Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jul 26, 2009.

1. chrisfong89

chrisfong89 Regular Member

Student
    Hi, i just wanted to ask for opinions. I have a z-slash and because i really like it so much, more than vt80 which is just a wee bit more exp, i'm thinking of getting another. Should i go for the TH limited edition or just the normal one? I couldn't really find if there's a post decribing the difference. Anyone can point me in the right direction? And comments?

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

The only difference is the paint scheme

3. chrisfong89

Student
    Thanks... Guess i'll take the limited edition. although now it seems not so limited... lol..

4. Cloud_CW

Cloud_CW Regular Member

Is the frame will very easy to get paintchip like victor BS10?
    I hear from people z slash frame is tiny and easy get crack.

5. chrisfong89

Student
    It is slightly thinner especially nearing the top. Hasn't been using it for long so i can't give my comments but i've mishit a lot of times when i was starting to use it but still seems ok. maybe because i don't have the super crazy hard smash like others do :)

6. Cloud_CW

Cloud_CW Regular Member

But still easy to get paintchip right? :(

7. chrisfong89

Student
    I guess in a sense yeah... but still, it's harder to get paintchip than lower-end rackets;) Maybe due to the fact that it's easier to mishit so more paintchips...

8. Cloud_CW

Cloud_CW Regular Member

Awww.. my bs10 i used around 1week to get used with the timing. (1week 3playing days with 2~3hours)

Well i think i should wait for others comment. :)

9. rikrydle

rikrydle Regular Member

Consultant
    My Z-Slash is certified. After changing grommets and stringing at 27 pounds, there was visible cracking near 11 O'clock. Tension loosened and soon followed with eating in of string and grommet into the frame bed at the top part. After about a month plus, the whole head went crooked. Therfore I have to retire my favourite racket. Moral of story, don't simply change grommets and string over 25 pounds. Now I have to consider buying VT80 or a brand new Z-Slash that is more costly than VT80.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

All of a sudden, I have an urge to buy a 2UG5 version of the Z Slash hmm. Let's see if I have funds, I am contemplating an MX80 aswell. :)

11. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I've not yet had the luxury of playing with a Yonex Arcsaber Z-Slash. However, last night I did have the privilege to play-test the next best thing: the Arch Blade Z-Smash, Ashaway’s equivalent. I'm a big fan of Ashaway products (I regularly use Ashaway birdies and the Zymax 70) but I'm not sure I agree with this recent practice of blatant copying of Yonex rackets. I believe Yehlex, Apacs and Tactic have ‘similar’ designs also, albeit with different colours and a name-change. If I were Yonex I would be very unhappy about this. Granted, I know that Ashaway’s equivalent, or any other Z Slash clone for that matter, can’t possibly compare to the real thing. Balance-wise, weight and materials – they are all different, including the price! However, the Arch Blade that I tested lasted night sported the same super-slim shaft and compact frame – features which have distinguished the Yonex Z-Slash from conventional isometric frames. Like I said, I haven’t yet played with a real Z-Slash, but there is definitely something to be said about the super-slim design and compact frame of the Z-Smash. Wow, this racket was fast and effortless to use. I really felt these ‘technologies’ made a huge different in terms of speed and manoeuvrability. Mis-hitting the shuttle, a much common complaint of the Z-slash, was not an issue. Now, I just wonder, in terms of playability, how different Ashaway’s clone plays against the real thing. Price-wise, the Ashaway is considerably cheaper. Also, I know somebody who can get me a further reduction if I were to buy more than one. But, I’m not sure the issue of price should be my deciding factor. If I really liked the Z-Slash I would be prepared to pay the premium price for it – I already own two Arcsaber 10s that I really love! I’d really appreciate somebody else’s thoughts on the Z-slash, particularly those who have managed to play with both the original and ‘equivalent’.

12. chrisfong89

Student
    I've played with two Yonex clones by apacs. First is the Z-Slayer Red Gold and secondly the Z-Slayer Black. Yes, you're correct that their specs are not the same as the original one. The Red Gold was more even-balanced whereas the black was too head-heavy. Both the clones produce quite a lot of vibration if you mi-hit it but if you don't, it's great. In the end, i would say the Red Gold plays 80% like the real one while the Black plays 60% like the original. I just feel the Black so different from the real Z-Slash. The Red Gold feels quite similar, just with a lower performance and more vibration.

13. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    TCkang,

Whenever you find the 'Charlize Theron racket' please notify me at once.;)

#1973 allyjack110, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  14. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

Charlize Theron is for display only, like a trophy wife. You don't play with it (well, you do...but you know what I mean), you keep it;).

15. oasis

oasis Regular Member

Is there any diff between the normal z slash and the taufik edition?

16. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    $50 ,different paint job, and his signature.
    No difference in specs.

17. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
  18. raajks

raajks New Member

Arcsaber Z slash - My love

Arcsaber Z slash
    Arcsaber Z slash seems to be one of those few racquets where people either LOVE it or HATE it.

I have been playing badminton for a long time where I started with Carbonex SP21
    It was a time where I had no idea about racquets, this was a gift and the racquet remained with me for a very long time.

Once my own money started flowing in my life, I asked a guy at my club to give me a PRO racquet. He delivered an Arcblade 7 with BG 65 with 21 lbs(Which is a replica of the Arc 7).
    The racquet was ok, I had nothing to complain but I had not exciting at the same time.

Must have been some 6 months back where I was helping my friend to get a racquet,
    I dropped by to the nearest sports store and picked an Nanospeed 9900.
    I found the Nano9900 to be fast and quick on defence and net shots but it took a lot of effort when I got to play some powershots or when I started to play singles

I realized that I needed more than just words of wisdom from the shopkeeper, which is when I stumbled upon some amazing forums like
    1) badmintoncentral
    2) Paul's blog

I was introduced to a whole lot of information, I was super excited to browse through the forums and read the reviews of most of the racquets. The quality of reviews and connect that I found from varied badminton folks around the world was amazing to say the least.

Voltric 80
    I was completely taken by Paul's Voltric 80 review and I decided to get this racquet for me, Luckily the shopkeeper was willing to take the Nano9900 back and give me the
    Voltric 80.

The following day, I was super excited to play with the Voltric 80.
    Being one of my expensive buys I had put my earnest effort to love this racquet.
    But to my disappointment, I could never really love this racquet inspite of how hard I tried. I have strong wrists and arms, thanks to my martial arts upbringing, but I found the V80 too slow for me. The forehand shots were good and strong but my backhand began to suffer, I missed the snap shots I used to play.

Heartbroken and feeling less inspired, I decided to make a change by looking for another racquet which would suit my game. I am a fan of Taufik Hidayat so I decided to spend some time reviewing the forums on Armortec 900 T.

Armortec 900 Technique

Ant's review on the racquet was a deal clincher for me and I decided to go for the AT900T with BG65 21 LBS. It was instant love for me, I connected so well with this racquet.
    My game responded well and I was feeling very good with my overall game.
    Forehand / Backhand / Singles / Doubles, They were all working very well for me.

I was sure that with a tension of 24lbs and Nanogy95 would be a perfect upgrade for me.
    However, I knew the racquet for a tad slower for very fast games and quick switching shots.

Enter Arcsaber Z slash,
    A friend mine introduced me to it.
    I had a few taps and some shots for 10 mins, I connected so well to this racquet (It seems that I seem to be following Taufik, unconciously)
    While Armortec 900T was like a gentle lover, the Z slash is like a passionate lover who gets your heart pounding and wants to get the best in you.

I had completely fallen for the Z slash, my whole body was charged towards this racquet and I knew that this racquet was perfect for me.

I got the Z slash with Nanogy95 with an LBS of 24.

It's been 2 weeks with this racquet and I must say I feel amazing everytime I play with it.
    Before the game, I make sure I do my warm-up religiously to make sure my body is ready for my best game. I do my floor excercises, I eat right to ensure I have right energy levels. This might sound crazy to some, but the Z slash needs a good state to extract the best.

I have decided to play lot more tournaments than I used to as I know that my game has also move up a few notches. The Z slash has been the best buy for me. Thanks to Paul & Ants for their amazing reviews!!

As I have painfully realized, forums / research sets the tone but ultimately a racquet is always a personal choice. Z slash is now my personal choice because it has exceptional speed while delivering the accuracy I need every time.

19. floyd.mathias

floyd.mathias New Member

Engineer
    I have been playing with Raaj for about a year now and I have seen his game with all the Raq mentioned above. I have to agree that the Z slash has brough out the best in him.

All the best Raaj with your new found passionate love. Go for the kill.

20. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    bro,
    to push ur level to pro level u need 2U z-slash ....
    this will make u retire with z-slash