy Tay told MediaCorp that the team was overwhelmed, knowing that they have made history. "When we came out, all of us were in tears and they were at a loss for words," he said, noting that no one has beaten the Chinese for the past 19 years.

But he said the Singapore team strongly believed they could do it this time.

"If you had watched the match, you would have seen, Tianwei was fighting for every point, even when she was trailing in the first match. That makes the difference when you see the fighting spirit of Tianwei, and she went on to win the match. It really gave a lot of confidence to Yuegu going into the second match. She had never beaten Liu before.

"So I think that made a lot of difference because suddenly, they felt that the past didn't count."

The team will arrive home at 9pm today on an Emirates flight at Changi Airport Terminal 1.

From left, Wang Yuegu, Yu Mengyu, Li Jiawei, Sun Bei Bei and team hero Feng Tianwei give the thumbs up after a tough battle with China. From left, Wang Yuegu, Yu Mengyu, Li Jiawei, Sun Bei Bei and team hero Feng Tianwei give the thumbs up after a tough battle with China.

Attached Files:

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    David against Goliath...little giant against mighty giant...I never expect WGY to have a chance against LSW but she did it...and I really think Sing doesn't have a chance, shoulda watch the darn thing live streaming...one thing Russia put on a great show, and WBF should be smart to adopt, Russia used super looking Moscow chicks to present the medals, truly Moscow Boleh, Boleh:D:p;)

8. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

why the 3rd singles is not Lee JW ???
    she played 3rd singles for most of the group stage.

A big milestone for Singapore TTenis....

china did not field their best 2 player haha.

#8 blindaim, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  9. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

In baddy, it's the usually Yonex and now Victors or SOTXes;). What's the major equipment sponsors in TT Championships:eek:? Obviously China must be Double Happiness sponsored;). How about Singapore? Nittaku? Joola, TSP, Xiom, Butterfly, Tibhar, andro, Killerspin, Niceshot, Donic:confused:? Or is there no team sporting equipments, just official game shirts, shorts and shoes:confused:?

10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    LJW did not play in QF and SF as well. I think LJW is making a comeback in time to qualify for OLY12 and the last tourney she played before this WC team events, she was not up to form and lost in the early rounds.
    CHN did not include ZYN (2X OLY gold, 2X WC) in the lineup and did not field Gue Yue in the final against Sing. That is a huge miscalculation. But not to take anything away from Sing, they played well to beat a lineup that include LSW, Guo Yan and DN, no easy opponents. I really think no nation can take away CHN's women's team crown. If you look at CHN men team, Wang Hao did not play in the final, Wang Li Qin, Wang Hsuai and Xu Chin stay at home. And CHN put a rookie in the final, maybe to groom a succession plan.

I thought Lin Ning sponsor CHN team, but I am not sure what company sponsor the bats though.

#10 OneToughBirdie, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

surprised???..

..i wonder where (from which country) do the S'pore team's ladies come from???..:confused:

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I believe they are players from China rejected from the first team. If you don't want me I will find my fortunes somewhere else.
    The same with Hong Kong players, where there are none as all are from China, including the MD pair that won the Olympics gold some years back.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

i can't wait for Loh's to expound more about S'pore not being CHN's "second team" anymore...>>foreign talent topic, again..:eek:

#13 ctjcad, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

a wild guess, from the world's best TT country?

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It used to be a joke that just because our talented girls came form China, they 'were' China's second team especially after winning the Beijing Olympics silver.

People seem to forget that Singapore invested in their talent, believed in them, gave them the opportunity to shine at the world stage, in the belief that they will one day bring glory to Singapore and help our own local born believe in themselves that if they feel they have the talent and work hard to achieve their goals, they too will become champions one day. :) This group of special girls have now become a role model for our sports people. Had Singapore not taken them in, they would certainly not be near where they are today. ;)

Seriously it doesn't matter where you were born. It matters where you sink your roots in and call it home and give it your best shot.

I reiterate again that Singapore relies on foreign talent since its very beginning, from the time of our early immigrants to the time when Singapore became an independent nation. Many of our early leaders, our pioneers, and some of our founding fathers, were not born in Singapore. But once they take Singapore as their home and country, they gave of their best, they gave their lives. These are the true Singaporeans!

Only recently we saw the passing of one of Singapore's founding fathers, the late Dr Goh Keng Swee, 91, the 'brain' behind many of Singapore's economic, social, educational, military and artistic achievements. Dr Goh was born in Malacca and our MM Lee Kuan Yew had the good fortune of knowing him early as a college student.

One may say Singapore is in a way like a mini-USA, where foreign talent are given a chance to adopt it as their own country, contribute to its greatness and prosperity and influence others to have a more "open mind and open heart" policy.

Of course except that Singapore is so much smaller. But a tiny size doesn't not prevent us from achieving great things either! That's how we now become World Champs at table tennis! But we've also scored many other "firsts" in the past and I expect more in the future. :D:D:D

#15 Loh, May 31, 2010
  16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..for table tennis, i think it does. After all, which country has won the last umpteenth WC titles or the most table tennis titles in the last who knows how many decades??..:p

#16 ctjcad, May 31, 2010
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It has now been proven that China does not have a monopoly.

Korea has taken the Uber Cup crown from them.
    Singapore has followed up with the World table tennis crown ...

So the myth has been cast asunder ... believe in yourself ...

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..in a way, CHN still monopolizes table tennis (although the players are playing for another country)..same thing, say if Canada or U.S. start to get players from CHN and they form its core team, i'm sure they would be as competitive..
    ..i think this is a one off (once in what, every 5-6-7 yrs??)....same thing with the Uber Cup..
    now, if S'pore is able to win consecutive WC titles or more individual titles, then we can start talking..
    *same deal with KOR & the Uber Cup..

#18 ctjcad, May 31, 2010
  19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think it is a mutually beneficial deal between imported Chinese TT players and Singapore. Singapore gets the glory and the imports gets the money. But the girls don't stay. Look what happened to the last great Singapore champion? The present team is the same. Harshly put, they are soldiers of fortune. However, it would be an entirely different picture if the imports get their Singapore citizenship and at the same time renounce their Chinese citizenship. If not the current crop will go back to China to be replaced by new ones. They leave with riches and Singapore gets the glory plus bragging rights.
    Alas, the same has not worked with badminton. From a height it has now disappeared from the radar screen. The Singapore media now has more coverage on American football/baseball than on badminton, for a good reason. No bragging rights lah.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    If anything else, the recent wins that shattered China's monopoly now tell others that China can be beaten ...
    It is now up to the other countries themselves to have more belief in themselves and to strive for higher goals ...