Chen Jin should have been denied already to play London 2012

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by 2cents, Oct 27, 2011.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Non-countable pts? LOL.....make sure you do some research first before you post. It was you who first mentioned that tennis NEVER AWARDS pts to Olympics.

This is from the ATP website:
    The ITF and the ATP today announced an agreement to award South African Airways ATP Rankings points at the 2012 Olympic Tennis Event in London at Wimbledon. This is the fourth successive Olympic Games where men have received South African Airways ATP Rankings points.

The South African Airways 2012 ATP Rankings of Monday, 11 June 2012 will be used as the basis for determining the 56 direct acceptances in the 64-player men’s singles draw, subject to a maximum of four players per country as well as existing eligibility requirements.

2. sen

sen Regular Member

In terms of awarding points, there is not that much difference between badminton and tennis.

On another point, I think world ranking has less prestige than winning tournaments. In tennis it is the same, world rank no 1 but never win grand slam event is considered not an outstanding player yet.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Looks like Badmania can rest his case. :)

Back to CJ, all he has to do is to win a few tournaments, beat LD, CL, LCW and get his ranking to no. 4 (or above CL), and he can go to the Olympics. Seems fair to me. Those were the rules 1 year ago so everybody knew that.

Another way to get CJ in would be to expand the draw to 64 entries. I would support this expansion!!

#143 Cheung, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

no point having player from the same country to make up the number. each country should send two of their best to participate in the match.... looking at how China using Lin Dan as a walkover in order for Chen Jin to be in the olympic really spoilt the game image!

Recently as a Fan, i bought ticket to see the top player playing but end up seeing LD walkover in order for CJ to play! shame on china badminton team!

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    May I correct myself. :)

The rules were in place one year ago.

But beating LD, CL, LCW is not in the rule book. My bad. :eek: :)

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    only when all 3 pairs is in top 8,then u can choose who to send,who not to send
    Bam selected koo/tan,chong/lee for og08,leaving zakry/fairuz out of their 1st og

and
    that is not a grey area
    if u have 2 pair in top 8,and another in 9-16
    if one of the top 8 pair is injured,unable to play,the slot will be awarded to the next qualified but cant enter pair,the 3rd pair is not qualified at 1st place

7. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Please dont even talk about our MAS MD disastrous campaign in Beijing 2008. KKK and TBH played badly and expectedly knocked out by the eventual champion. Dodgy and poor decisive selection by BAM is at its best yet again, leaving in form zakry/fairuz out instead of the famous choking pair.

Chen Jin must be feeling very down on the inside right now, he needs his teammates to push his ranking to the top four to keep his Olympics qualification hopes alive. Even if he did make it as the third singles, his objective is primarily to either meet LCW to tire him out as much as he can or meet Lin Dan as planned to let him through to the final. A player being used as chess pawn by the Chinese grandmaster LYB.

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    which year malaysia didnt have a disastrous campaign in OG since 1992
    where we never won a gold before?

9. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Only way if CJ have any hope of getting a shot at the olympics would be if CL beat LCW in the first semi and then its LD vs CJ in the second. Then you would think team orders wouldn't matter.

10. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I think China is doing that to put Chen Jin to the Olympics but more importantly to complain to and pressure the BWF on the stupid rules. To ensure engagement is of course important but keeping a top 10 player like Chen Jin away from the Olympics just because of nationality quota is simply insane. It's a reflection of the overall power of a country. If the US were dominant in badminton as China is today, these stupid rules would not have existed in the first place. Or imagine if the number of countries allowed to participate in the football World Cup were the same for each continent. It simply would not happen because of a powerful europe.

11. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    It's okay, Chen Jin draws closer now to the fourth spot. Well he would have reduced the margin currently is 2000 points by loads if he hadn't lost to JOJ. February is the best time for him to get rested before playing again in the German Open and All England event...maybe Swiss Open too. Three tournaments in a row...

Then we have India and Singapore Open as the last SS events for players to grab as many points as possible to get a good seeding in top 16. At first I thought the race is over because Peter Gade is incredibly consistent in reaching every semifinal tournament which would have officially prevented Chen Jin from catching up. Now, we see Peter Gade is starting to lose to other players and the race is still on.