LCW in his best form but LD can still dominate him

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open 2011' started by galaxyduo, Nov 18, 2011.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    LD got more brains than LCW. Period. See the interviews. ;)

Maybe maybe maybe... how to make it??? lol. ;)

2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I am not familiar with LCW's interviews. Language might be an issue (for me) as I understand chinese but not bahasa, so it is unfair to judge by interviews given in english by LCW.
    But that LD has some brain is for sure - though sometimes it might not be so important. I mean, 'brain' comes with so much variety...

3. extremenanopowe

I give LD credit for the brain power woooing XXF. lol. ;)

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Indeed!......

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

LD has the advantage of brainy coaches who help him think. LCW, well, he learns faster on his own than from his coaches. LD is not stupid but LCW is definitely smart.

6. extremenanopowe

LCW is smart in eating mcd. lol. ;)

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. If you judge LD from interviews, he comes across very savvy, an instant hit. That could be natural or trained. That interview about the mother and XXF has the objective of creating the soft image of LD as a model son and husband. LCW is very raw in interviews partly because English is not his first language. Maybe someone should let him know he may use 'perhaps' for variety instead of just maybe. Maybe he knows about the word perhaps but prefers the word maybe because it s less effort. Maybe it s a verbal expression of his humility which he s known for. As a person, LCW comes across as someone you can trust. LD sounds so clever you don t know whether he s lying or impressing. But LD is improving in honesty except during tournaments where he will apologize to his opponents for net cord wins but show no respect for the fans with his fake or MC badminton.

8. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

LCW does sound like a regular Malaysian street kid, sometimes indecisive and having a lot of diligence and street smart. LD on the other hand is a literate gentlemen who speaks wisely and in control.

But you would never know each man without actually spending time with them each. Your street smart kid (whom you may think resembles your neighbourhood kid) could turn out to be somewhat of an opportunistic backstabber while the university professor who bugs your knowledge with his wise thinking philosophy could turn out to be a charity giver and great teacher :p

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Kak Pjswift, maybe is direct translation from the word 'mungkin'. I've noticed LCW also says 'mungkin' when he gives interviews in malay. Those who dont usually speak/use English would not use 'perhaps', they use maybe
    In Msia, one needs to speak humbly in public, cannot sound arrogant or everyone will come down....hard.

On this interviews thingy, LCW of course speaks Mandarin most fluent, doesnt hesitate to answer in Mandarin. Malay also rather fluent, from years of having Misbun as coach.;) English, lol but at least can speak lah.

#29 eaglehelang, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

True. Mungkin is a very important word in Bahasa. Let him know maybe is not a good word in English. Just drop the maybe and he will sound better in English. Also save energy for badminton. Kill two birds with no stone!

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I think LCW's mother tongue is "min nan hua", the dialect from Fujian, but I am not sure. LD's mother tongue is min nan hua ; I guess when they meet they use it together (and Chen Long as well).
    I think we should not exaggerate LD's cleverness ; he has perhaps a sharp tongue and he definitively knows the game like no one else, but he did not go to school : his life had been badminton and more badminton since early childhood.

12. braids

braids Regular Member

I would not think either cleverness or interview skills has much to do with education. Even a PhD can appear to be kinda stupid in an interview.

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Exactly, that is my point. We should not make too much out of interview skills.
    But it is fair to say that when playing badminton LD is indeed clever!

14. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Min-nan-hua has been the language medium which has been used extensively between by and between coach Tay and LCW for his coaching and encouragements. It can be heard clearly during the mid game and set intervals when the camera zooms in on them both.

Min-nan-hua is also the most common language/dialect especially among the Chinese-descented Malaysians in Penang where LCW originates from.

15. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    The debate has shifted to who speaks better in interviews, can someone post some video so we can compare. Let compare their girlfriends/wifes, or maybe sponsors too? Im curious to know what kinda of money they are pulling in on a yearly basis.

16. braids

braids Regular Member

Agree. Taufik was also clever in playing badminton but his energy-consuming playing style relies too much on his fitness.

17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. Education level is no indication of verbal flair. I remember our second Prime Minister. When he first appeared on TV, I thought he was made of wood. Then they put him on intensive training with a speech coach. He is now passable but I wouldn t want to see him speak on TV. When you meet sales people, you can t judge their education level because a lot of smooth sales talk is trained and rehearsed until it s second nature. But when you are close to a head coach like LYB, it s difficult not to be savvy.

18. zerosum88

zerosum88 Regular Member

Lin Dan definitely speaks Min-Nan-Hua, but I am not sure about Chen Long. Chen Long was born in Hu Bei Province, which also has Li Na, and many other famous athletes. Hu Bei Province is also very strong in Badminton as well, like Han-Ai-Ping in early days.

Chen Long was recruited by Fu Jian Province at age of 9. I don't know how much he could pick up Min-Nan-Hua after age of 9. The badminton team may speak Mandarin there.

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Thanks for the info, zerosum. I was always told he was from Fujian.
    How can a kid of 9 be recruited by a province! That shows why CHN team produces so many good players : they nurture them from such an early age!

20. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Too early said like that....