Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    There are a few good hustlers out there. Cari makan. ;)

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Conceptually, Sajiu has a point. Mind you, just conceptually, but I for one, recognise the point he is attempting to make.

I once played for an 18-month period for my college team. I barely made it into the team, but it was led by a thin, small guy who was 3 years older than me. He looked like a hippie, chain-smoked and did pot. He had thin arms and a tummy. He had soft, sad eyes and long hair. But he smiled a lot, and was very easygoing. He didn't train, but it was known that he had trained pretty seriously as a kid, back in Hong Kong, I believe, in the late 60s and very early 70s. He must have been one of the most talented players I have ever seen, and that includes everything I have watched on Youtube. To watch this guy was just unreal. He floated on court. His backhand was as magical as Taufik, and it does not come easy for me to say this. His courtcraft, shape, technique was in a word, supreme. He had Carbonex racquets and Yonex bags, and Yonex shoes at a time when guys like me could only dream of them. And yet, in another year's time, he disappeared.

If this sounds hard to believe, believe it, because it is true. He never won anything more than runner-up at most university tournaments, but when he was in the mood, he could thrash all the winners and even state-level players with one hand tied, make them look like ridiculous, bumbling idiots on court. And then he'd get bored, and let it drift away from him.

No one thought fit to persuade him to make it to the next level. Many good, respected coaches knew of him, watched him play, but scorned him when they saw him smoking, and they all walked away. We all knew the coaches wanted their own importance, and they knew there was nothing they could teach him, or take credit for as far as he was concerned.

Where did the problem lie? He was in love with the game, in an almost romantic way. But no one wanted to take the effort to convert this love into a passion, to channel his energies into a professional approach. We lost a potential champion then.

When I watch Taufik now, I am often reminded of that other guy. Only, the other guy had the genetic code to be a naturally better, more artistic, graceful, gifted and lethal player than even Taufik. I believe this, because I was there. But then, he had some other stuff in his genetic code that would never allow him to fulfill the potential.

In the end, it is just another sad, "if only" story. I am sure there are many such stories in towns all over Malaysia. And other countries, too. But it also points to how many things have to come together in time and space for a guy to actually fulfill his potential in a walk of life he loves.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Very sad, but true

That's a great story of one's talent/potential. But if he/she doesn't want to make use of it, what can we say? :):):)

As a coach, I have found this type of stories so very often - Talented trainees who were encouraged to perform better, lost interest (just because of the extra work, which is required to arrive at the next level).

Very sad, but true. :eek::eek::eek:

4. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Which age group for the league are you talking about?

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Over-the-hill leaque, you be the coach, I play XD reserve or be the chap who bring the water bootles:D

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    mind to tell me when is the last time we were one of the dominating country in the history of badminton?

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Sajiu said 'previously' (read slowly again) that means a loooong time ago before you were born or even before you parents dated:D back to Wong Peng Soon era of wooden rackets and all....now even I wasn't born then:p and of course, no CHN and that LD chap hanging around and MAS in those days was like the emperor with one-eye and others are blind so we rule baddy:D

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

When was Malaysia a dominating country at Badminton?

I think I can answer this question. :):):)

It was from the start of Badminton Team Men's Championships up to 1955, when Malaysia was the most dominating country.

However, in 1967 and 1992, Malaysia came back strong again for a short spell. Check the info recorded at this link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cup

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Badminton around the World

I have also provided some info about Badminton for many countries. Have a read of this thread;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/100814-Badminton-around-the-World

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    mind to show a table that where did malaysia stand on wc and og medal tally?

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

12. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

wow.. based on chris's post... usa and sweden are more power house badminton countries than malaysia.. i am so ashamed...

and depressed.. we should all just give up... and watch bowling.. the women bowlers seems to be really hot..

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hahaha... You could be more depressed when LCW announces his retirement from Badminton. :D:D:D

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so malaysia are out of the table in wc
    and 5th on OG
    as far as i know
    we are also out of the table in sc and uc
    winning a few times of tc mean we are once one of the top5 ?lol

15. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, very true !! :D:D

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Malaysian youth and players have the potential. Many of them have the natural ability and skills in their genetic code. Some of them have the determination.

Malaysia is still one of the countries that is seen as a genuine power in world badminton. Malaysian players who have reached pro standards are respected all over the world. Those who have settled in other countries are very respected for the knowledge and skills they bring with them, and they work hard to promote and share their knowledge and skills.

After all is said and done, Malaysia has produced players ranked #1 more times than Japan, Thailand, India, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, England, Germany etc. Depending on the time-scale, maybe more than even Korea and Denmark. This must tell us something positive about the level of the players. ;):)

The question you should be asking is: "What, or who, or both, is preventing Malaysian players from consistently reaching genuine international professional winning standards?"

17. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

who else but BAM and its govt...

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i wont ask this as i know the answer
    rashid sidek is spoiling the player under his charge since 2005
    and bam is allowing this to happen and he is the single chief coach now
    happy go lucky

p/s:i dont what happen before 2005,hahahahaha

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

http://www.sinarharian.com.my/sukan/kecewa-dengan-bam-jurulatih-korea-letak-jawatan-1.48571
    Coach Yoo's side of the story. He says- he has no rights in the association. When he 1st came, they wanted him to do Plan A, now they asking him to do plan B(sounds normal for BAM:rolleyes:). After the 6 months, Yoo says he was not given any players to train, only as sparring partner. He only wants to impart his expertise but not given opportunity to do so, so he decided to resign. He also says it's not about the salary.

Oh forgot, claims he's not allowed by chief coach to train KKK/TBH(pointing to TKH, oh oh)

Of course, we all know abt the politics, inconsistencies,etc. Coach Yoo go back Korea sure tell everybody there coaching in Msia vomit blood

#399 eaglehelang, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  20. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    limsy,
    Badminton then was very different from today's environment.
    Though I wasn't born then, it's pretty obvious Malaya was a super power house during that era.
    If they weren't good, they wouldn't have won 3 TC in a row, plus numerous All England titles amongst these players.

Moreover, they had to bear their own expenses instead of being sponsored or subsidized by any corporations.
    (Perhaps OTB and Chris can confirm this).

Based on their discipline, hard work and perseverance, they trully passionate of the games they played.
    Their past achievement is definitely not to be taken lightly even by today's standard.