China has failed three times to capture the Thomas Cup on HOME SOIL

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Finals 2012' started by Miqilin7, Dec 31, 2011.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

CHN will end that jinx to lift Thomas Cup for the first time at their homeground.
    Yeah, Chen Long or MD2 may spring surprising lost but overall they're the strongest team among all participants.

2. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Yea in 1996 and 1998 and 2002, the INA squad were VERY VERY good... (we wiped out everybody from Thomas Cup 1994.... we only lost it in 2004) Thus, China could not win. Now, I think it is their time. The only country that has a chance of beating China is only Korea.

3. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

hmm, it's interesting to see if china would be able to break this jinx. hehe..

4. Speed & Power

Speed & Power Regular Member

Cannot compare China squad then and now. Back then they dont really have a reliable team but this time around they have world dominators of Lin Dan, and Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng in their squad. I think they can definitely break the home soil jinx.

Their success will also hugely be dependent on the performance of Chen Long. If he can withstand the pressure and perform up to expectation, then China will be unstoppable but if he cracks under pressure then that's the Middle Kingdom's weak link. Their 2nd doubles is also not expected to shine but they usually perform when not under pressure.

5. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

Against China TC formidable team of LD, CL, CJ, CY/FHF and GZD/CB, these are my opinion:-

1) Denmark:
    PG (no - almost impossible to win), JOJ (maybe - has chance to win), HKV (low maybe), MB/CM (maybe), MC/JR (maybe)

2) Korea:
    LHI (no), SWH (low maybe), PSH (low maybe), LYD/JJS (high maybe), KSH/YYS (high maybe)

3) Malaysia:
    LCW (high maybe), DL (low maybe), HH (low maybe), KKK/TBH (low maybe), LKW/GVS (low maybe)

4) Japan:
    SS (no), KT (low maybe), KY (no), HH/NH (low maybe), NK/SS (low maybe)

5) Indonesia:
    SS (no), TH (low maybe), TS (no), MA/BS (low maybe), MK/HS (high maybe)

Thus, my take that the most probable team that has a chance to overcome China is "Denmark". :)

6. sen

sen Regular Member

Agree that on paper Den has the highest chance to win but Den usually not performing that well in Thomas Cup.

I think INA can surprise CHN in the 2 doubles by using combination of Alvent, Angga, Ahsan, Hendra.

However, very low chance for upset unless Taufik can beat Chen Long as MS1 and MS3 will be CHN easy points.

Same with Korea, their 2 doubles can win but none of their singles.

Japan chance is lower.

7. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cup

I
    f you look between 1992 to 2002, China did not win a single Thomas Cup, so I don't think it was that they cannot win on their home soil, it was simply that they were not strong enough to win during that time.

8. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

It sure is weird that while Denmark has the highest chance to overcome China, they have a high chance to lose to every other country too, including a weak Malaysia. They might also lose every match to China. Their 2nd singles and 2nd doubles are really on and off.

9. AE 86

AE 86 Regular Member

i feel that KOREA has a very high chance to take the TC away from China as compare to others

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Not high, very slim but is much higher than the others ;) If there's an upset my bet is still on Korea. JJS/LYD and KSH/YYS have to win in order to upset the script, both have opponents that are pretty tough too. One more point have to be contributed by Shon Wan Ho, no matter what. I don't think he can beat Chen Long just yet though.

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Agree with you KOR has a chance of upset. CL has yet to prove he can perform when pressure is on. Home advantage can be good or bad. If SWH hits top form against a jittery CL, who knows. But KOR MDs have to them all. Looks like it is for CHN to lose TC than for other countries to win.

12. gensee

gensee Regular Member

Programmer
    prefer CHN win. so MAS can remain as 3rd nation to win most TC a little bit longer (at least another 2 years) . hehe