2011 Singapore Open SS: Day 6 - Finals Day (Sunday June 19)

Discussion in 'Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011' started by chris-ccc, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    I wonder what will China say if it was the other way around in this whole 'walkover' fracas. If LCW were to enter the final with another team mate, let's say, Liew Darren, and BAM wants Liew Darren to earn tournament points and orders LCW to 'throw away' the game in 3 sets (not walkover), what will the other badminton countries especially China will say and do? And if in this situation, the very next day LCW is going to enter another tournament which LD is also participating, won't LCW save a lot of energy too? So we can very well understand what LD stands to gain by throwing away the final of SO.

2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Enough with badmouthing 'cold water' already. If it was India hosting the finals, at least its believable. But this is Singapore, a land where chewing gum is banned from polluting its streets. Next thing you know, you will be hearing 'i drank hot water just after the tournament while I was very hungry and that gave me stomach ulceration' which is preposterous. Just the fact that the walkover always happens when the finals is an all china match is a dead giveaway, hello! If it was a match between LD and LCW and then Lin Dan use the 'i drank cold water' story, then it will be believable, HELLO!!

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

dear mr. extreme-kangen-nanopowe-water,

at next yr's S'pore Open, you should promote the kangen water business to the organizer. Have all the players get the drinking water from you so to avoid another episode of players pulling out or WO because of gastroenteritis excuse:cool:

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    One wonders why BWF can't do anything about this rampant 'walkover' thing...

This is because BWF is more dedicated to our National Associations than to our Badminton community. :(:(:(

BWF is also thinking: When a final is between 2 players from the same country, why play?; when it doesn't matter... because that country has already won the top 2 positions.

That's is why I supported the formation of an International Badminton Association who would be dedicated to independent players and spectators.

Let BWF be dedicated to just the inter-nations events/tournaments; like the Thomas, Uber, Surdirman Cups (and perhaps the Olympic Games too).

But for World Championships and other Open Championships, let another International Badminton Association be formed to handle them.

What I am saying is not new. What I am suggesting is for Badminton to follow how Tennis has transformed their sport. They have;

(1) International Tennis Federation (ITF) dedicated to inter-nations events.
    (2) Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) dedicated to mens professional tennis players.
    (3) Women's Tennis Association (WTA) dedicated to womens professional tennis players.

And please don't talk about the excuse of there is not enough money for Badminton players going independent (on their own).

Our great Australian, Rod Laver, who signed up to play as an professional, independent player (back in the late 1960's) did it for Tennis' sake, and he did not earn much in his time.

We, Australians, knew that what he did was to promote Tennis as a professional sport.

In a way, Taufik Hidayat is doing it right now for Badminton, like what Rod Laver did for Tennis half a century ago. :):):)

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Then, I shall say no more

Straight away, I received emails saying that I am just condemning BWF. :eek::eek::eek:

If our Badminton community is thinking that what I am saying is not for our beloved Badminton's sake, then I shall say no more.

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Better late than never.

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Can't remember if LD ever concede a WO other than his countryman. Anyone knows?

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    First I agree that a professional must remain fit and disciplined at all times if he/she wants to win tournaments and the accompanying prize money.

But there may be circumstances beyond his control. For example this could be food poisoning or he was unlucky to cross the road and met with an accident that could fracture his limbs such that he could not continue to play for the rest of the tournament.

Now would you deprive the professional of being rewarded with what he has accomplished in the earlier rounds, especially when he had fought hard to gain a place in the finals? Would you want to take away the winnings that is due to him just because he could not make it to the last round because of circumstances beyond his control? He is a professional and he survives on winnings just like us who have to work for a living.

I think the right thing to do is to make sure that the player does not fake his sickness or inability to play. Here the BWF must have in place a foolproof system to ensure that walkovers are not given frivolously. Some complaints are easy to confirm just like food poisoning or a leg or arm fracture, but others may be more difficult like LD's case. But the point is that BWF will have to devise something to discourage such false behaviour.

And when the truth is out and the player giving the walkover is confirmed to be acting dishonestly, then a very heavy penalty should be meted out.

9. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I read badzine just now, and apparently badzine editor also upset with Lin Dan "no show" show

http://www.badzine.net/features/editorial-–-no-show-is-that-promotion/15055/

they also open a poll about it:
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=question&id=10150221139940890

and lastly, what Chinese people think
    http://www.badzine.net/news/lins-walkover-olympic-related-for-chinese-fans/15083/

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic:
    ..if not mistaken, he did it at last yr's HK Open..forgot which round & against who?..
    *you can check last yr's HK sub-forum and find related thread(s)..

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    thanks man. U infected me with it. Dun blame me. lmao.. with both legs up. ;)

btw figures and numbers from the pools don't lie. don't treat singapore spectators as daft. ;) Disrespectful. ;)

#531 extremenanopowe, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

There is some truth about how some Chinese people are thinking about their Chinese eagerness for CBA to get the maximum ranking points for their CHN players.

Anyway, it is only our belief and/or our perception of how CBA conduct themselves.

I am not saying that what CBA is doing is wrong; I am only saying that our beloved Badminton is going in a direction not for sport's sake, but for 'National Interest''s sake.

#532 chris-ccc, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  13. extremenanopowe

ccc, I support your IBA, how do you start it? ;)

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

15. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Ever wondered if LD relishes LYB's order not to play and concede a walkover or deep down he is saying, 'good also, what a hectic tournament, save some energy to play in the next tournament where i will meet LCW', or 'what the heck, i can win this tournament, and still have enough energy to take on LCW soon'?

16. extremenanopowe

Wooooowwww... that newspaper clip says it all. Selvam, are you sure you are competent enough to take the BWF job?

Also, a good point for the punishment for the walk over. Fair for all. ;) Please send these 2 points to bwf facebook.

17. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Everyone says or cites that 'hopefully' the powers/authority that governs will soon put an end to this. But will they? That's the question. We can have our say whether this or that is wrong but at the end of the day, it is they who have the final say. By the looks of this, China sure is not going to stop manipulating the sport for their own gain. Then things will boil down to whether the powers that be want to be looked upon as 'no teeth' to rectify a situation when it really matters but don't/can't do anything about it, or they simply don't want to rectify the situation because of unseen things under the rocks.

18. extremenanopowe

Send this to IOC to get their opinion. Any gungho sports media here? badzine??? ;)

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Our Badminton evolution will continue when things are not going right

When Badminton fans and lovers get your message about us feeling with anger and frustration with BWF, perhaps some people could form another body to challenge BWF.

Some 35 years ago, when BWF was forbidding China to participate in their tournaments, there was another organisation formed to challenge the BWF's authorithy (and I supported it :):):)). But when China was admitted by the BWF (then, known as the IBF), that organisation ceased to exist/continue.

Now that BWF is found again for not doing the best for our Badminton community, I hope there will be another association to be formed to challenge BWF soon.

Yes, IMHO, our Badminton evolution will continue when things are not going right for our sport. :eek::eek::eek:

20. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    For a start, to speed up evolution, it would be a great idea for the press and media to start getting comments from BWF instead of just asking Lin Dan for press conference when all his hands and his future in badminton is tied to communist China. The the focus will suddenly shift onto BWF and they will feel the heat for being seen as sitting on their ass as governing bodies.