2010 Asian Para Games - Dec 8 to 19 - Badminton

Discussion in '2010 Tournaments' started by eaglehelang, Dec 7, 2010.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Good news is Cheah LH can still play for another 20 years, as mentioned earlier, most paralimpic players featured are well into their 30s & 40s :D

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Well, only you and me posting in the thread. :(

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    congrats to all the athlete!
    9 gold
    certainly a good achievement!

4. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Tuesday December 21, 2010
    Para Games contingent surpass target with nine golds
    By RAJES PAUL
    In badminton, Hou Chieh Liek nailed a double, winning the singles and taking the doubles gold medal with S. Laiman. And Nabillah Ahmat Sharif emerged as the women’s singles champion for the first time.
    [​IMG] SMASHING PAIR: Hou Cheah Liek (left) and Suhaili Laiman rejoice after winning the badminton doubles gold.
    “Badminton is not in the London Paralympic Games but efforts are being made by the BWF (Badminton World Federation) for its inclusion,” he said.

“I hope that the performances in the Guangzhou Games will be a great motivation and a launching pad for our athletes as they prepare for the Olympic qualification period next year.
    “To me, it is a proud moment to be with these groups of athletes, who overcame so many challenges in their pursuit for honour and glory for Malaysia.”

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2010/12/21/sports/7654477.asp&sec=sports

Only portions related to badminton are posted. Hahaha, the reporter got Cheah's surname mixed up.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..may i ask what kind of physical and/or mental disability do these baddy players have?..is it just their age?..cos looking at the picture, they seem to look handicap-free..
    *btw, any video of them playing? it should be quite interesting to see them play..

6. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Eaglehelang, just for your info., i played numerous times with cheah for the past 3 years at KLRC and don't be deceived by looking his defect left arm!.

He moves, dives and able to play as good as like any other BJSS players and in any given day, together with Pak Chu, they can beat any double player from the Division 2 category (which why they won the 2009 Pahang Open Div.2 BD Category).

He has a bright future esp. in the Paralympics category is concern.

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    cheah is one of the good prospect
    and he was once in the bam back up squad
    too bad he isn't anymore

8. eaglehelang

This thread only 2 pages lah, I posted the Para BWF categorization in page 1

http://www.parabadminton.org/index.p...100&Itemid=142
    http://www.parabadminton.org/index.p...125&Itemid=141

STU 5 =
    [B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B]Standing Above Waist Class 2 - STU5[/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]

Mild to moderate impairment of non-playing arm
    Minimal disability: loss of 30 points

[B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B][B]Profile:[/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]

1. Single BE (below elbow but through or above wrist joint)
    2. Brachial plexus lesion with some residual functions
    3. Dysmelia or similar disabilities comparable with single BE
    4. And comparable impairment profile
    What 30 pts means I dunno ya but if you have the opportunity to ever watch this type of players play, you will know, the non playing arm is not fully functioning. Of course I assume they have the doctors letter to proof all this.
    The more 'obvious' ones are the ones who have one arm amputated - like the CHina player in the Para AG website.

9. eaglehelang

Cheah's playing arm not left kah? I thought his right arm is the one with defect? And yes, he is good, can beat our back up players also, if he plays MD with an able bodied partner. To play in 'normal' tournaments though, he needs to lose some weight, haha.:p:p

I heard that Cheah LH is currently World Champion For Para Badminton, couldnt find the info though.

10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Sorry bro..., not left but right.:D:D. Indeed he is currently world paralympic and previous Kuala Lumpur 2006 fesfic multiple badminton gold winner.

11. eaglehelang

Ok, finally found a vid that has baddy :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUAh6V2S1Uc , from 3.00
    On the 2 Vietnam players who won gold, STL, i.e. leg impairment category.

There're vids on AG from CCTV5 but none on badminton, lots of table tennis & swimming.