2011 Korea Open PSS: Finals Day (Sunday 30-Jan)

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by chris-ccc, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Could also be strategy and psychology off and on the court.

Like someone says LD is the master of disguise, he shows his true colors only in the final and

does things opponents dont expect him to_Of course his team mates know him only too well.

One of the strategies is playing on opponent's emotions.

It is not only limited to China and Art of War, Denmark has always used such tactics in the past and Frost as coach

will always teach his charges this element.

2. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

He shd not even watch badminton at all,...its an insult to the sport !!

Just ignore him !

3. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    To a certain extent I do concur. On court it's like a battle field. If you are referring to Sun Tze's Chinese Art of War, it's applicable.

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Agree with you. I have posted once in 2006 (I think) when LM left and LCW WR was down to 6, the pressure/expectation was off and he played LD in Swiss Open..in that tourney, he played a relaxed, patient, drop and rally game and he beat LD and the gang and went on to win SO.
    LD is now entering a different phase in his playing style, no more those run and gun, diving defense, high tempo game, in KO11 MSF against LCW, LD is not 100% fit and you can see LD puffing, sucking in air which he never does before...just the thought if LD is super dan once again, with Thing by his side, to beat him would be very hard. And London is his favorite hunting ground.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

yes I was referring to the principles of the 36 strategies. I think players and coaches from certain countries seem to

have this kind of strategic thinking.The best eg.should be Li Mao especially when he was a player.

#545 Bbn, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  6. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    I'm impressed by your ever intricate watchful eyes. To LD fitness is just but one factor, being hard to beat is another but I also see the fire in him diminishing unless he is provoked. Let's wait and see if Datuk can be levelheaded and show the world what he is really made of.

7. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    Oh yes Li Mao! How I wish he 's still Datuk's coach.

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i always believe that LCW is as good as LD. what LCW needed is a good coach(s) to bring the best out of him both in major t'ments and particularly against LD. MS is not good enough as the results shown time and time again. isn't it ironically that LCW probably had one of his best match against LD without MS at courtside?

9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    True indeed, if either one retires, it is then we will reminisce the good old days of quality and exciting high class badminton matches. For instance, since the retirement of Zhao Jianhua, it was a long time before i could enjoy quality badminton matches until these two came about.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It's all history now - LCW played and lost without his coach, Misbun Sidek

Isn't it ironically that LCW probably had one of his best match against LD without MS at courtside?

IMHO, during that match, LCW must have been hoping that MS was at courtside. I am sure that MS could help.

But it's all history now - LCW played and lost without his coach, Misbun Sidek. :eek::eek::eek:

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Don't worry we all have until London 2012 to enjoy the best matches :)

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We all have until London 2012 to enjoy the best matches

How many LCW-vs-LD matches would we expect to witness from now to the 2012 Olympic Games?

For me, I would guess: 'not many'.

Why? CBA is trying to study how other CHN players (other than Lin Dan) can match up with LCW's skill.

In other words, LYB will be trying to fix matches for LCW to face other CHN players (and not for LCW to face LD).

#552 chris-ccc, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    But I thought given the new bwf ruling,

Ld should be playing in more tourneys this year

so that means more chances :)

Or unless something crop up again, sending those soldiers to meet lcw :D

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BWF has not tighten up the 'Walkover' rule

But BWF has not tighten up the 'Walkover' rule (and I shall say that BWF won't be able to do so). :(:(:(

Therefore, we can expect Lin Dan to participate in more tournaments from now on.

But at the same time, Lin Dan will give many 'Walkovers' to many of his teammates.

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    1st sentence : It's a sad scenario and some feeling of emptiness.
    2nd sentence : ZJH was great and one of my favourite but after him there were Heryanto Arbi and later Taufik. You didn't like these two?

16. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

when in the heat of a game, your mind will "forget" the injury. Of cause, it will come back right after everything cools down.

17. OneToughBirdie

engineer

WZM, CL and DPY had their try-outs against the WR1 and lost badly. If these fellas don't improve in a hurry, LYB will go with the more reliable gang of CJ & BCL to accompany LD to OLY12. LD will play SS to qualify as WR1 or 2 in OLY12, as long as in opposite half of LCW. The best scenario is CL in LCW half, hopefully beat LCW or tire him out even if CJ lose. And if BCL in LCW half, so much the better.
    OLY gold is the #1 target for CHN as it is a worldwide event and CHN would want to retain her #1 position with the most gold medals won beating out USA, not these WCs or SSs, in which USA, RUS, UK govts don't give a hoot and basically played between the usual 5 countries. If it is not for LCW, LYB may not even need LD and LD could retire, just that LYB does not have anyone reliable and bankable to deal with LCW, that he needs LD and of course, winning a 2nd OLY gold for LD would seal his Best Ever status.

18. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Well said. Agree with you... pity that many sad fans had left this thread after the match and would not able to share the view...

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Fitness and mental strength are perhaps the 2 key attributes to SuperDan. In a title that LD wants to win, any challenger must be mentally and physically prepared to go 3-set, high pace and the bigger the tournament, the better LD plays. In KO11, Simon said LD was slow, that is because LD was not fit as in OLY08 to play that all out, run-and-gun, fast pace style of badminton. This KO11, it is obvious LD was pacing himself.
    LCW was very fit in KO11, coming off a string of SS wins, WR1, spanked CHN youngsters (no easy feat though) and still lost to LD who has not played in a while and from the puffing in KO11, was not 100% fit but still had enough to win. That is a scary thought come OLY12, as we can expect LD to be 100% focus on that 2nd gold (history making and all the real gold he would harvest thereafter:D), bring along Thing to guide him, his body guards to wear out or even KO LCW, and in London where LD played his best badminton. If I bet today, (sorry pBm, while I would like to see a MAS win, my loyalty is to my buck), my last buck on LD;):p

20. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    In any sports, especialy the final between LCW vs LD, a good player will always do whatever they can to outperform his (or her) opponent. Playing smart or strategy is vital, obviously this is not new to everyone.

Could anyone please share some good examples when a player (such as Li Mao or etc) would win their games by playing smart badminton? Or, who are the smart players that you know of?