Another blow for Yonex in AG ...

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2010 - Badminton' started by twobeer, Nov 21, 2010.

1. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

the rackets u mentioned won't last even one stroke by super dan so he wld need to rushing out and changing rackets after each stroke.
    of course, dis is de only way datuk can beat super dan convincingly.

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

LOL....if he's good, he can easily beat lcw as u said earlier.. even with broken racket or string;)
    coz he's super dan..

3. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

:rolleyes:
    don't suppose u have played badminton b4? a broken string causes de racket to lose tension and no matter how good de player is, there is not enuff spring to hit de shuttle back.

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Well my point with this post to begin with was not that Li-Ning was vastly superior to everything else.. It was simply that it must be a big blow for Yonex who has been no.1 in badminton to not get a single title in Asian Games 2010. And of course not in Worlds Championships etc. as well.
    I think it is fair to say that Both Li-Ning and Victor have proven with the sponsorship deals with Korea and China, that Yonex really does not provide a winning edge. From a marketing standpoint I think it is a dissaster for Yonex to loose all the top-player / teams , and only rely on the old-boys on the tour (apart from LCW who is the exception, but he is not the perfect poster boy for their rackets, as he refuses to give up his old stick, in favor for their latest models. And players switching to their latest rackets seem to perfrom worse rather than better (bad marketing).

You make me confused here, are you saying LCW ONLY gets money from BAM, and has no individual deal/endorsement/bonuses etc. from Yonex?? I seriously doubt that, even if I don't have access to detailed information about this..

/Twobeer

5. what07

what07 Regular Member

Kido/Setiawan I thought they were using Yonex rackets. Anyways if yonex does go downhill then maybe one day we'll all buy yonex just because it's not as common since everyone would be using Li - Ning :rolleyes:

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Kido/Setiawan made the racket switch to the small brand FlyPower.
    /Twobeer

#46 twobeer, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

as u mentioned earlier in post #38 , in the end, racket technology nowadays do not impact a match as much as racket skills, footwork, fitness and strategy.

so, since LIn dan is master and God of everything that u listed above already, why bother about the broken string that causes lose tension etc...?:D Cause u said racket technology do not impact much in a match?;)
    ok, i rest my case here:)

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    That is so true...WCH when he was MAS #1 player used Cab 21 in 2005 before Gosen endorsed him, his reason, I was told, was that he was used to the balance and control from using Cab 21 all this while and would be handicap if switched to different rackets just that they are new.
    YY or LN have to introduced new rackets to increase revenue, otherwise who is paying for the tournaments and players they sponsored. Not that I cannot afford them but I find it very expensive to fork out RM900 for a LD's LN rackets. In canada, a YY NS9900 costs like CAD350 plus stringing plus grip and then add 5% tax to the final amount. BTW, bag not included.
    An APAC LT50 cost me RM230, and includes stringing, bag and grip, no tax. Now, how much more would a LN or YY improve my level of play to justify the huge cost. Only regret is I should have bought one more LT50 for myself and another Apac Tantrum 200 for my wife during my last trip home.
    Next time, maybe next year, if I go home to see my mom, a new Apac LT something will come in, but I rather have an LT50, that is a very good racket. I have been using Cab 20 for 20+ years, thought I would never changed, but the Apac LT convinced me to.

#48 OneToughBirdie, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    haiz... racket now days have their own specs. It should not differ much in terms of quality and playability. There are thousands of mold out there and everyone will have their preference. Yonex is lucky that they don't cover just badminton. Else, they will be closing shop soon just like Gosen.

Racket should not cost more than $100sgd at high end price. All these super duper high price is due to sponsorship payments to the likes of players and management people to make the world move around. I bet you YaoMing and the BOD for Lining is getting tons of money out of this.

So, for those who always into new rackets, you know you are lucky to have money to spend on them. Some are lucky to get clones to feel good about it. When will you stop buying? Anyway, it is good for the economy. I endorse buying... lol. ;)

Again, don't act smart to say this racket is better than the other and the so called 'ultimate'. Am sure you will switch to another racket once a new model/mold appears. The high end rackets are 'relative' in price performance. Just take a look at those new racket threads. Just making a fool out of yourself. ;) lol. Just to tick some racket gurus a little. lol. ;)

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think many seem to make the missatake of thinkng small difference is the same as no difference and totally isignificant.. just because a player with great footwork and lousy backhand will beat a player with lousy footwork and great backhand.. does not mean that a good backhand is useless and completely insignificant. Players seek to gain every advantage they can and even a slightly better racket will be an important addon (why give your oipponent ANY unneccesary advantage?? ) . A few points of faulty linecalls would not make Lin Dan loose against a BC member, but still I don't think players would argue that linejudging therefore on the whole is "irrellevant".

Saying there isn't any significant differences in technology, quality and performance between rackets is just as wrong as saying racket-technology is the most important part of the game :) ..

cheers,
    Twobeer

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You mean they are left with Gade, TH and LCW and trying to make the most of it with their ridiculous outfits and rackets ;). I hardly call that a marketing strategy, especially if you don't make the outfit's available worldwide. Maybe they should watch Real Madrid a little closer :D

The only "marketing" Yonex used to have is the results gained by players using Yonex equipment but since they can't anymore the only ad is see nowadays is "414kmph!"

#51 demolidor, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Flypower is getting more and more popular in INA and many places overseas including Philipines/India/Singapore/Thailand etc. No doubt LiNing is a global giant producing all sort of sports goods but for comparison CHN has 1.3 billion population INA has about 240million so about 1/5 so LN has a bigger market to play on. Plus Lining has been around for quite a while now whereas Flypower is just started a few years ago.

At the moment Flypower is the official sponsor for PB Djarum arguably the biggest and most successful club in INA. With the quality, the price and the endorsement Im sure its not for long before Flypower become even more popular.

There is also another INA brand call Astec. Endorse by Alan Budikusuma and Susi Susanti (Olympic gold medal couple), as far as i know they at the moment seems to focus locally by sponsoring many local tournaments. Hopefully they can also reach overseas soon

13. extremenanopowe

flypower is still pretty compared to others. Mayby kido can tell if it matters. ;) I still think its insignificant. Its the skill 99% of it. ;)

14. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Ar, you caught me here....what I meant is N90 (which I think is an awesome racket but the price when it was introduced in Canada a few years ago at CAD350 plus stringing and grip plus 5% tax, that is quite expensive. But really, can you have a half dozen different rackets with different balance, head heavy, and tension and still can play just as good with each one of them. Then you must be very good. I have 3 Cab 20 for >20 years at 25 lb tension each, so if one breaks, I use another one exactly the same spec and would not affect my play. Now, I use one Apac LT50 (should have bought another one, and I heard the LT50 is obsolete, replaced with LT70) and one Apac LT10 (a gift to me several years ago). They are both different rackets. I prefer the LT50, lots of power in smash and backhand.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Actually, Li Ning is very new to the Badminton market as well. I think what makes them so strong is the national pride of the chinese - if they're given the choice, many will choose a chinese product over a foreign one, even if the quality was lower. Which isn't the case here - just the price is higher. Thus Li Ning will always have an advantage over other brands - they have the backing of a big nation (although lots can't afford their products, remember that) and of their government. One has to admit that their quality is very high, though. They wouldn't have gotten the sponsorship of the chinese team if they produced crap. :D

16. extremenanopowe

Yup. There will be a shift in buying habits in each country... ;) Looks like Yonex is going to be history if they don't innovate or come up with some new plans... ;)

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I have not tried L50 but I tried Apacs L70 already, and i have to agree its so awesome too. I cant perfectly descript the feeling in words, but its so crispy if you know what i mean. So far I have been very2 satisfy from any Apacs racket i bought/tried. Perhaps the only thing that I cant really understand with Apacs is their strategy of cloning the design of YY racket, i dont know what their MKT dept is suggesting but for me I'll never buy their clones simply because its clone :)

18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I couldn't agree more. In INA Astec is promoting their racket with a slogan "Indonesia, we are badminton nation". Flypower using Batik (INA traditional dress pattern) design in their products. All which try to increase the sense of belonging/nationality. As for their quality, I can only speak of my own experience with Flypower, they are not at all any worse than YY or any other brands.

Its true that Li-Ning is also a new player in Badminton, however as a company they have been around a long time. Li-Ning today is a global giant in sports, so its a hard task to justify the comparison. Plus CHN today is the back-bone of world's textile industry, all the big brands in the world (you name it) have their factory/supplier/contractor located in CHN. IMO this helps local brands such as Li-Ning to gaint a lot of advantage and opportunity to take on the big brothers.

19. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I don't really like Yonex as yonex racket cant string above 25 tension , now i using Li Ning N90 for 28 tension , same for my victor BS 9.

20. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Well, I don't know what you mean by can't but, my Yonex racquets are all strung at 26-28 lbs. I think the crux of the issue is this. Yonex is losing or has lost it's lead. As much as some like to rail against Yonex marketing and making silly claims that this marketing is being done at the expense of R&D, the plain fact of the matter is that we are getting to a point where there is only so much technology you can pack into a badminton racquet.

It's like running a race where you tell one contestant that every hour the maximum distance you can travel is 1/2 way to the finish and you tell the other contestant that he is only allowed to move 1/4 of the way to the finish each hour. Of course the race will never end but the important part is that in the first few hours contestant 1 is going to have a huge lead that a casual observers may see as insurmountable but, after many hours the two contestants will be for all intents tied. Off course in the real world it's a little more complex.

Bottom line I don't think the issue is that Yonex is slipping so much as it is that the others are catching up.