2011 Japan Open SS: Finals Day - Sunday 25-September

Discussion in 'Japan Open / Indonesia GP Gold 2011' started by chris-ccc, Sep 24, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    :D:D:D OK, I will volunteer. But they will need to come to Melbourne to learn the 'Low Doubles Service' from me. :p:p:p

2. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Perhaps that's make INA MD different with the rest? :D

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

So you watched the match. My friends took me out for lunch and we stayed together until we had dinner together too. Only returned home at about 8:30pm to catch up with all the news/results. :):):)

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I can see what you mean. But there is a thing that players shall not try to influence the line judges (to say that the shuttlecock was hit "OUT"). Just allow the line judges to do their work/judgement.

I think our BC posters were meaning to criticise Chen Long on this matter.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Poor Schenk. :eek::eek::eek:

With WYH having a rest day yesterday (Semi-Finals Walkover/No Match), Schenk should not be expected to last as long as WYH.

6. icecoldcoke

icecoldcoke Regular Member

As world number 1, lcw shouldn't lose... :crying:

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hahaha... This is the funniest description (post) of what occurred at the Japan Open for the whole tournament. :D:D:D

8. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

It did appear that way. LCW wanted not only beat CL but also destroy CL by toying with him before winning.

Toying with over-the-hill heroes of yesterday is not the same with toying with a raising star. LCW got burned, just as LD did on a few occasions. On the positive side, this should help LCW to avoid future mishaps.

9. RedShuttle

According to LCW, that was a stomach ache / food poisoning problem.

10. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

but where is there the need to influence the lines judge when the shot landed clearly out? and are the lines judge so easily influenced that he would have just parroted that the shot was "OUT" even if he actually saw otherwise? I feel it's such a strong accusation to make against a player who made a reflex gesture in front of the lines judge because he got very ecstatic at clinching the championship point when he saw that his opponent's shuttle land out.

It is just sad that people would try to demean an honest match victory by saying things like "he had the advantage of a day's rest", and "he tried (and succeeded) in influencing the lines judge into giving him the win". Would it have mattered if CL had a Week's rest if he did not have anything to better CW when playing against him today?

On the other hand, judging from the many opinions shared on the forum, i'd add one thing: hats off to some of the sports audience nowadays. they make it their business to worry about what kind of court habit is detrimental for the sport and are hence always on the lookout for little things like Trying to Influence the linesjudge, players Raising their hands to Stall a match before being served to, etc. This can't be an easy thing to keep up since they only end up spoiling their fun in watching the match but they only do it out of concern for the sport. i think it is very noteworthy.

11. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

from her tone, you can feel GC is a little bias against China....

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

I can sense that as well...

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Players should not tell the line judge whether the shot is in or out

Players should allow the line judge to do his work/observation. Players should not tell the line judge whether the shot is in or out.

On the other hand, if the line judge has made a mistake (according to what the player has observed), then the player can question the call.

This reminded me to direct our BCers to read this thread located at;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...play-system-to-check-disputes-over-line-calls

Badminton explores use of technology for 'hot' line calls (I hope it could be implemented ASAP). ;););)

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, RedShuttle,you answered it for me, that's why I count this win as historic not the previous one.

15. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

well, it's fine as a rule, but i still think that it's a rather harsh phrase to use - "trying to influence the linesman". and that Gill was so Sure that it did today, was even harder to digest. especially when i noticed she doesn't repeat the phrase quite so often and as confidently when non-CHN players did the same.

16. RedShuttle

As far as commentators go, GC is relatively fair.

However, her comments at the end of LCW and CL game were way too harsh. It was not even a close call. CL was expressing his joy rather than influencing the line judge. After such a big win, some out-of-top reaction can be expected. That was a borderline "once in a lifetime" moment. Not that CL will never beat LCW again, but you know what I mean.

The walk-overs may got to GC. I can certainly share that frustration. But those comments were unfortunate blemishes on an otherwise professional performance by GC.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    get over it people. It's up to BAM to voice out if there are injustice. Not you, you and you... me neither.. lol. ;)

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Why not? :D, bombard their email boxes!

19. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I think GC is a very fair and impartial commentator to all and sundry and it is not an easy job when comments are made in the heat of the moment.
    CL clearly influenced the linesman with his two hands indicating out.

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Hi guys, though this tread is probably already dead, I would like to comment on GC's attitude. I think we are being a bit harsh. GC is not sympathetic with CHN players, but there are objective reasons and exceptions. For exceptions, she is always very positive when talking about WYH and Zhang Ning. She obviously has lots of respect for those two.
    For objective reasons, I guest it is the language. GC talks to players, ride with them from hotel to stadium, etc., but it is not possible with CHN players. Because of language, and because CHN team is group-oriented, it is not easy I guess to take the players apart.
    So for me her bias against CHN players is just that she don't know them personally. It is the negative aspect of CHN team's main strenght : its collective life.