Advantages and Disadvantages of 5U 6U 7U rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by johnnxiv, May 18, 2011.

1. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 5U 6U 7U rackets?

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I personally own and have played with the apacs Lethal Light Special, which is 6U. For me, there are no advantages at all.

3. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

the better answer would be: speeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd. and lots of it. most of the superlight rackets are quite fast, which is a boon around the net.
    however, most would lack in power, whether outright or regular. Also, there is the off chance that there would be stability issues.

4. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

I totally agree with this.

5. nickspeed9900

nickspeed9900 Regular Member

RJCAF
    I own a 6U and a 7U racket. Advantages:
    Speed! Great in defence. out-of-position reply or smash is not an issue at all.
    Deception! Carry out the deceptive moves in a flash of the blade.
    Smash. With right technics, this racket can deliver a powerful smash. (the smash shots may lack in Raw Power, but it's super fast).

Disadvantages. I think the problem for me is to clear especially from the rear-end court. I have to pay extra caution that i'm not using a head heavy racket, thus, i have to execute it wisely in term of placement n technique. Rear court Smash. (Of course not as powerful as my AT900P), head heavy racket technique can't be use for a 7U racket. Like a rapier n grand sword.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Having owned a couple of 6Us recently, I'd say that the primary advantage is the sheer speed and responsiveness, especially in defence.

Disadvantages... I honestly can't think of any my rackets had. W.r.t power there's a trade-off between the extra inertia of a heavier racket and the fact that lighter rackets are easier to accelerate in the first place, so mine hit as hard as I needed them to:).

7. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Okay, this might be my very first time hearing if an actual 6U & 7U racket exists! I once heard there is 5U version of racket (pretty sure it ain't The-Big-Three; Yonex, Victor, & LiNing), but 6U & 7U, how does it feel playing with feather-weight racket? Please enlist me some of the rackets that have 6U & 7U version. I'm curious as to try 'em.

8. nickspeed9900

RJCAF
    hello, :) i have both 6U and 7U rackets. Both are Apacs. 6U is Tantrum Exclusive and 7U is Feather Weight 200. Some of my friends found that these rackets are weak (well racket type is a personal choice and subjective I must say). But I find these lightweight rackets are powerful (depend on your skills how you use em). Wish you luck my friend, try em out before you buy, that's my only advice.

9. nickspeed9900

RJCAF
    Hmmm... Head light (speed), Head heavy (momentum)

10. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    I thought with a really light racket, ur swing will be faster, so more power on the birdie? let say all racket is 25lb tension

11. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Yes, but you will reach a point where the speed advantage of light rackets reaches the limit of human muscles; and from that point onwards, you will need to add mass to transfer more momentum onto the bird.

12. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    u sound reasonable, any1 else have any ideas?

13. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

And how about vibration ?

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Essentially what visor mentiond has captured the main idea. I have covered this topic many times, but i guess no harm in writing it again.

Lets assume that the lighter and heavier racket both have the exact same setting namely BP, string type and tension, and shaft stiffness. The lighter racket racket will move faster than the heavier one. And at the same speed traveled, I would argue that the heavier racket will generate more mass and hence power. So the question is that how much faster the lighter racket should travel to compensate or to achieve the same power that the heavier racket produce. And to me the answer is really depend on each of us player, and as visor mentioned, there is a limit how much our muscle can work. And at some point its regardless whether you have 8U 9U or even 10U, the racket will not go faster anymore.

Despite that, should we open the discussion to include in modication of the setting, then the possibility opens up. What i mean by that is to compensate or to achieve the same power that the heavier racket produce, the lighter racket can be made head heavier or using string that is ticker and its tension higher as well as super stiff shaft. All these 3 ways help to generate power.

I hope it makes sense and helps

:)

#14 Yoppy, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    jlimzq likes this.
  15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Good point, a lighter racket often vibrates more and more mass it vibrates less. But I think its not only related to its weight. String, grip, shuttle, grommet, BP, stiffness, T-joint, cone, etc all can contribute to a racket vibration

16. VILVAM SUBBARAYAN

VILVAM SUBBARAYAN New Member

To play with Mavis Nylon Shuttlecocks 6U & 7U worth and you can get good performance but while play with feather Shuttlecocks players should use to play with 4U to reduce the arm work in rallies and smash, and for accuracy and for speed and to avoid elbow problems.

17. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

I am using a pair of 7-U Apacs Lethal 66. The only disadvantage for me is baseline clear. almost impossible to hit baseline to baseline without extra effort. Not sure it is just me or the racket though. still trying to figure this out.

18. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    owned a lighter end 4u apacs.
    cons-
    there was no power in the smashes.
    there was no true end to end clear.
    you could just play singles with it, needed extra power.
    stability of the frame was off.
    low rear court confidence in doubles.
    net play crumbled!

pros-
    speed!
    defence, i could defend almost all smashes, in position or out of position it wasnt much of effort.
    last minute deceptions were nice!
    less of arm fatigue!

19. badmintonkid94

badmintonkid94 New Member

For me I think I'll settle with a 7U racket and 5U being the heaviest. At first, I don't like the feel of the 7U racket but once I got used to it, I can do end to end clears and some deception shots that I can't do using my older 3u rackets.

Lastly, my elbows don't hurt :)

sp00k and Ngcantrong like this.
  20. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

I've tried the windstorm 72 which is 6U and was sceptical at first. When I tried it, I was surprised at the amount of power I could generate.

Pros : swing speed. Not necessary more power but it does mean I could generate a faster swing in less time. I.e. Smashing down in awkward positions (note I'm average at best, so someone who's coached might be better)

Con : that power ceiling is going to exist, because given enough time, you should be able to hit harder with a heavier racket. However as a counter, you going to be able to smash harder in situations where you don't have enough time normally.

Another con, timing. This is where I ultimately decided 72g was a tad too light. You going to have to time your swings to take advantage of this swing speed. There was one time I had to adapt to some new shuttles and my timing was way off and as a consequence the power took a massive dive.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Gpower and Ngcantrong like this.