Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    BAM is going the wrong way for sure. LYB has his own way of doing things. Sometimes is it bad but
    RESULTS is what he wants.

BAM wants RESULTS.. but no one wants to give in.

2. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    the reason why youth cant develop is bcos they not trained by top national coach. the youth player only trained by lower coach. i dont agree 1 top national coach for 1 player. i suggest 1 top national coach take 1 senoir and 1 youth player.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Some of the inimitable Nadzmi's recent utterances:

"We need quality coaches who can turn our players from quality internationals into world beaters. In order to do that, our coaches must also train themselves to become better,"
    I'm just an ignorant man in these matters. How does a coach train himself to become better? Does BAM have a secret place they send coaches to, to become better?

"We have to keep monitoring our competitors and regularly upgrade and we cannot prepare in isolation."
    And this is somethng BAM has not ever thought of doing yet?

"The Thomas Cup has given us a fair picture of how the other teams have progressed and we have to ask ourselves whether we are training (our players) accordingly."
    And the Asian Games, BAC, dozens of SS and SSP tournaments over the past 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or more years could not provide that "fair picture"? And part 2 of the question: who cares how much the others have progressed! How much have you progressed??

“In the long run, however, we will focus on grassroots development."
    Oh. So, grassroots development wasn't really on the agenda so far?

“We also need to unearth more talents like Chong Wei."
    You're not serious!! Why on earth would you want to do that, when you've not seen the need so far? Anyway, what do you intend to do after you've "unearthed" the talent? Do a ZZ on him, maybe?

Here is what pBmMalaysia wrote in post #542 on page 32:

"The system however, plays the most important part,
    starting in the grassroots program.
    "Most coaches here are given short contract to produce results or else ..
    I think you dont have to hear the rest.
    "The running of this program and that of the back up and elite group
    are totally different."

So there's the solution for Nadzmi! Find an international-quality coach who can turn out world-beaters as well as monitor competitors, and also improve the grassroots system and unearth a string of mini-LCWs. And get this superman coach to sign a long-term contract with the BAM we know. :rolleyes:

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

PS: it was KLRC (not BAM) who unearthed ZZ :)

And....weren't Rexy, Park Joo Bong, Morten Frost all considered world-class coaches? But BAM chose to settle for Tan Kim Her (hasn't done him doing anything good for the MD side since he became the head coach for the doubles division last year) and Pang (again, nothing significant we can see from Koo/Tan since they requested to be trained by him).

5. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Bullseye

LOL, I really like this post. Took the words right out of my mouth.

6. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    You are right. They all left. None will say that they all left in good spirits.

About the issue of Koo/Tan, Pang is not solely to be blamed. You can't play good doubles if you are not friends off the court.

7. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Let's remind ourselves that before this, even from a long time ago when the boys wanted to leap into men, aka LCW, he was fortunate to had the help and support of Morten Frost who had the keen and observant eye to spot LCW and adamantly fought for our dear champion to be recruited into BAM, but alas it was BAM who felt that LCW was too short and tiny and not athletic-built aka not suitable for competitive badminton. How wrong they were! It was none other than BAM who rejected him in the first place. If it weren't for Morten, LCW would not be in the system! This is where the problem lies. Now BAM is saying they need more grassroot-building. We have been saying that for years! Now only they want to admit about it. But don't forget, you need another talent too. Talent-spotting. Le't hope that won't happen again when another LCW comes around, hopefully sooner than we think and hope that this replacement is about 15 years old and not 5. If it is 5, then we can all sleep at the moment. Maybe watch hockey which I hate.

#607 Pakito, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  8. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    question? out of nowhere, how Pang become coach for this pair..?

9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    In a nutshell, Koo/Tan specifically requested him.

10. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Correct me if I'm wrong, LYB is too patriotic for money to be bought. Besides, China will see this as a defection.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    try to search for the answer in others thread
    but it isn't a positive one

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Ions ago, Misbun already suggested a program with coach, pysio,physical trainer to train up youngsters. Team must be available. All these years BAM did not show any inclination in implementing this. However good the coach is, they dont make final. Li Mao was pissed with the bureaucracy, LYB,hahaha, he will flip.

#612 eaglehelang, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    everyone with brain and can function normally know about it ;)
    what everyone with brain and can function normally dont know is that morten,park and yap have the power like what park and li yong bo do.:cool:

it was like people who believe earth is square ask people who believe earth is not square to proof why earth isn't square:rolleyes:

14. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    :cool:Do think that if tan kim her is head coach of china team can china be as they now?

15. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    We can't say he can do a good job

nor can we say he will mess things up

because he was never given a chance :D

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I see,that means what LYB has achieved cannot be replicated elsewhere. Good for China,bad for the rest of the world. Sorry, Gopichand,nobody can learn from China or LYB specifically. But,surely,we can still learn something from the best in the world. To me,adhering to the party ideology is beside the point,even BAM has its ideology, and LYB is more than just a facilitator,otherwise there would at least be a handful of others who can easily do his job. I believe LYB brings something special,unique as his contribution to improve and enhance the system,that's why after 19 years he's still at it and going strong.

Of course,he's not perfect,he's only human. What we want is to learn,adopt and adapt what we think is good and suitable, discarding what we think is bad or unsuitable. Importing wholesale or imitating what he's done provided we know what it really is from the inside not just seen from the outside,simply won't work, a recipe for failure, plus BAM is unlikely to give him a free hand ...in which case you're right to suspect he will do much worse than his predecessors. Li Mao tried thinking he could copy over what little or much he's learnt in China and we all know the result. But Li Mao is Li Mao, LYB is LYB.

Anyway, LYB won't go anywhere, he's done so much for China and achieved so much in his life,he's probably planning his retirement now,setting up that Badminton Academy in Dongguan is one of it. Just my 2-cents.:D

Ahh, Zhao Jianhua, every time someone mentions his name...he is absolutely one of a kind !:)

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To add , if ideology is an issue,then few other countries would accept any Chinese coach/player of any age. Besides, they went because they were interested in advancing their badminton career not spreading ideology.

Take Denmark,for example,she has an ex-China coach for 22 years, Zhang Liangyin,producing the likes of Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen, Peter Rasmussen, Camilla Martin, Tine Baun and Peter Gade who all paid tribute to him. Don't forget,he went there at a time when ideology mattered even more than today. I believe,you and I know,in today's China,who really talks about ideology, much less badminton players and coaches. http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/97858-Zhang-Lianying-A-Chinese-coach-behind-Danish-Badminton

I
    ndonesia overplayed the ideology card, forbade Tang Xianhu from coming back, much to her detriment.

#617 Justin L, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  18. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    If li yongbo was brought up in the underworld, he would have been the godfather by now :D

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I never respect tyrants or dictators. And the system that encourages it. Spoilers. ;)

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too, for a freedom-loving and independent-minded person like me, I can never tolerate tyrants and dictators,even benevolent ones. However, I do admire strong,capable and,most importantly,wise leaders, something akin to the Philosopher King but not exactly in the Platonic sense as in 'The Republic'.

Sadly,tyrants are everywhere,in all societies and organizations , in different layers of society,including the family, and they come in various guises and forms. Even in America, the freest country in the world, big corporations are regarded by many as private tyrannies. Never judge a book by its cover, a so-called democratic government can also turn dictatorial, a so-called democratically-elected leader privately a tyrant or dictator. Even religious leaders can be dictators.

Just as you don't judge a man by what he says of himself but look at his actions and true intentions,similarly you don't judge a socio-political and economic system by its name or what it claims to represent. Human nature is the same everywhere and all kinds of people are found in every system. In the best of us,there is some evil,in the worst of us,some good. We are still very far off from the millenium, a hoped-for period of joy,serenity,prosperity, and justice - perhaps never to be attained in this mortal world. Ultimately,we are each responsible for our own thoughts,words, and deeds. Peace, Loving-kindness and Wisdom.:)