I have a zslash dilemma!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Zslashfan, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Zslashfan

Zslashfan Regular Member

Right now i'm in a dilemma, i got my z slash probably 2-3 months ago and I've been playing with it ever since and it seems my poor skills:( cannot handle the zslash. My clears a only like 1/2 - 3/4 deep and im overall playing worse i'm pretty sure :p.

Before i had my zslash i had a nice RSL millenium 4 heat racket that i kind of miss and think i play much better with because the flex isn't as stiff and my skills i can handle it.

So what i was thinking is that...should i change back to the RSL racket and wait till i get MUCH better then try the zslash out again? or should I keep using the zslash, because i do really like the racket. Do you think i will get used to the zslash? or not and i should wait until i can handle it.

Please tell me what you think! :)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    use the zslash on a good day when you feel sharp

use the RSL on a normal/off day.

that's how i do it. i have some extra stiffy that i can only handle on good days. other days i go back to my normal racket.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Perhaps your hand does not suitable a heavy racket.. as z slash is quite a stiff racket though..

4. Zslashfan

Zslashfan Regular Member

Oh thats a good idea, i think i might do that thanks :)

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Perhaps also you should restring the zslash at a little lower tension to see if it makes a difference.

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Yeah, thaat could be a good idea as well..
    how much is your tension currently?

7. nz2010

nz2010 Regular Member

Try to lower the tension of your arc-z to 1-2 lbs lower than the RSL racket. Also try to use a thicker grip that could help your game. But if you still can't handle it maybe best to sell it and buy another racket. If you like even balance and stiff then go for Arc10, Arc8dx, or Arc 7 medium stiff. If you like head heavy with stiff go for AT900T/P, or you can try head light extra stiff NS9900 or NS9000 s/x.

8. Zslashfan

Zslashfan Regular Member

My zlslash was 24lb but then i restrung it at 22lb and still made no difference really to my game :L
    Yeah, i think i'm just gunna switch back to my RSL racket and when i get better or have a good day use my zlsash

THanks for the advice guys :)

9. Zslashfan

Zslashfan Regular Member

My zlslash was 24lb but then i restrung it at 22lb and still made no difference really to my game :L
    Yeah, i think i'm just gunna switch back to my RSL racket and when i get better or have a good day use my zlsash

THanks for the advice guys :)

10. direstraits

direstraits Regular Member

Professional Whiner
    I was having the same problem with my AS 8DX, where it seemed like I wasn't able to get the best out of it because of my lack of skills. I'm getting the hang of it after about 2 weeks, however, so I think I will stick it out, since I now am minimizing the half-court clears. It is the longest settling in period for a racquet for me personally, and I did entertain thoughts of selling it too.

I did want to advise for a restring to 24lbs, but it seems like that wasn't helping you too much. I would probably then advise you to sell it off while it's still new, and get another top-end (but still sexy) racquet that suits you more.

I think nz2010's advice is great - to add a thicker grip to modify the balance is another great idea. I shall try that, actually.

11. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I do not understand... If you are playing worse with the ArcZ, why do you still like it? If it's adversely affecting your game, you want to find a racket that is more suitable for you.

If its a problem with timing (given the sweetspot of ArcZ is quite small), the situation will improve with time (and a conscious change in timing). If its a problem with technique, it's better to switch to a more friendly equipment.

12. izwanj_79

izwanj_79 Regular Member

Engineer
    Practice makes perfect!!! keep using your Zslash until it feels better than your RSL...

13. Zslashfan

Zslashfan Regular Member

I'm not sure what i meant by that weeyeh, i think i like the feel and look of the zslash but really when i hit shuttle it feels like im off centre most of the time.

One of my strings (li-ning accu 62) broke the other day so I've restrung my zslash to 24lb bg65. Right now i'm thinking i'm going to use the zslash for another week or two and see if the bg65 makes any difference, if not im gunna swap back to the RSL for awhile. Thanks for the advice guys

14. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Silly suggestion... if the problem is with technique, work on the technique. Switching to a more friendly racket (usually lower end) only helps ease the transition.

That feeling thing does complicate stuff a bit. I prefer to play with a racket I'm comfortable with.

The Z is not exactly stiff but it does have a smaller sweetspot than most ISOs. You might not be hitting the sweetspot consistently resulting in your half-courts. Due to the faster swing speed, the Z does take a while to learn even if your swing is good. However, having problems clearing is quite serious as I'd consider clearing a basic shot. Personally, I'd go back the RSL since the Z is not giving you your desired performance. You can always keep the Z like what Kwun suggested. In my case, I sold it because it's just sitting in my bag the whole time.

15. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    user friendly racket like gosen would be perfect to u....

16. garykoh8

garykoh8 Regular Member

engineer
    i have a Arc z and i also not a very good player... when u using ARC Z, u must be very accurate to hit the sweet spot in order to clear your shot.. continue training using ARC Z until you able to hit the sweet spot during every shot unless other wise the racket weight don't suit you

17. andyhs

andyhs Regular Member

BG65 is a thick string. try BG66 or NBG98.
    To use Z-Slash, use a little bit lower tension, to increase dwell time and 'virtually' enlarge the sweetspot area.
    Also, check www.yonex.com and see the stringing instruction for arcz.
    I had few racquets, and string them according to the website, and feel better in repulsion. (Just my feeling)
    Also, if you want to strung at 22, use 21 for main and 23 for cross. Try it, because I had and I loved it.

18. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    do u mean bg66 is best combine with zslash?

19. andyhs

andyhs Regular Member

you can try bg66 (and its variant : maxima, ultima, sharp). Many people love them.
    I sometime use BG66, but mostly using NBG98.
    Some people said that BG66 is less durable. It's true, but not really for me, since usually I'm using lower tension.
    Z-Slash more for offensive player, so if you have power, you can try NBG95 or BG65, otherwise try those strings above.

PS: it's just my personal opinion and experience, may not suitable to your preference.

20. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Sell the ArcZ Slash, go for Arc7.!!