Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If you pronate, you can't keep the racket facing forward the whole time. To be clear - pronation is the rotation of the forearm. That motion will turn the face of the racket, so either you have the racket face a set direction (very easy to anticipate the shot, btw) OR you pronate. There is no question that for an advanced player, pronation is the way to go ;)
    To get the maximum out of it, you have to supinate (rotation of the forearm in the other direction) first after bringing the racket back, that allows for a longer motion and thus more acceleration of the racket head. To see that, watch a few slow-mo vids of FHF and LD. You'll see how the racket face is turned during the shot, facing the shuttle perfectly on contact. If you wanna discuss this further, pm me and/or find a threat about the smash or pronation :)

2. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Hey J4ckie, I've just been watching your games and was impressed at how your flow and coordination on court has made you seem like a much more solid player now!

I hope you don't think i'm jumping into criticism but I think this is something you may want to think about. Just my opinion though so don't feel you have to listen :p

One thing I would like to suggest or convey -is that there is still quite a large time gap between the time you see the shuttle and the reaction to moving it.

If you look at 6:01 in the first game, or 10:35 for some examples.
    You take it perhaps lower, and later, than you should. It means you end up what appears to be moving your torso too to the contact point of the shuttle.

Combining that with ocasional points also that you take the return of net shots or low serves late because your racquet is down(it is sometimes a sign to your opponent that you are not prepared to attack).
    With both of these you will find your maneuverability to playing a shot is decreased and your options become limited

If you are not doing this already, have you considered doing some unsighted shuttle training or reaction training that will perhaps enable you to take the shuttle earlier and further away from you? Such as having someone feed shuttles over you from behind and reacting in time to hit them over the net with fast feet and good racquet preparation.

The only time it really seems to effect you is when you are taking a drop shot or a net shot, and I must emphasise that it's not often- but it adds pressure into your game without needing to.

The reason I say this, whenever you take a shuttle beneath the net level as i'm sure you know- it makes any netshot 10x harder at the same time giving your opponent more time to react due to the upward trajectory of the shuttle.
    This may affect your consistency and shot options (Sorry to bang on the same drum again). It's something I am currently working on with myself and I believe i'm seeing a similar thing in your game.

Hope I've been clear in what I've tried to say, and also hope I haven't been too negative.

As I say- i enjoy watching your games because you're improving at a good pace. :)

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks for the long reply! Don't worry, it did not come off as negative at all. I'm always grateful for any advice, and I didn't notice myself what you pointed out....thanks for that. I'm still working on taking the shuttle as early as possible, sometimes I don't intercept and take it at the back or let the shuttle drop at the net...letting it drop too far is a habit left from table tennis, as you often let the ball drop to reduce the spin it's got. It's gotten better, but sometimes, especially in singles, 10 years of TT overpower the 2 of badminton ;)
    I'm also putting quite a bit of effort into building leg strength and improving my footwork. Sometimes it seems as if I'm reacting late when in truth I'm just off balance and too weak to push off quickly or just a bit too relaxed/unfocused because I let my intensity drop too far. I think I'm making good progress, most noticeably because I'm really starting to enjoy singles which I did not a few months back - not at all :D

Thanks again for taking the time to watch (some) and comment! :)

4. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

I forgot to give an example, as I usually do.. Sho Sasaki is one who exaggerates it to a good extent and makes it more obvious if you do want to chase it up and see what I mean.

The TT thing makes total sense. Legwork is something that only comes by nailing the hours of practise in 3-4 days a week. Pushing off both legs + as you say using it in balance and equally is also the most important thing, no use having a gimpy leg that you can't push off ;)

Edit: Saying that just made me think, some of your smash defence, you have your non racquet leg slightly infront, which means that you are vulnerable to a down the line/ crosscourt smash to your backhand (4:05 in the 3rd game for example) It puts the racquet arm slightly behind you compared to neutral/ racquet leg forwards so you reach it later, and take it further behind you, or miss it like you did.

I do know how you feel, I haven't played proper singles in ages and I have a tournament in Belgium coming up in 3 months, time to get training (ive gone over 200lb weight) and get my eye back in I think. Watching you has definitely got me in the mood to play though!

I'm going to a 6 hour session on Sunday, hopefully I'll get some footage up to make you all laugh about, and show that whilst I can see things, I'm hopeless at putting them into my own game :)

#1424 AimUk, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  5. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Hi Jackie,

Just seen your video and you have improved , your technique is good and you seem to have good balance when making the shot. Movement around the court is good, footwork can still be little smoother (but none of us here is perfect in that department) . need to be more ready and alert to your opponent shots and more eager /quicker to get to the shuttle ...

You are a decent MD player and would definitely make it in our uni 2nd team , we are in need for some players to play in those dreaded away matches on Wednesday afternoon for both 1st and 2nd team , ........(100 miles + round trip !!! and getting beaten 8-0 by the top teams on occasion(ssss) LOL)

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha, tough luck then that I'm (probably) not in your Uni ;)

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

hi j4ckie

first of all, as the others already said: you certainly have improved judging from your last vids a couple of months ago. good work!!

but as you want to improve, here's my opinion on one or two things you could think about (all comments are about the 3rd game of singles video):
    1. you sometimes let the shuttle fall too far in frontcourt play when you would have enough time to take it earlier. examples: 1:13, 3:38, 5:16. my suggestion: be more aggressive in these situations! do a fast step, take the shuttle early and put some more pressure on your opponent!

2. on some occasions you play the overhead shot while doing a backward jump, although there would be enough time to get behind the shuttle BEFORE hitting. sometimes you can't avoid hitting while jumping backwards, but sometimes you can avoid it by getting behind the shuttle early and then hit in a forward motion. examples: 6:46, 11:16. there you have quite some time after your opponents service and jumping backwards defintely slows you down in taking the next shot!

3. 7:27: you didn't take the backhand, did you??? :eek::eek::eek: ;)

but again: keep up the good work, you're definetly improving!!

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks for the help :)

9. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Here is my latest video, which was recorded yesterday UK time
    [video=youtube;r5fG0MEuRbk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fG0MEuRbk&feature=g-upl[/video]

10. shahkiz

shahkiz Regular Member

Student
    which one are u?

11. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Opps, my mistake, I'm on the near side, in the red t-shirt

12. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Pakito Play Play

I am, of course, the chinese one, playing against Prakash Pradukone.

The kid on the right court is also of course, not mine :D

[video=youtube;9MEkOdkxG5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MEkOdkxG5o&feature=youtu.be[/video]

13. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
  14. malakaji

malakaji Regular Member

teacher
    Nice sets of rallies and good combination of shots too..would really love to have a game with you guys...keep up the good work buddy!! :D

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Very low strike point on overheads in early rallies.

After you serve you just stand and wait instead of split drop. In fact, I didn't many split drops at all.

Lack of recovery step on footwork.

#1435 amleto, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  16. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    danke, danke

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

[video=youtube;jc0ZtPzlaUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc0ZtPzlaUE[/video]

Last game of Monday's training session. A bit slow with the feet and not explosive at all, but not too many unforced errors considering that.

18. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

hi j4ckie

it's me again...;)

as i commented on your last video, i truly think you improved.
    yet again, keep working on your consistency. it's the most important thing in intermediate/advanced (or however one rates what we're doing...) badminton.

just one example: i counted 5 (!!!!) service mistakes! 5!!! 5!!!!!!
    if you consider, that games are usually won or lost by 21:17 or 16:21 or 19:21 or something like that, 5 (!!!!) service mistakes are the difference between winning and losing a game.

that's simply not acceptable! it gives your opponent a 0:5 lead for which he has to do nothing...

but anyway: keep up the good work!

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yep, those were awful. No idea how I managed to do that. There isn't even the same pressure as in doubles, so it's actually worse than gifting away points there...there's no excuse for 5 of them, but as I mentioned, I was exhausted, so my concentration wasn't exactly at it's best. I'll do some singles serves in the next few sessions though, the added distance throws me off sometimes.

20. amleto

amleto Regular Member

j4ckie, looking pretty good, especially the reverse drop and early cross-court round-the-head smash :)

Not as many net errors as previous vid - don't know if your enlarged action has anything to do with that?

It looks like you could make nets still easier for yourself by taking it earlier - see 1.33 where you connect at knee level even though you were not rushed. If you're trying to add a bit of deception, the take-back needs to be quicker to imitate a lift.