BAM in a MESS! 2010

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ants, May 14, 2010.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Some sensitive items must have been discussed besides the appointment of a new hon. secretary, like www.mmail.com.my/content/38648-what-money. Note mention was made about a few people too. It speculates on not just one person but might have involved others too.
    Now, Limsy what do you think?

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    you go read the comment after the breaking new posted by Anonymous

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

There is a world of difference between an article produced by the paper and comments from the public. I would normally give more credibility to the paper than to readers' comments. The reason is that readers often do not have all the information to form an informed opinion. The press is more professional less they get into trouble for rumour mongering.

Let me ask readers their thoughts here about this article and the comments from a reader. Things like 41 condominiums and late payment to players, in the absence of more information, often lead to speculations of corruption and hanky panky. But is it? Frankly, I don't have enough information to form a fair opinion but I can think of legimate reasons that may be able to explain the late payment, because this happens in business all the time. This is usually a cash flow timing problem, not a lack of cash. Perhaps the treasurer and/or the secretary/accountant could have done a better job in ensuring timely cash inflow/outflow. An example is that projections of cash outflow was on the low side, like winning tournaments with their cash rewards to players (outflow) came out more than projected (LCW winning 3 SS instead of 1) and cash promised by the government or sponsors either were late, reduced or eliminated. In fact BAM did come out to say the same thing or something similar to explain the late payments, which they even referred to as "happy" problems.
    The condominiums belong to a foundation, which happens to be the BAM foundation.
    Perhaps Ants or someone who really know about this can comment on this.

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm
    what do i think?
    the pokemon movie i watched just now is nice:D
    lol

think what?

5. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    the reader's comment inaccurate and the press is more reliable? :D

rewards to players (outflow) came out more than projected and cash flow timing problem not lack of cash? ;)

i can understand you :D

6. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    well, if those words come straight to me i sure make him eat them but that phrase i will still laugh my head off ... ;):p

btw, not all phrases are written by smart learned people... :cool:

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

It is strange that all is silent following www.mmail.com.my/content/38648-what-money, which is a natural fodder for this thread. We have an explosive mix of almost a third of the ING $3 million sponsorship money going to a third party and maybe even to a few more individuals as "agency fees", a 41-condominium BAM Foundation Fund that begs for some clarifications, and some premature comments by an anonynmous reader insinuating some hanky-panky in the late payments to players. At least the BAM Council meeting was apparently prepared to discuss this at their last meeting, which seems to steal the thunder out of any fireworks. Who is the hero, who the villain? Let us see if the intent of this thread lives up to its word.

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    this is strange when one wisdom cannot figure out what is happening:D

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    This ING thingy sure put Rao in the spolight.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Lcw's lost have nothing to do with BAM. We surely have ups and down in a tournament. BAM's job is to maintain a good standard in badminton and to be competitive in the world arena plus ensure that we have a long line of successors to players like lcw etc...from sports development, sports science and support in all areas regarding badminton in national team setup. However I would say that our standard is dropping. I don't think People behind BAM did not meet the KpI requirements. Just imagine if we don't have LCW in the picture.. What can we shout about? Even a simple website is not
    well maintained. If talk about BAM foundation...the condominiums and the money generated from it can't even pay our players. Talk about cashflow... Cash is flowed out from the org. Not into BAM. Can't even sustain the cash inflow and talk about Foundation. This is all bs and plans to revert cash out of BAM.
    ING's case.. Is more about x deal between Ing and proton. Not Bam. That is why ING keep
    mumm about the issue when BAM so called did not "fullfill" it's sponsorship agreement with ING when Ganga secured the deal for BAM sake. Ganga did no wrong when BAM in desparade need of funds when all methods used and idea suggested to the top guys went to no avail. "agency" fee or not someone have to be rewarded for their effort as long as the funds is channelled properly into BAM. Unlike some people who just want limelight as well and their hands on so many things that they can't handle. To be fair this person who is also under pressure from the other company. And yet does not want to admit his weaknesses... And still want to eat a piece of pie in everything. Appointment of the new secretary have it's pros and cons for the org. Don't forget that this person is also a LAWYER. I'm not saying he is no good. He has contributed alot in badminton. Just hope that he is no puppet in this appointment.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Great to find that that 'rude' post has been deleted

Great to find that that 'rude' post has been deleted.
    Our limsy would be pleased. ;););)

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

There seems to be some contradiction here. Based on the media it looks more like Ganga has a case to answer and explain everything. But Ants seems to imply that he has done no wrong despite that giant slice of commission cut. Now, how can you justify that huge commission? BAM is a corporation with government oversight and you don't go around arranging such questionable deals with huge commissions that nobody knows about. Just imagine what the press and members of parliament, especially opposition MPs, will do once they get wind of this.
    Also, it would be nice and proper if contributors here, especially those that take one position or another, to declare here that they have no conflict of interest on this issue or are not in any way in contact with and/or be influenced by BAM officials, staff, players tied to BAM, or anny of the sponsors or their agents.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

To follow up up on the above, I hereby state categorically that I am free of any possible conflict of interest in my opinions expressed on this thread, and that I have no contact whatever with, or know anyone at, BAM, staff, players tied to BAM, coaches, or any sponsors or their agents, directly or indirectly.

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    so what you quoted are based on newspapers reports and posts here and there?

that's amazing!

you really took the time and initiative...

thank you and i wonder why no bcer response yet!

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is to discount any possible conflict of interest. I have been in some key management positions and conflict of interest often reared its ugly head. Let us say if you are a close friend of BAM's president or another a friend of Ganga Rao and yet another person is close to a team member, or you are an interested party with ties, directly or indirectly, with any sponsors, your opinion will then have to be evaluated in the light of such relationship. There is nothing wrong but such possible conflict of interest must be revealed first and the contributor must then refrain from any input and exclude himself or herself from the meeting. It is like when a board sits down to evaluate and then award a large contract and one or more of the members are in a position of conflict of interest without revealing it prior to the meeting and without disqualifying themselves from the meeting, then it is a serious matter. The presumption then is a serious conflict of interest with resultant hanky-panky.
    One of the ways I have always used to "screen" the integrity of every member of the board was to let that chap loose with extensive powers. You will sure enough find out who are the crooks and who the trusted ones.

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I did say Ganga did no wrong in getting the sponsorship for BAM. In regards to "commissions", I didnt say specifically that Ganga received the commissions. Someone would have gotten it thru the party that connected Ganga to ING. If Ganga got the "commission" it would be a conflict of interest. But until now no amount was reveal how much was it. And also in what form? Could be Cash,Dinner,Gifts?
    But what he did was putting cash into BAM. And many internal sources from BAM said that Ganga did no wrong or he didnt do a bad job. But then these people can't say anything public because of the Boss is still around and paying us the salary.

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

i think it must be mind boggling for Limsy dealing with strange ones. You will meet a lot of irrational people in your working life eg.Salesmen, they will go round in circles, dropping names etc etc, in the end all they are interested is getting you to agree to buy something, they are not interested in solving a problem or enlightening others.Their resources are not credible, they use second hand information produced by others such as tabloids, web-sites etc and have no real credibility.You will meet a lot like that when you go around the clubs and pubs in the Klang Valley, they talk for hours going round and round and have nowhere to go and nothing else to do, so they engage in small talk and gossiping about other peoples, affairs like the aunties in the pasar malam or morning market.they get better and better after a few rounds.All they want is some attention and engage people for hours going in circles, what PBM described as Lohso.
    That is not to say they are of no value, they make great party animals and can really make interesting small talk,but most important of all, see them in that light and don't take them seriously
    I take Ants seriously when he talks about insider info, PBM when he talks about coaching basics, or Limsy when he relates how young players think as they have some speciality. I take things with a pinch of salt when people make judgements hundreds of miles away away from the action, relying on newspapers(tabloids even and the internet.)

In the end it is about a person's credibilty, and his intentions, whether he is objective, has integrity or has nothing , all he wants to do is to be entertained ,show off and win all arguments and always have the last word.
    I dont read anything posted by people like that anymore, unless they make sense. Cantonese say " Choi nei tou soh".

But Limsy can actually learn something ,you have to develop the gift of the gab if you want to be successful in sales
    and also when you are trying to impress the ladies, but if you are doing that in the pubs, avoid sensitive and controversial topics like politics or religion or people might send you to hospital.

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Ah yes, those were the days, straight to the pub after a long days work drink and gosip and avoid the traffic jams.

Then we will wait for the Star to arrive, if he does not belt out a KOK he will deliver the latest and juiciest gossip,

sometimes we give people like that titles like "Radio Mauritius" or Radio Bollywood, depending on their speciality.

They would talk and talk , if they had no listeners, they would talk to the barmam, sometimes the lady guest officer,

sometimes even to themselves. They are more reliable than a radio station, but nowadays nobody listens to the radio or go to KOKs so maybe they are found in the virtual world.

Nice to have people around to get the latest, also if one has nothing else to do, but always avoid sensitive topics like the source of other people's pride, politics or people's domestic affairs. I think such characters were frequently seen in soap operas in Wah Lai Toi or even Hua Hee Tai.

19. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    so in this case who do you think is the suspected culprit? since you are neutral and you trusted the media source...

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Are we conducting a trial here? this is a discussion forum and anyone can say anything they like unless they say distasteful things like condemning peoples' family,religion or political affiliations.
    What's wrong if say there are problems in my family, do I have to be transparent and tell everyone in the pub and in the market all my family indiscretions?It is a question of good manners,in Malaysia we act discreetly and avoid being overtly busybody or Pak Quah (no pun intended).
    Anyone here appointed as the resident Inquisitor here,do we have to answer all accusations?
    Say a country is experiencing a lot of problems, would you expect the government to tell the world and frighten away all visitors and investors?
    I think there must be some decorum and respect in forums, there is way too much aggression. If I were to behave like that everywhere I go, my family will shun me, then my friends and colleagues, in the end I may end up talking to myself.