Things you hate about badminton!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wizbit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    I believed this happens to a lot of amateurs like us. As for those players you were referring to, its all due to their lack of understanding/knowledge about the game (myself included) therefore they haven't got hold of it yet.

Eventually, time and experience would make them a better player and ultimately their attitude towards badminton would become more positive.

2. smax5001

smax5001 Regular Member

Student
    1. EXPENSIVE FEATHERS GAH!!!!!

2. INJURIES AND SORENESS/FATIGUE >.<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. and opponents who are good just plays lazy - I hope everyone understand that if you are good, and you don't show competitiveness against people who ask to challenge you and you think they suck more, you are consider a deutchbag. If you want to get better by playing with people who are pros and actually love badminton. Please do a favor and return that opportunity you had to someone who looks up to you for a challenge to get better themselves. That shows if you truely love badminton (except probably highschoolers and below they probably don't know any better)

4. I AGREE WITH T-maker

5. BROKEN STRINGS/RACQUETS!!!!!!!!!!

3. tmh7781

tmh7781 Regular Member

Snr Mgmt
    Things that I hate about badminton.
    1) Double partners who are a level or 2 below you. Likes to pin point your mistakes and give sarcastic remarks whenever you
    made mistakes.
    2) Opponents who lost the game and gives all kinds of excuses that he didn't play to his true form.
    3) Fatigue and soreness the next day.
    4) Constant fear of injuries.
    5) Player who think he's very good and likes to couch others. When in fact some of the players he couches are much better than
    him.
    6) Arrogant advance players who will leave the court and not play with you the moment you step in. When in fact they are just
    slightly better than you.
    7) Monthly/weekly hassle to change grips, strings and etc.
    8) Addiction to this sport.

#403 tmh7781, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  4. direstraits

direstraits Regular Member

Professional Whiner
    This is an awesome, awesome thread! Every forum has a LOL thread or two, and I found one! :)
    I haven't yet gone through every post, but already I'm struck at how different the badminton culture is between the east and the west (i.e. UK). We don't really have the club culture where I am - we play where our pals are, and float from one playing venue to the next as our daily routine invariably changes. So we don't face some of your pet peeves, but still, pretty damn funny stuff!

Not common in my experience, but pretty hilarious behaviour here.

Ditto for the lecturing. But I actually prefer if the lady sits back during mixed... :)

5. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    so..................................................... how's the 'game' ??? hahahaha... don't need me , right ??

6. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    After a few days my anger was gone. I did not purportedly went over to look for him as I do not play on Thursday as I think this is no good. Perhaps in near future when I bump into him.

Will notify you then.;)

7. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    now he'll be boasting that u chicken out.... oh my....

8. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Hahaha... you got a username that really suits you. Always looking for troubles!:D

Never mind let him say whatever he wishes. Most importantly we must be self-contented. I dont want to be categorized as those things you hate about badminton.:)

9. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    hahahaha... that's what i'm called.... omg.....

10. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Mr. know-it-all wannabe.

Just came back from a good session and as usual, I would do a full set of stretching for warming down as well as a few sets of abs crunches and torso twisting just to keep in shape.

I learned this from my gym trainer as the main purpose of this is to strenghten the core and building endurance to the hip flexors that may benefit us when we execute certain shots like the over-the-head shot and backhands.

While I am at it a fellow player from next door came over and said to me without me asking: "Hey, your crunches are for girls and you should be doing Bruce Lee's crunches!!:eek: Let me show you the way.......... and there he goes. This was what Bruce Lee used to do":confused::D

Just one of those days I guess.:)

11. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Care to share what Bruce Lee crunches are :p Keeping your core strong is important, I use a variety, otherwise I get bored doing the same ab exercise over and over....

Still, this is better than being told you aren't very good at badminton because your racket isn't made by Yonex and that using Carlton shuttles will cause injury.... Fair enough I'm not great at badminton but I don't think that's the reason! As for shuttles choice I always thought using too slow shuttle would cause injury, not the brand! Fortunately I was wearing a Yonex top, who knows what horrific injury I may have obtained if I hadn't had that protecting me (to be fair the person didn't say that), the whole incident did make me chuckle though.

I'm still not sure if the person had a very dry sense of humour though...

12. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    The Bruce Lee crunches?? You need to lower your upper body to more than 90 degree and keep your head parallel with your body while moving up and down so that you do not have any leverage from your back. Thats it!:rolleyes:

Yes I do workout different part of the core on each different session targeting certain particular area at a time. Sometimes I used lightweight dumb bell to increase the intensity and on some other days I super-set the regime.

By the way you have a positive outlook in life and a good sense of humor though.;)

#412 Aspire, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    try do crunches then your back to balance up mate

next day in office you sit better!

14. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    pBm, I overdo it once and next day in the office, at a secluded corner I sleep better!:D

15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    this just happen in my court friday night

a guy came running asking for ice and holding a broken racket

he just wacked his partner and his racket broke

so we gave him ice

few minutes later he came again

'plaster, plaster many plaster please'

and we gave him 4 plasters

curious I went to see what happen, of course laughing all the way to the court

o my grandmother, the poor guy needs stiching and he was trying to plaster him!

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    that's good but it depends on what time you went to the corner lol

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that i always play until late at night and then cannot sleep and get into work late. like today. :(

18. paulierand

paulierand Regular Member

Buying so much gatorade..
    Arriving early and waiting for your group to show, and watching strangers play.
    Challenging those who are stronger than you (necessary to grow, but hard to do.) It's tough to ask ppl to play when you know it's a sure loss.

19. dingboy

dingboy Regular Member

Administration Executive
    My personal list of pet peeves:

1) 'Poor sport' players who can't take a defeat graciously .... eg; sulk, throw tantrums, blame the heavens, blame their equipment, blame their parents .....
    2) Players who refuse to listen/believe when you tell them the rules and instead call you picky .... eg; serving above the waist.
    3) Players who tell you that "they're not playing at the World Championships" when you point out certain basic rules.
    4) Players who come to your court 20 minutes before their alloted time, dump their equipment in front of you, gear up and warm-up in an attempt to try to visually 'pressure' you to stop your game just because they have already 'arrived'.
    4) Cheapskate players who play on empty courts for free, and then throw you a disgusted/irritated/unhappy look when you arrive at the same court for your game, which you have BOOKED and PAID for.
    5) Players who like to pass comments, insult or be sacarstic of other players when they themselves suck at the sport.
    6) Players who like to 'stray' into your court during your game.
    7) Parents who let their children run wild around the hall, oblivious of the potential dangers !

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

That reminds me of myself at one tournament. My partner in accidently smashed me in the head with his racket and his his racket broke to pieces. The whole hall starting to run around to get some ice pack while im being treated like a fallen soldier. The side of my head just above the left ear was swallen big, but luckily no bloody thing happening.

What happend was, i was at the net and hit a drive down the middle and my opponent double hit the shuttle but managed to return the bird. At that point, the ref called the point and i let myself stand straight. But my apparently my partner missed the whole story and thought that the bird is still in play, so at half court he smashed as hard as he can and hit both the bird and me. Now me and my partner joked around that YY racket is not as strong as my head :D

BWT we still managed to get into SF with my dizzy head going around

#420 Yoppy, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010