2010 Australian Badminton Open GP

Discussion in 'Malaysia GP / US Open / Australia Open / Canadian ' started by chris-ccc, Dec 25, 2009.

1. event

event Regular Member

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Warren Woolcock, our official tournament photographer, will show us photos soon

Hi event,

I got in touch with Warren Woolcock, our official tournament photographer. He said he will probably have time by tonight, or tomorrow, to select some photos that he has taken (from about 50,000 shots) to add to the website.

BTW, the last few photos taken by him were your whole group of Korean players (and coaches) standing together on the podium celebrating. :):):)

HHY told me that her Korean team shall be returning home tomorrow, Tuesday 20-Jul-2010.

#202 chris-ccc, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. event

event Regular Member

Excellent. Not sure when they became 'my whole group' but I appreciate the sentiment.;)

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BC cheer leader for the Korean team

:D:D:D Hahaha... I thought you are our BC cheer leader for the Korean team. :p:p:p

5. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

haha, sorry for making you so embarrassing when the Korean asked such kind of question. :p Anyway, thanks a lot for your hard work. Haha... Instead, you should buy some Australia souvenirs for her after she got defeated. :D I wonder why all these Japanese youngsters are not joining the National team, instead, they are playing for their club. Maybe they prefer more freedom. :D

6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Hi, event, glad that you are here. Do you know how old is Seo Yoon Hee? Any biodata and picture of her? :D

7. event

event Regular Member

Lots of photos of her here and archive photos of her here and here in articles about her win.

There is a thread open on her but it is in the wrong forum: Thomas Laybourn if you can believe that!

There are also pictures of Seo and Australia Open runner-up Park Tae Sang in this thread.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Korean and Japanese players are lucky to have their clubs sponsoring them

Korean and Japanese players are lucky to have their clubs (not National Associations) sponsoring them to come to participate in our 2010 Australian Open GP.

Also, from your country (Malaysia), MAS players participating here were from KLRC, not from BAM.

#208 chris-ccc, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Seo Yoon Hee became the 2010 Australian Open GP Womens Singles Champion

Out of the 4 Korean WS players, I watched and ranked them (in order of their skills) in this order (high to low);
    1. Hwang Hye Yeon
    2. Kang Hae Won
    3. Seo Yoon Hee
    4. Park So Ri

But Seo Yoon Hee became the 2010 Australian Open GP Womens Singles Champion. :):):)

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It's unfortunate that the dates of the Australian Open and the Canadian Open clashed but at the same time it allowed more upcoming players to gain more exposure and win some prize money since there are not many high world ranking players participating.

Two countries that stood out in these two tournaments were Korea in the Australian Open and Chinese Taipeh in the Canadian Open.

Korea had five finalists and won three events in WS, WD and XD. Japan did quite well to have three finalists and won the MD with high ranking Nguyen Tien Minh of Vietnam taking the MS title.

Chinese Taipeh was be able to field four finalists and also won three events in MD, WD, XD. Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat shook off his shock defeat by veteran Wong Choong Hann in the Malaysian Open to win the MS and "semi-retired" Zhu Lin won the WS.

It is nice to note that young players of Korea, Japan, Chinese Taipeh and India are quickly measuring up to the kingpins in the Asia.

#210 Loh, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  11. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

Well done Seo! I'd wondered what had happened to this feisty young player, so it's great to see her back on the scene again - look forward to seeing her at SS tournaments.

smautf

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Seo Yoon Hee is not young

Seo Yoon Hee is not young. :):):)

Korea needs to find younger players (say younger than 20 years of age).

13. event

event Regular Member

Perhaps Smautf meant that she was when she was last on the scene. In early 2007, she had just turned 22, after all.
    They have. Bae Youn Joo doesn't turn 20 until October and Sung Ji Hyun only turns 19 next week. Next month, more will be on display. I'm assuming you meant singles. The top high school player, Choi Hye In, will be playing in the YOG while her compatriots will all be playing in the junior singles nationals. There are some excellent players there, as always. The question, as ever, is who will not switch into doubles.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Yes, Sung Ji Hyun as one of the best younger Korean WS players rising up.

Perhaps we should direct Smautf to this thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?79701-Sung-Ji-Hyun

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Comments on the FINALS at the 2010 Australian Open GP

Some BCer sent an email to me asking me to comment on the FINALS at the 2010 Australian Open GP.

With little time on hand, I shall give a little comment on each of the 5 matches;

* Womens Singles:

Seo Yoon Hee (KOR) defeated Minatsu Mitani (JPN)
    22-20, 14-21, 21-19 in 58 minutes.

This was the first (and also the best) of the 5 matches to watch. Both SYH and MM showed us how much fighting spirit they have. The match could end up with either player winning. On MM's part, she showed more emotion (frustration and determination) whenever she was winning or losing a rally. SYH was more experienced; therefore she did not allow emotion to play a part in her match. She was fully concentrating and determined to play at her very best.

MM later told me that she couldn't believe that she'd lost and missed out on the US$3,750 prize money. :(:(:(

* Mixed Doubles:

Cho Gun Woo/Kim Min Seo (KOR) defeated Hajime Komiyama/Sayuri Asahara (JPN)
    21-14, 21-10 in 31 minutes.

Both CGW and KMS were focusing to attack SA. But SA did some incredible defence. It was HK who could not inject enough stink in his attack when SA defended so well. Anyway, KMS also played better than her partner, CGW. Being such a tall woman, KMS could return most shots that the JPN players sent to her.

Cho Gun Woo/Kim Min Seo deserved to win the US$3,950 prize money.

* Mens Singles:

Nguyen Tien Mimh (VIE) defeated Yogendran Krishnan (MAS)
    21-14, 21-11 in 36 minutes.

In his match, YK did not try to play his spinning netplay against NTM. YK played quite well against NTM, even though the score-line doesn't indicate it. It was NTM's consistency to return all YK's shots (mainly excellent dropshots from the back of YK's court) that surprised YK.

Somehow, during the second game, YK felt dizzy. He wanted some break (to towel down), but the umpire was too unforgiving; not allowing YK to have any break at all.

* Mens Doubles:

Hiroyuki Endo/Kenichi Hayakawa (JPN) defeated Kang Woo Kyum/ Park Tae Sang (KOR)
    21-15, 21-16 in 36 minutes.

This was an exciting match. I was quite surprised that KWK/PTS arrived at the venue so late (less than an hour, before this match was to commence).

Funny that players have so much problems in this match (2 broken racket frames and 4 broken strings). Both the Korean players had their rackets (frames) broken. And Japanese player, KH, broke his strings for 3 of his rackets. At one rally, KH ran out of court to pick up another racket when he realised that his string was broken. :):):)

I, together with the Japanese team, was hurrying to get KY's rackets restrung ASAP. :eek::eek::eek:

* Womens Doubles:

Lee Kyung Won/Kim Min Seo (KOR) defeated Kang Hae Won/ Seo Yoon Hee (KOR)
    21-17, 21-17 in 26 minutes

This was just a 'demonstration' match. With experienced LKW on one side, we all knew the outcome of this match before it began. So, I took time to move to the Korean camp to talk to Hwang Hye Youn. She told me that she is still having problem with her right foot. It is actually a pain at the bottom of her right foot heel that is causing her discomfort; not her ankle, that many BCers thought was her problem.

#215 chris-ccc, Jul 19, 2010
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    During the Singapore Open, there were a few young Japanese women players whom I have not seen before and some of them also played in the Australian Open.

Here are some pictures of Misaki Matsutomo's Qualification 2 defeat by Tai Tzu Ying 14-21, 21-13, 11-21.

Sorry the pictures are repeated.

And a few pictures of Megumi Taruno, who lost to Maria Febe Kusumastuti in the Preliminary 21-17, 15-2 IMG_0578 MM.jpg 1 IMG_0592.jpg , IMG_0559     M Misaki.jpg IMG_0576 MM.jpg 1 IMG_0580   MM.jpg 6 IMG_0584.jpg - IMG_0558 Masutomo Misaki v TTY.jpg 2 IMG_0579 MM.jpg 1 IMG_0577 MM.jpg . IMG_0562   MM.jpg [ IMG_0592.jpg / IMG_0559     M Misaki.jpg A IMG_0576 MM.jpg T IMG_0580   MM.jpg T IMG_0584.jpg A IMG_0558 Masutomo Misaki v TTY.jpg C IMG_0579 MM.jpg H IMG_0577 MM.jpg ] IMG_0578 MM.jpg IMG_0826 Megumi.jpg
    IMG_0804 Megumi Taruno.jpg
    IMG_0562   MM.jpg

Attached Files:

#216 Loh, Jul 19, 2010
  17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The girl wearing blue is Megumi Taruno

Thanks Loh for attaching photos from your Singapore Open.

The JPN girl wearing red is Misaki Matsutomo. :):):)

But the JPN girl wearing blue is not Minatsu Mintani. The girl wearing blue is Megumi Taruno. She is ranked higher than Minatsu Mitani, but lost to Minatsu at Round of 16 at our 2010 Australian Open. Megumi and Minatsu are teammates, and they played WD together. :):):)

#217 chris-ccc, Jul 19, 2010
  18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    read again
    uncle loh said megumi taruno

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

limsy is so quick to detect errors in our posts

You are quick to reply; before I have time to make corrections to my post. ;););)

20. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Someone mentioned Minatsu Mitani looks like Zhang Yawen. Haha :D