LCW vs Lin Dan... who will be better in this tournament?

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2010 - Badminton' started by weak_yihan, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/60ren/

Click on link above. if you can't read the characters just use use mozilla translate .Click on each image to watch video clips.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..veterans (i won't call oldies;)), i know the AG is still more than 2 weeks away but please re-shift back to the thread topic~thanks..:cool:

#102 ctjcad, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  3. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Grand indeed:D:D but still it won't kill for a word of "hello" and "nice-to-be-joining-you":p:D look forward to more positive and non-provocative opinions from our new friend:)

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

It is relevant when comparing LCW and LD. LCW seems to be in better condition and on form at the moment.LD is obviously on the wane.

But if you look at the big picture, LCW 's achievements cannot even compare with his predecessors from Penang from the past
    :1) Eddy Choong 4x singles champion AE and 1x runner up.
    2) Tan Aik Huang 3X runner up and champion 1 X champion.

Seriously if Msia were to compile a list of badminton greats would say LCW or his present coach be mentioned in the same breath?

5. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    of course during the days of eddy, there wasn't much players playing,

you and me probably takes baddy as past time hobby since little rewards at stack!

to think of it, its called evolution, baddy has evolved like any other game

in everywhere and in everything ...

hence, imo, there isn't anything to compare, bbn

but if others don't think so, let's hear from them ...

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree. Back then in the 50's and 60's, China was not competing in world badminton yet.

Then in the 70's and 80's (when was it exactly?), China gradually became a major force in badminton.

And then the change to rally point system changed the game to be faster and more demanding.

So, consistently being at the top in badminton now is much harder and a greater achievement than in the past.

#106 visor, Oct 26, 2010
  7. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

therefore we cannot say the skills of tang hsienhu, rudy hartono is worse den lin dan now. pointless argument it wld be.
    de only way of measurement wld be number of titles and how they dominate their peers.

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

So the point is why does China value Tang ,Hou, Zhao,Yang Yang and LinDan higher than

Sun Jun,Xia Xuan Ze ,Chen Hong,Han Jian and Luan Jin, after all they were dominant players and won big titles.

Or a they are class apart even with the big titles? Most of them have been world no 1.

In the modern era LD managed to enter 2004,2005,2006,2007, 2008 ,2009 AE and won or lost some of them ,so much so I cant even remember!and I cant even remember the worlds.

So there must be a benchmark and in China's case it may be the decision of a panel of experts.

#108 Bbn, Oct 26, 2010
  9. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I would say LD is CHN greatest ever. Comparing him to the likes of Yang Yang and ZJH, i felt that LD post stronger dominant over his rivals. And perhaps also won more titles.

In football term, LD would be Maradona and Rudy Hartono is Pele.

My bold prediction, after LD is retired CHN top players will consist of more towards Yang Yang and ZJH quality more than LD. LD is a one off superstar. Without LD, CHN MS consists of CJ, BCL, CL is surely not as scary. That said, other countries such as INA, MAS, DEN, KOR (the traditional powerhouses) also have not produce a clear cut and stand out players to replace the likes of LCW, TH, PG and PSH and to compete with CHN LD's successors in the likes of CL (21yrs old) and CJ (24yrs old)

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

it is possible that in the near future there may not even be more Yang Yangs or Zhao, perhaps more Sun Juns,Chen Hongs, Xias or even Dong Jiongs. That's not too bad, at least tournaments will be more keenly fought.

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes, you know the history and how baddy has evolved..

baddy today has become a game where fewer and fewer players can make it to the top

for a start, simply because there are too many competitions among players themselves in their own country.

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    by right, lin dan should be china greatest ever

its not an achievement if we are going backwards, isn't it?

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

It goes back to the old argument about talent . Real talent is hard to come by, it comes once in a blue moon.

Same applies to LCW, will there be a successor?

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Certainly so, with all due respect to CHN fans i was just using the best possibility :)

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

ATM LCW is at the peak of his game, while LD looks like already went over his best. So there is a good chance LCW can win it

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I dont agree with China being such a big impact.

In 1982 when China rejoined the IBF the 1982,1984 AE was won by Frost,the 1983 World champs was still won by Icuk.There was some dominance in the 80s attributed to the likes of Yang Yang,Zhao and Li Yong Bo & Tian Bing Yi.

China even lost the 1984 Thomas Cup and was nowhere to be seen from 1992 up till probably 2004 when they won the Thomas cup.

I think China's dominance is something quite recent and it boils down to unique outstanding people like LD and Cai and Fu.

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I hope so, otherwise watching baddy will be less interesting.

18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I totaly agree with this. Yang Yang,Zhao and Li Yong Bo & Tian Bing Yi were not as dominant as LD, CY/FHF. IMO once a team has members like LD then the whole hirarchy moves up, so for example when playing in a TC, if LD is not there then CJ would play againts TH instead of SDK. Thats i think the reason why CHN is so dominant for the last 4 TC, and perhaps in the next 2 TC.

That begs a question, how strong/weak CHN team after LD is retired??

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Obviously there is some reading to be done on the books written by Eddy as well as the interviews given.

Hobby? Eddy trained real hard and chides current players for not working hard enough!

Or read the memoirs of Hartono and hear him talk about how hard he trains!

I dont think past legends won their trophies by playing as a hobby, they trained really hard!

But not to the extent of military style training of course which wears down the body until athletes become old men by the time they are 26 or get injured.

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Between now and the next 2 yrs, LD can potentially break more records:

1. Back to back OG gold, no one ever done this
    2. Complete a colection of gold in major tournaments available by winning AG
    3. Winning 5 consecutive TC for CHN equalling INA record

While LCW is on his own way of breaking records, i wonder if he can stop LD in doing so

For TH, winning a 3rd straight AG gold will be a fantastic record as well. But for him another TC or OG gold looks a bit remote ATM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.