Koo Kien Kiet/Tan Boon Heong/Rexy Combination

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by jug8man, Jan 22, 2007.

1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    I think high time rexy speaks out, the more clues (his statement shows something he's holding back)

he's giving, the more stressful he will be. Probably he will burst again :p

"... Sometimes, a physical trainer may not be able to gauge ..."

In another statement he was requesting for Sean's assistance again (who has helped kkk/tan physically before)

and he mentioned his name several times :D

#1521 pBmMalaysia, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. victory

victory Regular Member

Indeed fitness is the key area KKK/TBH need to improve as I have mentioned in the KKK/TBH going down hill thread. Without fitness they can not sustain the pace of attacking game plan. Without fitness they can not even do effective counter attack.

Look at the old FU/CHAI. At their age they have to work much harder to maintain fitness compare to young pairs. Yet they keep paying the price to remain at the top. I agree that KKK/TBH need strong discipline to maintain at the top, of which they don't have at the moment.

They still have it. They are gifted. The question is do they want more? Are they willing to pay the price? Who says success is easy? Who says maintaining success is easy?

In terms of discipline, there is so much a coach and the physical trainer can do. Yes KKK/TBH need discipline from coaches but KKK/TBH need a lot more self discipline.

In my humble opinion, at their level, a lot control is in their own hands now.

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    this 2 guys are not young anymore, if they wanna RELAX... let them be... BAM should spend more time on younger players... its a free world... no point forcing them...

4. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Ya right the physical part is what they should look into :eek: But my post wasn't commenting on those 2 :D

5. victory

victory Regular Member

Yup. You were talking more on Rexy.:D

I just hope Rexy doesn't end up in hospital once more. Probably it is good for Rexy to let go these 2 monkeys on his back. No heart attack issue.:p

6. victory

victory Regular Member

I agree. Professional players need a lot of initiative. It is their own career at stake.

Rexy, in fact, all coaches should always eyeing on young talents.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Kien Keat playing with fire
    D5 Sports - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2011
    By: Yong Ai Wen

Full report: http://news.mylaunchpad.com.my/Sports/Article?news=173586

Excerpts:

KUALA LUMPUR, (D5) - Koo Kien Keat could incur the wrath of his coach Rexy Mainaky and the Badminton Association of Malaysia after going missing from training.

The doubles shuttler did not turn up for three days since Saturday, sparking rumours that he is expressing disappointment toward Rexy's system.

This is an unprofessional attitude displayed by Kien Keat, who together with partnet Tan Boon Heong, were lacklustre in their quarter-final defeat to Koo Sung-hyun-Yoo Yeon-seong in the BWF World Championships. His action does not just affect his and Boon Heong's training schedule, it also sets a bad image towards the junior shuttlers.

BAM will be expected to lay down the consequence to make Kien Keat an example of, whose rather easy going lifestyle off the court has made some council members think twice about his commitment to the game.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Rexy: Koo-Tan loss in London is not my fault
    KUALA LUMPUR

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Full report: http://www.bt.com.bn/sports-world/20...n-not-my-fault

Excerpts:

NATIONAL men's doubles coach Rexy Mainaky today denied claims that Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong's loss in the World Championships quarter-finals in London two weeks ago was due to the training programme.

..."They (Koo and Tan) were told to adopt the attacking mode when playing against the Koreans but they could not match the speed and power. Since speed and power involves the physical strength of the players, why blame the training programme," Rexy said, questioning whether those responsible for the physical strength and stamina of the players had carried out their duty well.

....According to a local daily, BAM based its claim on a report from National Sports Institute (ISN) director-general Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz's who based his findings on his observation and analysis of the duo's defeat.

...According to Dr Ramlan, Koo and Tan had retorted to a defensive mode when playing Ko Sung-hyun/Yoo Yeon-seong from South Korea in the quarter-final, compared with the style of play against their same opponent, last year.Bernama

9. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

What KK does off court is actually non of BAM's business. He's an employee of Bam not a slave.
    Having said that, like any employee, one has to perform when at work. I haven't read any complains about his work ethics during training, so no issues there. He just needs to bring a better game to tournament play.
    The current culture in badminton is still very unprofessional. The players are paid a fixed allowance and are expected to heed everything the coach says, whether right or wrong. Example : LD told to throw matches.. I'm not implying that Rexy is another Yongbo, but some of his methods are not working and the players should have the option to change coaches. Badminton should look towards tennis and golf. Both are individual sport like badminton. The players have to earn their bucks and make changes necessary for their career. If they still fail to perform, the go broke and leave the tour. That's pressure, and that kinda situation that builds character... unlike these immature and naughty little boys that afraid of the headmaster.
    Sadly this isn't going to happen cause' BAM still relish their headmaster role.. anyone who breaks the mold and becomes a true professional gets kicks out of the world championships.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Ah, but what if your employee doesn't show up for work 3 days in a row with no excuses and without asking for leave of absence? As it seems to be the case with Ah Koo...:rolleyes:

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yes, rexy is starting to talk :D. Spit it out, rexy! :)

12. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    watched the match over 3 times, u two do breathing heavily. just went to world championship without fitness. lol. u think u play with high school students ? oh i see u put the blame on the training programme. then u two should go training in korea since i seldom seen the korean players 'breathing'.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Couldn't agree more with your observations about BAM and it's confused, confusing culture. :D

However, re. KKK's not turning up for training, it directly affects the preparation and preparedness of his partner as well. At the highest levels of the game, everyone takes their training and practise sessions very seriously: they have to, otherwise they will surely be exposed at tournament time. Besides the physical aspects, many other angles (tactics, strategy, new attack formations etc) are addressed at these sessions as well. And if the player is getting on in age, all the more reason to ensure that he gets his quota of training and practise. KKK is definitely a candidate for a yellow card, if not a red card here! :D

14. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

If KK broke the rules, I'll give him a yellow card.. red seems a little too harsh. If he chooses to stay in BAM, he has to respect their rules..
    Wonder what would happen if KK suddenly decides to quite BAM and become and independent player. Would we be sending juniors instead of our top ranked players to the Olympics in the interest of the nation? Sure we would, wouldn't we :)

15. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    What about KKK/TBH simply let go the game after being left behind by the Korean pair?

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    BAM should do something against the flamboyant boy to serve as stern warning to other shuttlers of his unprofessional ethics.Chopped his head down. Who he think he is? Wake up. Koo/Tan wont have the chance in OG12 no matter who coached them.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

I say, if they dont make it to the OG2012 finals, Rexy should force Ah Koo to shave his head bald! :p

18. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    It is a case of follow the leaders or loosers....BAM is no leaders (no balls, no vision) so what does anyone expect of KKK/TBH. LCW succeed because of his own drive to succeed, as I said many times before LCW is a dream student every teacher would want to have. IMO, remove the turkeys in BAM (take Bata James along) and maybe some eagles will soar.

19. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Outsider view: Rexy got them to no.1 WR. They seem to have mental strength problems, either they don't care (I doubt) or because they feel the pressure they try to play like they don't care which results in the sort of negative performance you see. They also had bad record against Korean pair who looked totally confident

Just like on the LCW thread, why is the coach in question? It could be that even with the china and korea coaches coaching MAS they would be doing even worse, there's lots of factors

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Very sensible post! :) I have kinda noticed this propensity to point fingers at the coaches when things don't fall into place off the bat... since they are possibly the first in line as a target. But any rational-thinking person would know that a good coach is an invaluable asset. Oh but hold on, this is about BAM and all that isn't it?!?!? :D Strike out rational thinking, please...