Live Telecast / streaming of the 2011 All England Championships (Singapore)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by Sealman, Mar 9, 2011.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

2. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Way to make badminton more popular.

BWF should just do what ITTF did: broadcast everything for free on their website. Or maybe for money, people would be willing to pay, but then I would also expect to see any and every match live and on demand.

3. Lukas11365

Lukas11365 Regular Member

saw this before but thought it must be a mistake in the schedule bcs the match was scheduled on the tv court at tournament software.

@Gicutzu i really wish your words will come true, but in fact i dont belive. You may even think bwf does everything to do not let the sport become more popular. badminton tv coverage is really f***ed up

4. druss

druss Regular Member

5. Lukas11365

saw this, too. Not as good as boe/mogensen but if you had no opportunity to laugh intesivly today you will do so for sure:D:D:D

6. druss

druss Regular Member

So anyone got another link that works? Stuck at home sick and the sports channels here will show poker or curling before badminton....

7. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    lol I love curling. I always watch the major tournaments when they're shown on Eurosport.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Table tennis is popular you mean?? Maybe if someone would show it on tv they wouldn't have had to ;) Ironically table tennis does get more tv time than badminton on Eurosport :rolleyes:
    But back to badminton: good luck finding a tv channel willing to take more than 5 hours out of their schedule for badminton. That's why to need to produce a ready for tv session. Astro TV in malaysia could be the only channel in the world that would show those additional ones
    And tv production isn't that cheap to just go out and cover every court with multiple camera's ...

Only football and tennis seem to manage endless hours of live coverage in a single day

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Curling rules! Women's curling that is :cool:. I'm still convinced that's the shortcut to the Olympics ;)

10. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    True, table tennis isn't that popular. But at least fans get to see the matches.

And in the age of the internet the streams really shouldn't be tied to TV coverage. Just livestream all of the matches, regardless of what's on TV!

11. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Yes, women's curling, forgot to mention that. I don't watch men's curling.

Then again, I also don't watch men's tennis.

12. Lukas11365

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Forgot to include it again: tv stations that pay for the rights want territorial exclusivity (why pay if people can watch it for free elsewhere?). Before at WOB.tv if the event was broadcasted on tv in a certain country the webstream wouldn't be available there even if the tv channel was behind the decoder/subscribtion tv (like an Astro TV or TV2 Sport)

And like it or not TV money is what makes a sport like football (and tennis?) go around ... NFL, World Cup football, Olympics are all billion dollar TV deals.

#33 demolidor, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  14. Lukas11365

everthing totally right but thats not the way you keep your fans or even make new ones

15. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, but it's not like the BWF is gonna start making a lot of money from TV rights anytime soon.

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Oh yeah that's what I actually came to post in the first place :p: @ Gicutzu: you're "beloved" Swiss Open actually does stream all courts for free ;). Well at least untill the tv various broadcasts start on Friday ...

Probably not and perhaps selling advertising space during free webcasts to millions of viewers might bring in more money than selling the tv rights does right now and help kickstart some kind of merchandising sales which is severly underdeveloped since there hardly is any merchandising \. Plenty of paths to explore but BWF is an out-of-date oldskool organisation which had to move back to Malaysia due to internal politics which is probably how TotalSports (in Malaysia) managed to steal the rights from WOB in the first place although I might've read something about being unhappy with WOB performance somewhere ...

#36 demolidor, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  17. Lukas11365

But if you think of BadmintonEurope TV which shows livestreams of several EuropenCircuit tournaments, you have to admit that there is the posibilty for bwf to increase the quality of tv coverage fo major evants like AE.

18. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    I don't have anything against the Swiss Open per se, I just don't see the point of holding a Super Series tournament in a country like Switzerland, which doesn't have jack to do with badminton.

19. druss

druss Regular Member

Agree, here in NA it's NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB and golf that get all the air time. There are multiple NFL stations where that's all they show.

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes I was just going to post about Badminton Europe TV but if you see how much advertising space they have sold so far it's not exactly looking good. Personally I feel there should be much more Pay-per view events on european cable television. I have no insight in how that all works but how hard can it be to get an event like an All England put on pay-per-view?
    Of course there is still the option of an online petition to submit to Eurosport and get them to show something ;) Many moons ago, and I've posted it before, in another forum an online petition was started to get more martial arts on Eurosport (think K1, etc.)
    Here is a bit of it: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...k&gl=nl&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.nl
    http://www.kampfkunst-board.info/forum/f24/eurosport-petition-12980/

I think it actually worked as the coverage was expanded with more events and the weekly Fight Night show I believe it's called.