Was Chen Jin cheating?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2010' started by bogensaebel, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    my man, be reasonable la:eek:

the first thing i check was this guy kming (he should be famous by now)

is a guy who likes to bad mouth, bla bla all those things? no, i don't think so.

i have a have a certain trust on certain posters including you;)

this is only a good baddy forum

not a court of law and there are no judges around

likewise if this guy kming needs to submit the proof of what he said

so do you when you ask me these questions.;)

2. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

it would be interesting indeed. voters will only have 'eye-witnesses' and the ambiguous (why would TH only complain about shuttle tampering when playing with CJ/ why should CJ only tamper the shuttle when playing with TH) as factors for deciding. the poll results will accordingly be misleading because they can and will be interpreted in many ways. so, interesting, yes if we want more unnecessary discussion on this increasingly pointless topic.

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I like the CIA thingy. x-files opened. haha. Time to get csi to do post mortem. ;)

A good incentive for shuttle makers to create untamperedable shuttles. lol. ;)

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Haha, yes... It's not like the existing design is set in Titanium and protected by a Kaspersky tamper proof system.

5. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

Slow the shuttle down by bending few tips isn't the cheating thing everyone talks about here (or is it?). A slower shuttle can only be advantage to TH (he is the slower one).

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Post 113 by Brice may suggest otherwise.

Unless i misread... slower shuttles are harder to 'kill' thus benefiting fitter rally retriever type players

7. logatech

logatech Regular Member

Thanks for your reply. Just making sure that I understand you, so your points are the following:

for question 1: you think that Taufik is better than other non-Chinese players, so only he can detect the manipulation. And some Chinese players may also know about this, but because they are from the same country, so they can't say anything about it during any matches with ChenJin.

for question2: Let's first do this. For a shuttle, if the shape, weight and distribution of weight of the shuttle are not changed, anything about flying of the shuttle will not change. If you agree with this, please read on.

You think crushing the shuttle head a little bit can speed up the shuttle, without being noticed. The weight of the shuttle head won't be changed, if you only crush it, but don;t tear anything off from it. Moreover, if the manipulation must not being noticed by naked eyes, the shape of the shuttle head can not be changed. Now the only thing you can do is to press the shuttle head really hard to change the distribution of the weight of the shuttle head. However, by doing this, you will leave marks on the shuttle head, which can be noticed by naked eyes. Therefore, you can not crush the shuttle head a little bit such that (1) the shuttle flies faster (2) naked eyes can not tell.

You also said that brushing the feather to spread evenly can slow down the shuttle. If this is to be done and the shuttle still looks the same as a new one, it will not affect the shuttle, since the weight, shape and distribution of weight of the shuttle are the same.

Please do reply, if you found any other more advanced techniques of manipulating shuttle without being noticed. Thanks.

#167 logatech, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  8. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

A slower shuttle also give more time to TH to move.

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Its time for a new technology to check on the shuttle flight speed and condition. Proactive shuttle monitoring technology. And proactive player cheating technology or cheeky monitoring technology.

Any geeks out there writing open source programs yet? Extend it to nagios please. Am sure the technology will be available soon. And of course, player weight monitoring technology. lol. ;)

10. Contactjj

Contactjj Regular Member

Maybe it is just me. It sounds more like a smearing campaign: cannot win on the court, win it somewhere else.

Regarding the evidence, I will trust the officials on the court rather than taking the word from someone self-claimed 'unbiased and neutral' bystander.

The funny thing is how could only one of the two players benefit from such tactic? They did play the same 'not-so-perfect' shuttle, didn't they? It is laughable to speculate a great legend like TH would fall to 'lowly' CJ because 'not-so-perfect' shuttles.

By the way, what is a 'perfect shuttle'?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thank you logatech.:)

In addition, for point 1) I have seen TH get upset before - HK Open, Macau Open. There's also the walking out at Asian Games in Korea, going into the stands after a heckler in InaOpen, smashing his racquet in Thomas Cup for few others. Just because he hasn't complained against LCW doesn't mean TH has suddenly become an angel. Matured, yes, angel, no.

point 2) can always try it out. Nothing to lose except a verbal warning from the umpire - won't even be a yellow card offence.

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    lol that was a good one!

13. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

just oen question to Jug8man

Suppose we switch the position of Chen Jin and Taufik. Suppose it were Chen Jin who complained about Taufik manipulating the shuttle, showed two shuttles to the judges, etc., did exactly the same as what Taufik did, what would be your reaction? Just be honest.

14. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

So, now we are turning it into Taufik supporters vs Chen Jin supporters issue? I'm telling you, it is incredibly hard to see it form an unbiased point of view. Chen Jin supporters will definitely protect Chen Jin. All those people who have been very vocal against Taufik so far are most definitely China supporters, while those who are vocal against Chen Jin are probably those who do not support China. If this is happening, the discussion is not productive.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A shuttle with even one broken feather will be erratic and the players will insist on a new shuttlecock. Usually, a cheat who wants more time to recover will intentionally break a feather for the sole reason of time wasting to replace with a new shuttlecock.

16. logatech

logatech Regular Member

I don't support accusing anyone without anything to backup. This is not a discussion anymore, if people have reached their conclusion before even trying to discuss about it.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Look, why is it so difficult to understand that a shuttlecock that has been in play can only be slowed down if it can be manipulated to have increased air resistance? Only increased air resistance can slow down a shuttle. A shuttlecock that is in play and then manipulated to have all the feathers bent outwards at the tips will have a larger diameter, which will increase air resistance. It is this increased air resistance that slows its speed. But bent feather tips can be spotted easily and no player can get away with it. There is no way you can get away with it.
    Now, tell me how on earth can you make a good shuttlecock slow down without increasing its air resistance or increasing its drag? By placing three fingers inside the shuttle? By pretending to rub the feathers with your fingers?

18. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    couldn't get your pm answered or still unable to figure out how?

19. logatech

logatech Regular Member

Let's take a step back. Suppose that ChenJin figures out a way of manipulating shuttles (only God knows how) and only Taufik can detect it ( only God knows how). The alteration to the shuttle is small, because it is not noticed by naked eyes when comparing to a new shuttle. Now suppose again that ChenJin also has mastered this, and his service is not affected by the altered shuttle, Taufik will notice when he returns the service. After that, the importance of the alteration is almost none, because pros can get used to shuttles with slight differences quickly. So in my opinion, a more reasonable way would be looking at the statistics of the unforced error rate of the service return of Taufik, when he plays against ChenJin. If these stats are unusually high, then it says something.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is that a question or a statement? The crux here is can the shuttle be altered in a way that is imperceptable yet affect the flight to put off a world class player and not his opponent. Having played a little badminton myself in the past, I think there are a lot of holes in the proposal that the shuttle has been altered. It's far easier and logical to try and play the psychological game of disrupting the opponent's rhythm instead. Wether CJ does it first or Taufik tried it more theatrically is something we as an audience have to judge. And we shouldn't pass judgement naively.

#180 Cheung, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.