[BAM] Missing out on Thomas Cup Finals no big deal, say BAM

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Preliminary Round 2012' started by rogerv2, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Who is this NCC anyway ? I hope he gets fired because what he says has completely put Malaysian badminton out of the map.. What an epic RETARD

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    On the same day (Feb 1), another article from The Star

Rexy believes women’s team can make cut for Uber Cup

PETALING JAYA: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) may not have much faith in the men’s team making the cut for the Thomas Cup Finals, but national women’s doubles coach Rexy Mainaky believes his charges can qualify for the Uber Cup Finals.

Malaysia have been drawn with powerhouses China and India in Group W for the Uber Cup qualifying rounds, which begin in Macau on Feb 13 and stand a very slim chance of reaching the Finals, which will be held in Wuhan, China, in May. With former national ace Wong Mew Choo already retired, Malaysia are shorn of singles talent as the likes of Tee Jing Yi, Lydia Cheah, Sannatasah Saniru and Yang Li Lian are nowhere near capable of carrying the team past the group stages.
    Saina Nehwal: Rexy thinks Tee Jing Yi can give the Indian shuttler a run for her money.

However, Rexy feels that the draw isn’t too bad and that there is a realistic chance of overcoming India to advance from the group stages.

“Our main target is to overcome India ... if (Chin) Eei Hui-(Wong) Pei Tty are injury-free, they have the quality to win a point against the top Indian pair of Jwala Gutta-Ashwini Ponnappa,” said Rexy.

“Our second doubles are also not to be underestimated ... they can rise to the occasion.

“In the singles, Jing Yi could give Saina Nehwal a run for her money and an on-form Lydia can overcome India’s second singles without much difficulty.”

Besides Eei Hui-Pei Tty, the other women’s doubles shuttlers in the squad are Vivian Hoo-Woon Khe Wei and Goh Liu Ying-Lim Yin Loo.

Vivian-Khe Wei reached the quarter-finals of the Malaysian Open last month while Liu Ying-Yin Loo pulled off a stunning win over Jwala-Ashwini in the India Open GP Gold last December.

Rexy also confirmed that Khe Wei, who twisted her ankle during the Malaysian Open, is already doing light training.

“She is not yet 100% fit and her movement is a little restricted, but she is recovering fast and should be fit for the qualifiers,” he said.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Also on the same day (1 Feb), another article in The Star

Chong Wei banking on team spirit to help Malaysia qualify

PETALING JAYA: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei is ready to play his part and help Malaysia make it past the Thomas Cup qualifying rounds, which will be held in Macau from Feb 13-19.

Malaysia have one of the weakest squads ever and have been drawn in the tough Group D with second seeds South Korea and Hong Kong.

They will have their work cut out if they aim to avoid the embarrassment of failing to qualify for the Finals for the third time.
    Rising stars: Goh V Shem (right) and Lim Khim Wah will be Malaysia’s second pair in the Thomas Cup qualifiers.

Malaysia have failed to qualify for the Finals only twice – in 1973 and 1979.

But Chong Wei believes that the current team need to unite in order to pull through.

“I am aware that we do not have a strong squad, but we have nothing to lose and I am hoping for some strong team spirit to pull ourselves through,” said Chong Wei.

“We will go out there and try our very best to qualify for the Thomas Cup Finals.

“As for the match against the Koreans, I hope we can pull through with one point from singles and two more from the doubles pairs.

“It will be crucial for me to win the first singles because it will help take the pressure off the doubles pairs ... hopefully our second and third singles will be able to steal a point as well.

“For now, it is important that we focus on the group stages and nothing else.

“We must prepare ourselves as best we can for the qualifiers.”

Besides Chong Wei, the other singles players in the squad are Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Liew Daren and Mohd Arif Abdul Latif.

The doubles shuttlers include Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Goh V Shem-Lim Khim Wah, Hoon Thien How and Teo Kok Siang.

It looks like Chong Wei isn’t the only who thinks Malaysia can overcome South Korea.

National men’s singles head coach Rashid Sidek thinks his men can topple South Korea and make the quarter-finals as group winners.

“South Korea are very strong in the doubles and the key to scoring an upset win over them is for one of our doubles pairs to steal a point,” said Rashid.

“Even then, we definitely need two points from the singles, so Hafiz or Daren will have to deliver the goods, just like Chong Wei.

“This is our best chance because their second singles Park Sung-hwan is just recovering from an injury and may not be fully fit.

“Still, we have to be fully prepared because their third singles, Shon Wan-ho is a dangerous player.”

4. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

hope MAS team will show themselves what they are... or GO HOME...!!

5. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    It depends entirely on Koo-Tan. Usually they should be able to perform well against non-Korean pairs. The defeat against Taiwanese or Indonesian pairs is one - off thing unless Koo tries to be an entertainer rather than a player.

6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

They have lost to Bona/Ahsan in their last few meetings... although I agree that they should not go down to Fang/Lee despite their most recent meeting. In fact, based on recent meetings they have a severe disadvantage against many top 10 pairs.

7. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    With a lot of hot air coming out NCC's ******** mouth, why dont they let Zulfadi Zulkifli to play then ?? I rather see him play than Arif because after all that training from Hendrawan, Arif has not risen to the occasion clearly he is not meant to go miles ahead of other shuttlers.

Liew Daren, well what can I say...we need him as much as we need Hafiz to cover the remaining MS spots.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Might as well pull out LCW is NCC is not interested in TC? ;)

Let the juniors play. ;) What a waste of time and paying HPT. ;)

For OG, there's only LCW with a medal prospect. So, why need so many HPT or CC? ;)

9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Stealing limelight and squeezing the juice (money)

The only reason HPT exist now is that Malaysia has a world number 1 player still sitting on top of the ranking for the longest running time no other malaysian player has managed to do so.

I don't know if HPT existed before this (LCW up and coming era) but maybe someone else from BC can clarify this.

The way i see it, if Malaysia had 1 LCW, there will be 3 chin cais or his 'alikes'. If Malaysia has 3 LCW, then we would have 9 chin cais or his 'alikes'.

When LCW retires, then so can the HPT retire. Because they are all banking and using LCW as their bread and butter.

Sure I understand the part about not putting up the players to undue pressure of demoralizing defeat and thereby affecting the morale of the coming olympics. But I still say the reason for such utter blatant comment of hinting at giving up before the TC begins, 'IS TO COVER THEIR SORRY ASSES'.

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    why need so many HPT or CC - to spread Maybank loot among friends;)

When you found out how much these chaps make, I am not sure whose asses are more sorry - the rakyat (citizen/tax-payers) or the stooges and their lackeys?;):D

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Someone from HK is confused the malaysian public to BC forumers here. The latter, i.e. yours truly included, are vocal and voice own uncensored opinions like sumatran tigers but safely protected behind a computer screen, while the malaysian public would yap bravely too in the kopitiams but like a pussy cat doing nothing much when time calls for action - that is our national past time as I recalled during the time I was in MAS:D
    LCW knows MAS TC is hopeless, maybe every country outside of CHN is hopeless and LCW is smart, what do we expect him to say, to commit political incorrect sin like 'I give up', 'no hope lah' yada. LCW spoke well like a pack leader 'I do my best' ' fighting spirt' and yadayada, speak all the tight words and stay away from these crap and let NCC screwed it up putting a shoe in his mouth.
    If MAS loses every game and LCW win every one, that would not affect LCW OLY dream and his most important target OLY gold and LD/CL in the way. LCW winning 8 national title, all these SS, huge endorsement, datoship, ferrari and his huge baddy income may be more demoralizing to his teammates, some oth them making nothing much. ​

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    To put things in perspective, the Thomas Cup today is a poor shadow of what it was in earlier days.
    When Malaysia became the first country to win the Thomas Cup in the 1940s it was then the only global championship at par with the Olympics in the frequency it was contested-every 4 years.
    Today, we have the Surdiman Cup, the Uber Cup, the downgrading of the Thomas Cup to 2 years frequency, the World Championship , and since 1992 the Olympics.
    Let us be realistic, every country would give top priority to the Olympics today. I am sure China would be prepared to even walk away from the Thomas Cup in exchange for guaranteed Golds in the Olympics.
    Another thing, it is one thing to be very passionate and vocal fans but to have only one opinion, always negative in a mob-like or herd-like pattern, are not a good reflection of the type of fans we should have.

13. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    That is a very vague, dubious, neither here nor there argument. So are you the other type of non mob-like, herd-like, tribe-like other kind of fan?

Pardon me, it is the passion of fans and sportsman that brings brilliance to the sport, not wishy-washies ppl who don't know and who don't have a clue which direction to go, ie going for the Sabah trip when there are no direct flights to Macau.

But mostly it is inevitable that passion brings people together to stand up for what they believe in; but it is sad sometimes to be labeled as a MOB.

#53 Pakito, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    its either they are the same person or shadow
    hehe

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I thought being mob-like or herd-like is the very definition of being fans. Ever seen a one-man fan base? Or a group with fans who disagree with each other?

That said, I believe we all have different degrees of opinion. Most of us may have negative (or positive) opinions about a certain issue, but it can range from total disgust to slight distaste. However, since only those with strong feelings tend to be vocal about it, the general opinion can be easily misinterpreted.

16. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

If there's one good point of the Thomas Cup to the Malaysian team it would be that the several shuttlers in centralized training might improve...

One slot wasted on Hafiz :rolleyes:

17. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Arbitration

I agree with hcyong.

There is a 'mostly' right interpretation, and there is a 'mostly' off the mark/wrong interpretation on every issue or matter pertaining to BAM lately.

However I do not give a hoot about those who can't take a side ie 'sitting on the fence'.

For the sake of taneepak's argument, let's give him the benefit of the doubt for arbitration. Let's say BAM is doing right by not pressuring the players to give their all for upcoming TC. They don't want to jeopardize the Olympics - understandable. But to even openly announced it? Then why not just forget about the TC and focused on Olympics? Why not just send Zulfadli, keep LCW at home then?

It's going to be ironic if for some circumstances that Malaysia does enter into the TC final, mark my words, BAM will then change the wind direction and say that initially they didn't want to put them under too much pressure (the real reason to cover their behinds) but change their mind and made a conviction to go all the way anyway. In that way, the get to share the limelight - again, against all odds.

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if bam have a method to improve their player
    they should do it everyday and night
    why only they do it 2 weeks out of 52?
    cant understand the mentality and concept

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Of course it was mob behavior with some herd-like support too. It was a verbal lynching mob with BAM the poor victim, being made to suffer a thousand cuts. Besides those in the lynching mob there were also "supporters" who, herd-like, cheered the mob on.
    It is obvious that those who "used" their killing weapons will always deny it.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Since when has BAM been a victim, or even a poor one? It s the players who are the real victims. In the space of a week, NCC went from, MAS may not qualify, then MAS better reach the Semifinals, otherwise gotta play another seven rounds, to TC not important so can lose, no worries, team! Who is this guy at the helm? It s like he can t figure out what he s supposed to do or he changes his mind as new input filters in. This NCC has been behaving like a rat in the maze, hitting dead end decisions constantly so MAS is going nowhere. In such cases, what do we do with the rat? We replace it. When NCC s not doing his job ( how many years damage already?) the right thing is to resign, if not, he has to be shown the exit. Maybe he said wait till Aug...If LCW wins, I get my prize, if LCW does not, no point hanging around because no more chance for big prize, same for James and Ah Jit, we re buddies going for London holidays, this year Ah Jit as well, MayBank becomes AugustBank just for this year.