Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Don't know where those masses of net errors came from last time. Usually, I don't make too many mistakes there, and this vid is actually slightly above the norm in that regard (I can't remember an actual net error). Played with my BS12 this time, which is lighter and more responsive in defense and net play, so maybe that was a factor. Definitely influenced my smash timing which was cause of a few unnecessary errors.
    Anyhow, thanks for commenting :)

2. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Hey ,

Can I just say that your technique , movement , footwork are all good , you been coached well. Everything is there for you to become a good player . However, you need to focus (mentally stronger) especially when you are tired , if that concentration goes ; your shots will miss by inches ....and would cost you the match. Also once that focus is gone , you shot selection will go off the radar as well. In addition, if you are focus , your reading of the game /reaction to the shuttle will be a split -second quicker and that is the different between winning and losing.

So my advice is focus and when you are mentally exhausted and physically tired , have a few sips of Red-Bull ,a bottle of Lucozade and a few bananas , that should keep you going at tip-top form for hours ! ........

Also , the determination to win (every point) is the most important aspect , I say

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks. There's not many clubs with coaching around here, so it's a little hard to actually get any. I've had to do a lot of the work myself, often by watching coaching videos and professional competition to get the technique down and filming myself sometimes to actually see for myself what has improved and what needs most work....hearing that the technical aspects look good is a relief :)

I know that lack of focus/irritation with errors are big flaws in my game and often drag me down. However, I haven't found a way to improve that....it seems to have gotten better by itself, but in some matches, I still fall back into complaining about my own mistakes and let irritation get the better of me, especially when the opponent/s seem/s to be less skilled.
    I'll try and have an isotonic drink ready next time though :)

4. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    This is my singles match at the Canadian Open Grand Prix Gold against Sergiy Shatenko.

I know that I am not consistent, I did get beat horribly I know that, you don't have to point that out. I know that I lost and you can say that I am not at his level because I know that I am not. He is ranked higher than me (242 vs 362) but that doesn't matter, there is a large level difference for sure. He is smoother, faster, more powerful, more consistent than me for sure. I didn't play the right strategy against him, wasn't smooth, was tense, yes all that is apparent, to big a split step yes I can see that and still haven't fixed it which is very unsettling, I also see there are times I didn't get behind the shuttle yes.

All I can do is learn from this, move forward and try to improve as a player.

Its super tough when I feel like I preformed better earlier this year in Asia in Vietnam and Osaka Internationals only to get beat this bad by a player and even in my recent performance at the US Open. I cant compete with players at this level yet and need to do a lot more before I can. I have all the respect for Sergiy he is an amazing player and has beaten some top ranked players in the world, I just wish I could have done better. Well enough wishing, time to work for it.

[video=youtube;RW9ksK3OCew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW9ksK3OCew[/video]

#1444 nbonkowsky, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

hi nic

as you already said, you're opponent moves much smoother than you do. but why?
    i think you do a lot of "unnecessary" movement. your split step is too high, when you move you have a lot of moving up and down. despite the fact that you're a quick guy, these movements slow you down.

i think your "center of gravity" is too high. keeping your whole body in a bit lower position (more down in your knees) might help you to be faster and more efficient. like a wild cat before it jumps. you know what i mean?

here's a vid, where the player near to us is in a very low position, he barely moves up and down, just glides over the court (ok, he gets badly beaten by marc zwiebler, but that's not the point...). he has a very deep neutral position, his split steps are not jumps (like you do them). this is maybe a bit over-exaggerated, but you might think about changing your footwork a little bit in that direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qREkPaFfY

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Good point, exactly what I was thinking. Comparing you two in the match, you have a lot of up-down movement and a very high split step. I think you should try to gain at least a little leg muscle, that would help with getting lower and smoothing out your movement. Your speed alone is fine the way it is, but the difference between Sergiy and you is that he moves lower and has nearly no up-down movement. His superior leg strength also allows for a more stable hitting position as he doesn't need his upper body as much to correct slight imbalances.
    I have no idea how much weight training you actually do, but it's pretty important to do some regularly. Marc is a prime example - he didn't like it when he was younger and avoided it as much as possible, and it came back to bite him as he had a slipped disk and needed surgery to get back to the sport.

Anyway, it's not really like I knew better than you, so I just hope you'll continue improving and maybe break through to the (very) top one day :)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Obviously have improved:)

Your singles flick serve is mostly ineffective. You will have to improve the short serve in order to make the singles flick serve more effective. Also, the choice of a flick serve for this opponent is not very appropriate. The opponent does not have a very active step towards the net when receiving a low serve. i.e.he's not moving much. So, when you hit the flick serve, he doesn't have to move much to smash the flick serve back at you.:D Try playing low serves and predicting which one the opponent plays good returns and which ones he might play poor returns. Try mixing up the pace of the low serve - slightly faster, slightly slower, slightly loopy, some to the right hip of the opponent, some slightly higher than the right hip, slightly out to the side. etc. watch closely the return and see if the opponent plays the same shot when you give him the same serve. Control the opponent's choice.

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    First time see you playing. Both of you were mostly playing 3/4 of the court on each side. Very few shots reach the baseline and most of your lobs were not high and deep enough hence were easily killed by your opponent. Also, too rush to serve between points. Should re-compose yourself before serving.

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Of course you are not playing against Prakash Padukone !! Hehe. It seems that you are playing slow motion badminton. I think you could have moved faster for your age and you didn't move your opponent to all four corners.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You seem very tense. Was it just a bad day or some nerves? There really is no point on losing points on return of serve. I think you did yourself a disservice. I haven't seen you play before but yes, your centre of gravity does look high. Although you do a split step, you don't seem to bend at your knees so that's why you look high. Also, your shoulders don't drop in front of your centre of balance i.e. your body looks upright.

It's really difficult to analyse such a game. My impression is that he is way more experienced and comfortable at competing at this level. So a lot can be gained from good gameplay by yourself. Once you got into the rally, things went better. Are you more of the runner type of player? He might have judged your game faster than you did his -i.e. the tightness of the hand making unforced errors and the running style.

I thought you did better playing the flatter game. When he got you to high lift, he used his smash effectively to put pressure on you.

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Firstly, thanks for posting/updating. It's interesting to get some perspective from an international player!

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself and I know you already mention split step, but I will mention some small thing. Maybe it will help or not...

You mentioned that it is quite big and that you want to reduce it (I think I noticed this in your first vid so brownie points for me :D). I think this will help in itself, but I think there will be an additional bonus from it when you manage it because: I noticed when you get *slightly* behind in terms of footwork, you use the 'big split' as a hop into position - you have momentum whilst split dropping. see 10:50 and 11:40 and compare your split to his when the reverse slice is played.

The momentum is a real killer if it's not in the right direction! :D

So anyway, I hope that is useful.

12. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Thanks for the advice, I have been waiting for someone to comment on it.
    I think I'll focus and try to practice my flick serves the next time I play singles.

#1452 drew tze en, Jul 12, 2012
  13. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

So, I should try and use more of the court ?
    I see, I need to make sure that my clears/ lobs good to the back.
    I should also take time during service.

Ok thanks for the advice

14. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer

If you are playing against someone who is better or have more experience, it would make you look slower on the court , it is usual , some time it looks like he is toying with you but that is to tired you out , and once that fatigue set in , you will make all sort of errors on the courts, even judgmentally. I am not here to give you advice , but a word of encouragement , there are coaches you can go to for advice , so is none of our business in coaching you and telling you crap about split steps. This is because to get to your level , your footwork and movement is at a much advance level than any of us here. It is easy for us to talk about it , but when you are out on that court playing someone who is a among the best and playing this sport professionally it is not easy , it is hard enough to stay with him in the rally , it is more than just a game............ keep up the good work buddy !

#1454 Staiger1, Jul 12, 2012
  15. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

well, he asked and he gets an answer. of course a good coach will help him more, but he might well find something in the answers that helps him.
    some people here might not play at the same level than him, but maybe not that far away to be completely unable to judge what he's doing! and good enough to see some things that might help him.
    that does of course not replace a good coach by any means, but to call our advice "crap" is at least impolite.

16. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Hey, I am not saying your advice is crap, all I am saying is irrelevant in explaining to a player of his calibrate about split steps and how to do split steps. If you have seen his ''footwork'' video, you will see how good his footwork is.

In his post , he did not ask us for advice , but simply ''posting a video of himself playing'' , as suggested in the thread title. So dont get carry away and giving advice ..with split-step...
    Yes split steps are vital in badminton , but it can be skipped / and can be modified depends on the situation (i.e.where the shuttle is going to be for the next shot.) ; and some advance level players , their split step are not apparent but still have incredible speed on court .

17. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Yes your are right, mainly due to the fact that at the moment this was recorded, it was the 7th set already. This Prakash stamina is weird indeed, the more he plays, the stamina he has, the quicker he becomes. I need to build myself towards explosive power towards ending of the game. :D

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Bro, just play best of three games and based on what you claimed, then victory is yours.

19. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Yes, but nowadays with limited time and courts, I find more satisfaction in singles than doubles. Moreover, 'singles' fanatics are hard to come by. So when given a chance, play till 'drop dead'. :D
    Besides, the courts are free, at least till the next team arrives.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Taken during a session with a friend in the nearby center - the following match is still uploading, but will be public for a while.

[video=youtube;_B9SpNdQfDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B9SpNdQfDE[/video]