Australia says : "Games should not have gone to Delhi"

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2010 - Badminton' started by Thom_bad, Sep 26, 2010.

1. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I've working for an India MNC (owner is one of the richest men in World/Asia) almost 2yrs and my job requires to communicate with mid-high management on daily basis. So I know their office culture very well. On top of that, I'm a SAI devotee, and into Hinduism (goddes and deities). My parents have been to India for pilgrimage so they share all the stories about India with me...

I should not say ill things about India, but I think in terms of capability and efficiency, they are still behind Singapore and HK.

Sorry... off topic... Let's pray for India's success in the coming CWG 2010.... BOLEH...!!!

#41 jimbo, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. AE 86

AE 86 Regular Member

no matter how, i feel that child labour is discourage

3. AE 86

AE 86 Regular Member

they should not be treated in this way during their childhood

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

5. miksss

miksss Regular Member

#45 miksss, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  6. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

7. Angelineayht

Angelineayht Regular Member

Student
  8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

There's also australia or india playing training i tink:D

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I have the same experiences.... they are not punctures... that's for sure...

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ??? punctures? :confused:

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    After hearing all the horror 'tummy' stories, better to bring your own water there. Use the bottled water to brush teeth as well. Always bring some pills for emergency. I've been there. Good luck!

There are bound to be some issues with the food for the westerners.;)

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    and don't always trust the "bottled" water either for drinking, unless you've bought it from a place that looks reputable...

However, if you have the stomach for the food, its great! If you're in an adventurous fame of mind, one of the places to snack out at is Bengali Market. Of course, Delhi is dotted with places big and small that serve excellent butter chicken as well. :)

#52 cobalt, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  13. Isometric_kid

Isometric_kid Regular Member

Student
    The British thought differently.

CWG village better than Beijing: England Chef de Mission
    PTI, Sep 16, 2010, 09.44pm IST

NEW DELHI: England's Chef de mission Craig Hunter on Thursday said the arrangements at the Delhi Games village is much better as compared to the Beijing Olympics.
    "The Commonwealth Games Village here is better than the Beijing Olympics," Hunter told reporters, adding that the Delhi Games would set a high standard for the hosts of London Olympics 2012.
    "Every Games Village has progressed and this one sets a new standard. In other Games villages four athletes use one bathroom, whereas here only two would share one bathroom. Even the training facilities are wonderful," added Hunter, who has been staying in the capital for the last four days.
    The Chef de Mission was also all praise for some Games venues, terming those as world class.
    Asked about the security concerns, Hunter said: "We are happy with the arrangements and I can say that the pullouts of the players were not due to security or any other reasons."
    "Security has always been an issue since 1972 Munich Olympic disaster. Some of the athletes, who opted out did so due to packed international calendar and injuries. However, we do have some Olympic and World Champions coming for CWG 2010."

Read more: CWG village better than Beijing: England Chef de Mission - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Mission/articleshow/6567832.cms#ixzz11F3SjMNl

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Wales delighted with transition at CWG Village

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ion-at-CWG-Village/cwgarticleshow/6671363.cms

"I am really quite impressed with the transition," Jenkins said.

"I had come here two weeks ago and thing were really quite chaotic. But the athletes who came here three days ago are absolutely delighted with the residential wings and also the training facilities. The food is also quite good.

"The venues are outstanding and we are really looking forward to competing there," he added.

The team is hoping to double their gold count at Games and according to team manager Brian Davies, Wales would look to at least double their haul of three gold medals won at the previous Games at Melbourne.

Wales has come in with about 150 athletes who will participate in archery, badminton, lawn bowls, wrestling, women's hockey, shooting and table tennis.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The opening ceremony went well

News received from India to Australia said that the opening ceremony went well.

Hope that India can host this 2010 Commonwealth Games successfully.

17. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    I'm surprised TS doesn't show any feature :(

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Hope that BCers who are there at the Badminton venue can update us with info

Let us hope that BCers who are there at the Badminton venue can update us with info.

19. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/12/1/sports/20101201161856&sec=sports

Indian police raid top Commonwealth Games officials
    NEW DELHI (AP) - Indian police raided the homes and offices of two top organizers of the recent Commonwealth Games following accusations that that they paid exorbitant rates for buying equipment from a Swiss company, an official said Wednesday.

"During searches (on Tuesday) voluminous incriminating documents have been recovered. The investigation and searches are in progress," said R.K. Gaur, a spokesman for the Central Bureau of Investigation.

India had hoped to boost its international reputation by hosting the Oct. 3-14 Commonwealth Games but instead the event was overshadowed by allegations of corruption, construction delays and cost overruns. The CBI last week registered cases of conspiracy and cheating against the two officials, V.K. Verma and Lalit Bhanot.

It accused them of causing a huge loss to the Indian government by paying 1.07 billion rupees ($23 million) to Swiss Timings Limited for purchasing a timing, scoring and result system which was available at a much cheaper rate from a Spain-based company.

"The Spain-based company was allegedly wrongfully eliminated at prequalification bid stage," the CBI said in a statement.

Both Verma and Bhanot denied any wrongdoing and said they acted with due diligence while awarding contracts for the games.

The CBI earlier this month arrested three games organizing committee officials, M. Jayachandran, T.S. Darbari and Sanjay Mahendroo, accusing them of forgery and cheating over the awarding of games-related contracts.

The cost of hosting the event ballooned to around $15 billion from the original estimated $412 million. The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party alleged millions were siphoned by companies run by relatives of Games officials.

20. thereal

thereal Regular Member

business
    !!??!!??!!??. This post has made me both curious and angry.
    1. Those child labor pics? I travel everyday and almost the whole city in a week. I have never seen anything like 5 year olds working. It is true that there is some amount of child labor due to poverty but govt has provided free schooling with free meals, clothes, and books. They even show them a movie once in a while.

2 Those pictures of the courtyard are just after a very heavy shower. It is true that in some places the construction was rather late started, but the criticism has brought media from across to globe to focus only on the negative aspect.

3. The money scandal and snakes in rooms, dirty rooms etc were all a mischief of an [ex] official known as Suresh Kalmadi who has literally GOBBLED upon all that money, for gaining more publicity for an unexplained reason.

BUT!!!!!
    If you saw the closing ceremony on 14th Oct, [it happens to be on YouTube too] Many athletes claimed that the service provided was the best they have ever experienced.... Many athletes also [in an interview] asked the media regarding the so called lousy rooms etc. as they were not present at all, all was resolved peacefully and the games were 95% successful. I am 5% unsuccessful because of all these misunderstandings and all that money eaten....