Coming Soon to Calgary, a new Badminton facility

Discussion in 'Sunridge Badminton Centre' started by Winex West Can, Feb 4, 2011.

1. hk-man

hk-man Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I can't wait go there. Please let me know when it will be open.

2. Kipper_34

Kipper_34 Regular Member

I used to go to the YWCA in on Sunday mornings all the time, but about half a year ago, I stopped cause I had to go to work. You go there often? I know most of the people there.

3. Kipper_34

Kipper_34 Regular Member

Used to go there, go there often?

4. Kipper_34

Kipper_34 Regular Member

At YWCA that is :p

5. Shortcut

Shortcut New Member

Only the days I convinced myself to get up that early on Sundays.. :p

6. Kipper_34

Kipper_34 Regular Member

haha I see. Do you go to the CISC badminton club at Hillhurst community centre on friday nights from 7:30pm to 11 pm? A lot of good people there. You should check it out!

7. Shortcut

Shortcut New Member

Oh yeah.. I 've been there once with a friend.. you are right lots of good players ..

8. Kipper_34

Kipper_34 Regular Member

Saw Richard on Friday and I asked him about the progress on the new gym and he said it's delayed once again due to snowfall in Calgary :(

9. druss

druss Regular Member

Once the roof is up the delays should stop, don't know the state it's at right now so hard to say. Is there anyway to get a picture of the current status?

10. Kipper_34

Kipper_34 Regular Member

I surely do not have any pictures, but someone might?? I don't live around there so I don't get a chance to see the progress :(

11. STRING

STRING Regular Member

According on the progress, SBC is estimated to open around the third week of May. Cross all the fingers :) :) :)

12. STRING

STRING Regular Member

To all badminton players/fans in Calgary, please plan your schedule to book courts at SBC. The days are getting closer for the people of Calgary to experience playing on "real" bdminton courts. Once you booked the slots and intend to keep it for long term, please advice the staff so you won't loose it to other groups. Court booking on first come first serve. SBC will advice when the court booking will be accepted. Get your group together and choose the day/time to book the court. Estimated open date around end of May. Please check update regularly.

13. druss

druss Regular Member

Thanks for the update. Are you booking for groups only or will you have any "open" nights? Also, do you have the address of the location? I have a project going on at the new Arbour Lake high school in west Calgary and wouldn't mind stopping by the SBC (just drive by) to see it.

#33 druss, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  14. STRING

STRING Regular Member

Court booking is open to all members. SBC will have drop-in on Friday night. All details wil be posted on SBC website soon which is on the final stage now. You can call Richard for the address (604) 240-0088. Make sure he is around when you go there. Located close to Northgate Mall and Pacific Mall.

15. STRING

STRING Regular Member

SBC is next to CDI College. They share the same building but different unit. Hope this info will help you to find the location. Drop-in sessions Mon-Fri 9am till 12pm, 12pm till 3pm, 3pm till 6pm.

16. zxcvirgin

zxcvirgin New Member

thank you for your information. I am a new guy here and would like to take part in some badminton clubs. maybe the best news for me is the Sunridge Badminton Centre which is coming, but for club, I mean for a at least intermidiate level, do you guys have any suggestion for me? Thank you so much. By the way, I live in Whitehorn now, so closer will be better:)

17. STRING

STRING Regular Member

I recommend that you join the drop-in session first. Get to know the players and form your own group. Many of the groups in Vancouver started that way. You can decide the level of players you want to accept in your group. Since you are new there, this will be a good opportunity meeting new friends!!

18. STRING

STRING Regular Member

As a reminder, SBC do have in house policies that all members must abide to. Only SBC authorized coaches are allowed to coach at the facility. So if you are interested to coach there please contact Richard first. You are NOT allow to just book a court and conduct your own coaching session without prior approval from SBC management. Not even your own family members!!! NO black soled shoes or street shoes are allowed on the courts. However Yonex or Victor shoes with black sole are okay due to the non marking material used to make them. Keep the courts clean for all members to enjoy!!! No foods or drinks on courts please!! No soliciting please. Do not offer or conduct business activities which are being offer at the facility ie. stringing/selling badminton accessories(racquets, shuttlecocks). More details will be outlined in the website.

19. Kipper_34

Kipper_34 Regular Member

So is SBC opened now?

20. STRING

STRING Regular Member

No, SBC is estimated to open at the end of May. It is only an early reminder to those who might be interested to coach or conduct business activities at the facility. There were several similar issues at the badminton centres in Vancouver. SBC is hoping that it won't repeat in Calgary. Keep checking the update on the opening date.