why do Boe / Mogensen lack sportsmanship?

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2011' started by chlsy8, May 27, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

+1

And we should change the thread title to focus on BoMo.

2. Siege

Siege Regular Member

I completely agree with the OP. The people who are saying he's being racist or nation bashing is completely misreading and misinterpreting his words. Even look at the title; it's Denmark's DOUBLES PLAYERS - not Denmark itself.

Plus, it's more than common knowledge (if you're a badminton enthusiast) to know that the top Denmark doubles players, especially Boe and Mo, are quite 'unethical.' Of course, that's not to say that other players from other countries do not do the same at times, but Boe and Mo do it a lot more. Even Gillian Clark has commented on how long they take to receive serve - they purposely delay the pace of the game (when their opponents are gaining fast points) in a fashion that I'd say 95% of the community would consider as 'cheap tactics.' And, of course, they try to influence the line judges more times than other players (HOWEVER, I admit that these may be psychological for the players - they might think it's out/in, BUT Boe and Mo still influence the line judges more than other players)

Honestly, those who disagree that Boe and Bo are more unethical than the extremely vast majority of the top badminton players are quite misguided and should watch them play more <_<

#42 Siege, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  3. oasis123

oasis123 Regular Member

Bingo! Boe and Mogensen have little/no sportsmanship at all. Their acts only disgraced their names. Agree that other players might have misjudged the shuttles some times but when the line judges made the calls, they'd generally agreed and wouldn't look so disgusted and stared at both the opponents and the line judges like the Boe/Mogensen pair.

#43 oasis123, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Apropos this discussion, I would like to point you to another excellent post made by Gollum today, in another thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ve-illegally?p=1691321&viewfull=1#post1691321

This highlights another rather more subtle issue connected with bad behaviour, bending rules and outright unfairness, sledging and cheating. What are the player's coaches doing about it???? Do they just throw their hands in the air and say, "well he is a big boy now, I can't tell him how to behave" or do they take a more proactive approach? Do they make recommendations to the national association for corrective or punitive action? Do they mark down the player in a review? Do they take him out for a drink and tell him to grow up, or explain why it is wrong? Do they give him the third degree? Do they recommend psychiatric treatment? Or do they by passivity, encourage this nonsense?

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Well, I'm looking at the title and I see "Denmark players". Unless I have a special case of dyslexia that leaves out complete words I'd say he is calling every Danish player "UN-ethical" boo-hoo :crying:
    I don't even know why people get so worked up about it anymore. Everyone knows it and yet a new thread has to be started every single time without discriminating between on- and off-court behaviour and calling them un-ethical when you know absolutely nothing about them other than what you see on court ... :rolleyes:

#45 demolidor, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i changed it to "some Denmark players" now.

hopefully the extra quantification will be better than before. i do think that it is not appropriate to generalize to all Danish players when in reality there are only a couple of real offenders.

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D How about "certain" ;).

Actually it's not that uncommon behaviour on many age levels or so I have heard and occassionaly witnessed. I think it has to do with the cutthroat level of competition back home where every bit of advantage/break matters. They will call something out without blinking even at junior level. Which happens in all countries just that the last time I watched an int. jr. competition one of the very first points I saw after arriving was a danish jr player calling a good ball out :D. And as I have mentioned before I overheard certain coaches talking when a certain danish md pair were playing and tempers were flaring up (not mentioned above) about danish sportsmanship and in particular the lack thereof in general with a few notable exceptions like a Gade. Now I don't think they are too aware of the lower level players but they have been around the block and played at the highest international level in the 80's/90's ...
    But as I said I think it stems from the high level of competition at home and I'd like to compare it to diving in football where you almost have to get that little break/advantage at the highest level. Still room to "improve" then for "all" the other countries ;)

And let's call it (lack of) sportsmanship instead of "ethics" :rolleyes: in the future [​IMG]

#47 demolidor, Jun 1, 2011
  8. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    It add more spice into badminton and we do need some characters in the game to make the sport interesting. More Viewers will watch them just to see them lose for their own entertainment .

without characters within the game , it might just be as well watching the boring snooker.

personally I admire BO/MO talents and I think they are one of the pair that will have a chance for gold in London 2012. Them two have really good understanding of each other and good partnership. They might not be the most gifted technically within the top 5 pair of MD but they will surely have the determination. In addition, I like their motivation to succeed. They have improved so much in the past couple of years , it is unbelievable. They have work hard on improving their defense and they cover the court so well..it is so hard for their opponent to break them down now ...........

Boe and Morgonsen :)

9. visor

visor Regular Member

^^

True, what you say about BoMo... despite them being the oldest in the top 5 md, they've improved very much in the past 2 yrs. And don't forget that in non-Asian countries, the players actually have a real paying job on the side, and have to train on top of that. So props to them...

But do they have to like dab at each others' hands not once but two to three times before they get ready to serve?! :mad:

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:p All that praise and still spell the name wrong :D;)

11. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I find the things BoMo do annoying but I wouldn't call it un-ethical, since the word un-ethical in my opinion seems to suggest they are cheating in some way. As far as I am aware there are no rules against the stalling tactics BoMo are infamous for. I wonder if people on this forum think those tactics should be illegal and if so, what penalties should be handed out?

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I still take umbrage to the title of this thread. Any mention of a country in such a context will bring out nationalistic or anti-national tendencies even if the thread starter did not intend it so.

It is unseemly on an international forum like BC.

It creates precedents. That is a real danger IMO.

This thread title also casts an unspecified shadow on the integrity of other players from that country. It does not matter if you write "some" "all" or "a few." The title still has singled out a specific country to discuss "UN-ethical" behaviour. It makes me very uncomfortable. Which country is next?

I would go one step further than Demolidor to ask why the thread title cannot be amended to "why are Bo/Mo so UN-ethical?"

#52 cobalt, Jun 1, 2011
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

^^
    Agree with you.

Although the title should change to "why do BoMo lack sportsmanship?"

14. anggade9

anggade9 Regular Member

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    alright. alright.... ;)

16. visor

visor Regular Member

thanx boss! :)
    -------------

17. visor

visor Regular Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsmanship

and hence, we shall understand what is and is not good sportsmanship

"Sportsmanship expresses an aspiration or ethos that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors. Being a "good sport" involves being a "good winner" as well as being a "good loser"."

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Why do BoMo lack sportsmanship ?

Because they have Den s no 1 example to follow : Jens Eriksen! Look at his matches, those of you who have not seen them . Jens Eriksen s gamesmanship abounds and makes BoMo s behaviour look tame.

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    That's one of the most irritating part. Another pair is the MAS Fuzzy combination.

20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Why do BoMo lack sportsmanship ?

in short, arrogant, lack of respect to officals and opponents, cheaters and bad losers.