Why are the Women's doubles players not trying to win?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by Dr.Dino, Jul 31, 2012.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Didn't Yu Yang said the opponents are going to be strong and they (CHN) wanted to conserve energy?

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yup, she was quoted in many press as saying so. Of course opponents are strong if one serve into the net, smash into the net time & again, opponents had no opportunity to show much. The Korean chief coach was quoted too.

#262 eaglehelang, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The matches were bad...!

I also saw the nbcolympics videos which they posted a video which shows about 2 minutes of all the mistakes during that KOR/CHN

Lin Dan said himself that it's damaging to the sport. The head person of IOC was apparently watching some of the match in the arena as well.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I never believe LD.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    LYB will certainly get into trouble.

even before the Olympics, he has been warned by his bosses to cut down on the walkover and match fixing, that's why we did see fewer of them this year compared to last year. and when there are fixing suspicions, the acting was better instead of an outright w/o due to fake injuries.

now this really blown up in the Olympics and most people will by default just blame the Chinese for it without much thoughts, the bosses will certainly not be happy about it.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    President of IOC Jacques Rogge was there when it happened. Badminton has become a farce right in front of the president of the International Olympic Committee. I think President Rogge had to leave in embarrassment.

I believe this is one of the reasons why BWF decided to punish the four pairs so hard.

#266 pcll99, Aug 1, 2012
  7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Typically, he is in denial. It's always the "evidence" card that is played in these situations.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Notice she never thanked her coaches. I can feel her venom towards LYB.

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

For those in North America, the badminton fiasco made the Jim Rome Show (radio) this morning. And that's never a good thing with the acid-tongued host.

11. flite

flite Regular Member

Pardon my ignorance. I really don't know them. As such I better not put any comments on them because it will make me look stupid if I talk a lot with long winding post but make little sense.

#271 flite, Aug 1, 2012
  12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

Man, it's tough being a professional badminton player these days ... have to be a good actor too. ;)

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Again, I am not defending the players or coaches, they clearly contribute to the whole mess.

The problem I have is, IOC/BWF should take their share of the blame as well. As organizers, their system start the whole mess, and when the pic starts to look ugly, they try to act like god, and simply send the little guys (girls) to the chamber for the death penalty???

Plus, you still did not answer my question, how you justify the evidence. US basketball makes a lot of mistakes, such as easy turn overs, missed wide open dunks, un-usual high rate of fouls, etc. In addition, they rest their starters (e.g. Kobe played only 9 minutes in the game), and play the rookie (Davis) for 14 instead. So, please tell me why we not banning them for "'not using one's best effort to win a match' "???

15. flite

flite Regular Member

It was there in the second paragraph. The BWF after investigation found that.................

Its the authority and governing body that sets and regulate the R&R. They saw the 4 pairs clearly, obviously and severely violated one of the R&R and its within the authority rights to take proper action. Oth, teams can file for appeal but again its the decision of a panel of committees whether to reject the appeal or not.

Its them (the authority) who took action within a set of rules, regulate them and made the final decision. Not the other way round of saying to them that your proof TO ME is not solid enough.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    she didn't thank the fans and her family either. maybe she hates all of us also? ;)

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Lazybuddy:

The guilty have no right to question the judges, especially when the rules are so clearly spelled out in the book. Even if there was a loophole that doesn't make it less punishable if they were found guilty. You can call it a temptation but they're still guilty nonetheless.

The only thing that could have happened differently is the KOR players should have just killed the CHN pair with a 21-0 21-0 score. Then after the match officially complain to the referee about the CHN pair's efforts and intentions. That would have been better than being pulled into this disgraceful match fixing scandal.

18. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    But then the Japanese escaped doing the same thing right? what about them... they got what they wanted cheated and got away with it as well......... so there are still loopholes next time do it there way...

19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    The four pairs are doing daylight robbery... Too obvious...

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I can not stop laughing...

You keep using the word "clearly", "obviously", etc, but how you qualify that? 20% of the "suppose to be level of performance", 30%, 47%, 65%??? Then, you have to also factor in the fatigue, opponents, etc. How to qualify "not trying hard enough"? Even if they "not trying", they are still better than 99.99999% of us trying 20000%...

Again, I am not saying they are innocent, based on my own common sense. However, issue a hard nailed "death penalty", while ruinning the entire event, while the organizers were the 1st ones to make it possible...

Again, my point is not to say they did not do anything wrong. My problem is IOC/BWF pushes all the blames on the little guys (girls), and actting like god, make me disgusted.