Unprofessional Datuk Lee

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by pralinescream, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Is this thread trying to counter argue the "LD WO" thread?? If so, its certainly failed.

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    This was my first post. What do you mean?

/T

#22 twobeer, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I am also guilty. Of course I am not a professional.. wakakaka... ;) You are a good punching bag. I do too. Sometimes it just makes this forum more lively. Thanks for volunteering.. lol. ;)

4. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    I think he meant first line instead of first post

and also misunderstood you used the word 'silly'. Lol

anyway, I don't see anything wrong with your post,

probably more constructive than this thread's title :D

5. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

one guy who had to pull out bcoz of injury and ppl accuse him of unsportsman-like behavior while the other, purposely threw points away in a final, admitted in front of TV and ppl here praise him.

no matter what, lee chong wei who is a datuk (a feudal title in boleh-land akin to a knighthood in the Empire) was supposed to show more respect to de game and his opponent rather than giving face.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

as i said in an earlier post that may have gotten lost:

there is probably an unspoken code of honour amongst professional athletes in sports that you don't totally decimate your opponent even if you are able to

you can call it giving face or whatever ​

7. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Courtesy of The Star,

[...]“He was so fast and played well. He again showed that he is the king when it comes to the Super Series events,” said Taufik. “I think he gave me a chance in the second game.
    In jest, Taufik said: “Maybe he wanted to stay longer on the court to keep the fans happy.

And we are happy for a little longer yesterday... rallies were awesome... nobody complaint except that few people who just don't get it... Btw, respect is earned... LCW respects his good friend TH and vice versa... and it shows in their understanding of each other... this is no LD-LCW match... get that clear in your mind...

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Yes, this should be the best answer to the thread opener's question :D

So I hope the mod is reading this ;)

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Well like it or not, it was openly admitted by LCW in the post match interview.Just watch the replay.

So right or wrong it is a fact.

I would say if he wants to give away points to his friends it is his prerogative,after all others are doing it too.

10. ricebowl

ricebowl Regular Member

CSR
    All I can say is if LCW did it on purpose it's better than WALKING OUT OF THE GAME...

11. nellute

nellute Regular Member

Speaking of unprofessionalism, there are unprofessional spectators as well.

This post is obviously personal and biased.

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

At least the thread opener is giving a balanced view and just stating a fact instead of keeping it under cover,

it is obvious for all to hear (provided you understand Malay).As mentioned other indiscretions also happen.The thread starter should be applauded for not being a hypocrite but being transparent.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You have to understand the concept of honour first, to understand the code. Sorry, de code.

14. pralinescream

if datuk wants to be entertainer, do dat in circus or on a comedy show instead of making a mockery of a Super series final.

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

How to prove this?

I can always say that I was tired and was trying to catch my breath but still won.

Maybe LCW should not have openly admitted it, but again, I think it is no issue as there are other indiscretions by other players, so it is tit for tat.

More interesting though are the posts to defend his actions.

16. nellute

nellute Regular Member

If this is taken as "balanced view". I have nothing to say....

17. nellute

nellute Regular Member

Not to be offended by my other replies.

I totally understand your point. Just that I do not agree with the way the thread starter's belittling a great sportsman.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Maybe we need to use some perspective here. As I had mentioned in another post.....

The same thing happened at the finals of the HK Open 2010, if you watch the second game closely. They both know TH doesn't have the wheels to compete in the second game, and LCW makes sure of that by running him ragged in the first game.:D And they both want the crowd to get a little something for their money. So they entertain the crowd with some "demo" badminton. That IMO is a gracious thing to do. Nothing wrong with it. :)

TH does something like this regularly with newbie/lesser players at tournaments like the Canadian Open. He makes them work, does not push himself too hard but gives them a few "lessons" during the game. Sometimes it even goes down to the wire! Its a nice thing to do, and very sporting, and good to watch. I remember having watched even LD do the same with some newbie/lesser players.

Unprofessional? I would say, hardly!! Gracious, yes. Giving consideration to the viewers, certainly.

I recall Taufik playing around in the quarters with Kenichi Tago at some stage in the second game and just taking it a bit easy and showing off, the crowd were enjoying it, oohs and aahs and total appreciation. Did Tago get his knickers all twisted? I think not. Did any of the rads here on BC shout "unprofessional! lynch him!" Not that I recall. And yet, here we are making an issue of this.

19. pralinescream

didn't know dat datuk regularly throws points away when playing against his close fren, taufik.
    was de match in paris fixed as well? :rolleyes:

point is, even if some players do it doesn't mean it is right.
    but de main issue is dat, shld datuk have admitted tothrowing away points in front of de camera!
    wat wld BWF's reaction to this?
    ignorance? den it is OK to fix scorelines and matches?

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Please read my post carefully. Don't twist my words. Read my post in it's entirety, and do not take half-sentences out of context. That is an old and very tired trick.

If 2 players have a respectful relationship which they know neither will take unfair advantage of, what do you have against it??? The crowd likes it, we all get to enjoy a few more minutes of showmanship. Who ever said it's wrong in the first place!!???

If LCW mentioned this in the interview, it was silly of him, just an unguarded moment of sharing the enjoyment. But yes, this is exactly the kind of thing that unfortunately gets misconstrued and grabbed at and sensationalized, so he should have been more discreet. BWF may have a quiet word with LCW about his public utterings, I suppose.

As for "fixing scorelines and matches" go, do you really think either LCW or TH for that matter, would play easy and go into "demo" mode against anyone, unless they really had a trustful relationship with that player? IN which case, there would be no danger of fixing ever taking place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.