LCW vs Lin Dan... who will be better in this tournament?

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2010 - Badminton' started by weak_yihan, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    lets assume 2 sets, 21 points, how many time you think you can do it???

2. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

why it has always to be the case of LD vs LCW in the final? In the recent US Open, Nadal's opponent in the final was not Federer...

anyway, I bet all my old and smelly socks on LinDan... lolx... :)

3. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    I also did that twice last night :eek::eek: - so I'm sure profs can do that:cool:

4. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    you gotta check out new sock discount offers!:D seriously I agree that LS is the favorite, but I also hope that Taufik and LCW will appear at their best, so there might be somebody else end up on top of the podium. Watching Taufik last weekend and considering his great steps forward in terms of stamina since he started to work on it since February - buddies - there is someone on his way!:cool: - hopefully it works, baddy fans all over the world would appreciate that:rolleyes:
    anyway, great entertainment is coming up, let's enjoy together:rolleyes: and discuss the results when matches are played:D

#44 kuwichert, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  5. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Sorry, I don't do this kind of statistic. It is the same as asking me how many times your drop shots work in a match. I mean seriously, that depends heavily on the type of shots you chose in a 2 sets match and the success of the shots pretty much rely on your posture/position when you hit it. If you are at the right place(not out of balance) applying the right technique and strength, chances are it will go over.

And I am not even playing in a premier league(for badminton) in UK and I do know that those advanced players did trained to hit netcords(seen them trained a few times). So, I suppose that's nothing surprising if LCW can do that kind of shots. Funny thing is when I see LD doing those netcords in Olympic finals, no one said that it was luck.

6. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

I do not know players can train to do that kind of shots, of coz I believe there are....
    just to hit that kind of shots, in this case from baseline, i think elements of luck and skill is needed.
    maybe normal player like me, 10% skill, 90% on luck, maybe LD or LCW, more on skill and some luck??
    i dont think highest skill will guarantee the bird will hit the netcord and went over..

7. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

If the UK baddy players train for this kind of shots, no wonder their best MS player is the big guy Ouseph... lolx... BOLEH

8. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Actually I thought that LCW should have apologized, regardless of whether it was skill or not. Sportsmanship should be shown as even someone said that it has a chance to be missed, so the little luck that he created - he should have apologized for that! :D

9. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    You are right Bbn, LD begin to change his style of play back in 2009 and now I can say the full transition already took place.

When he was younger let say back in 2004 when he first became WR1, he built his game on speed and raw power. No doubt he won plenty of tournaments back then but he has some obvious weaknesses. His net play was almost non-existent and his game lack finesse. He was too dependent on his attacking prowess where he no longer afford now.

In LCW I think its the opposite. He is very consistent. He play with grace and very fluid in his movements. The way he execute his shots looks very elegant to me but he lack the fire power when it comes to attack. Also not to mention the mental part when playing LD.

Like many have said, there is no perfect player and these two players who has totally contrasting style has given us many epic matches in recent years and I am looking forward for another in AG.

#49 Aspire, Oct 19, 2010
  10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    LCW still single.

Wonder if BWF's decision to switch to the 21 points system help his cause.

11. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

You are right by saying that the highest skill doesn't guarantee a shot to work. But if you come to think of it, is there a shot in badminton that is guarantee that it is going to work definitely? I must be missing something if there is one, because as far as I am concerned even LD and LCW missed simple shots like a striaght netshot(not going over the net) or dropshot in a match. So are we gonna said that they have no skill or ''unlucky''(or combination of both) when they made such unforced errors? Similarly, will you say that LD and LCW were being lucky if their simple netshots/dropshots went over the net?

As majyun said(see below), the netcords can be practice by inserting the shuttles(feathers clipping the tape of net) on the net tape. And the players will try to knock the shuttles on the net over by using another shuttle(during drive, serve or even dropshot/smash). This is just to train a player shots to stay tight above the net(of course you need a good sense of margin during matches, not aiming the netcord everytime). And if a player practice that routine enough(did it a few times,really improve my serve and drive;);)), it won't be surprising if he started hitting netcords in matches as his senses of space above the net has improve.
    Excuse me, could you explain your statement a little bit further? I fail to see the relationship between players training for netcords and Ouseph being our top MS player. Enlighten me please.

Since you made a comment about the standard of play in UK and question the training routine of our players here, I am interested in your level of play. Are you a coach at state or national level, or are you a national player/ex-national player like Kenneth Jonassen himself?

#51 lcleing, Oct 19, 2010
  12. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    from the baseline and netcord?

you must be pulling my legs lol

as far as i know as a coach and a player i don't see many netcords from the baseline

this is harder than smashing the sideline!

i thought everyone here would refer netcord as through net tumbling shots

that netcords during practise is no big deal for the pro players, trainers or coaches.

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    any statistics so far on hitting the netcords? Is the risk worth it? ;)

if it is possible, then everyone will just aim for the netcord. Game over. IMO. ;)

China and Indonesia have more than a million players. All they need to train one or 2 guys to do it. Game over. lol. ;)

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    this is going either way.
    me or you dont really understand what few claiming pro players are trained to hit the "white tape" and tumbling over from baseline. stick in the brain, it is baseline. i am not talking counter drop whereas your racket is few inches from net.
    me or "few" dont really know how to watch badminton or understand badminton games. dont where did LCW hit that shot or dont know what is baseline means.
    me or "few" dont know how to play badminton.
    me or you dont know how to play good badminton.

or i am just dont know how to say in here..... :eek:

15. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    i have a hard time reading your post and it seems a lot here are in confusion land,

so let me give my input here:

1. net tumbling shots -
    these would be spinning of the shuttle and could be either inches away from the
    net or 1 or 2 feet away from the net. if one possess a good spin, the shuttle spins
    before it falls to the other side and it is quite easy to have the shuttle touches
    the netcord as it falls.

2. drive shot or smashes end up touching the netcord and tumbling down -
    these are almost impossible shots though some have done it every now and then.
    i don't think any players are training such an impossible skill so if that happens
    i can only tell them go buy lottery bettter!

lastly, if anyone refers to hitting the netcord, i am sure they are referring to no.1.

these can be skills and maybe some luck.

but if no.2, aha.. i don't really want to comment on their intelligience lol

16. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    A big yes because under the new scoring system, speed is everything and that is LD' forte. Its one of the many elements involved.

Looking back at his records, the only major LD won under the old scoring system was the 06' WC if I am not mistaken and that also in the absence of TH who was at his peak. I mention TH because he was the last player to hold the two majors at that particular time and beaten LD in the 05' WC and 06' AG finals.

Anyway if you look at a different angle, credit should be given to LD too for being adaptable to changes.

#56 Aspire, Oct 19, 2010
  17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..with the way the discussion has been going, esp. in the last couple or so pages, maybe the mods can change the thread title to "LCW vs. LD..who will be better at netcords in this tournament?"..;)

*Side info:
    LD did win another major tourney/title under the previous scoring system, winning the 2006 All England (which anyone can google the info).

18. laonong

laonong Regular Member

I think he won 2004 and 2006 AE. TH attended 06WC but was defeated by chen hong. For 06AG, LD defeated TH two times in team event. I think even with old score system, Ld's performance would be ok.

#58 laonong, Oct 19, 2010
  19. MY_cloud

MY_cloud New Member

Financial Advisor
    Lin Dan should thank his lucky stars in WC2006 where his compatriots Chen Hong got rid of Taufik and Peter Gade, while Bao Chun

Lai got rid of his biggest threats Lee Chong Wei and Lee Hyun Il.

Otherwise a loss would nearly have been guaranteed for Mr. 0 Dan

Instead he got to face the ridiculously out of fitness Hafiz and a undercooked Park.

My 2 cents

20. fusionuv

fusionuv Regular Member

i believe so, bc LD is more stable mentally and his home crowd will fire him up. its just a neutral insight.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.