Yu Yang quits badminton over disqualification

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by vip_m, Aug 1, 2012.

1. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I'm not even sure you have any kind of coherent point. From what I can guess of what you are saying I'm going to bet Ben Johnson wishes Canada was full of people like you.

2. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
  3. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member

Please google "tennis betting scandal"

Clean sports are the exception these days if there are any.

I realize I am quite emotional, borderline hysterical today, for that, I do apologize.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Drug policy is well written, and if you fail the actual doping test (hard evidence), then there's nothing much you can argue about.

The DQs, however are strategy (no, I do not like either), played on the gray area of the current format (round robin). Yes, it's obvious. However, in theory, for the argument sake, how you justify "how hard" and "how good" their performance suppose to be? Fine, let's not going there...

If you DQ them, you might as well DQ Bolt or Phelps, as I am pretty sure they did not win every single heat in the qualification round, before taking the gold in the final. So, they obviously did not "try hard" either.

5. thunder.tw

That scandal is a tanget at best. In that case the ATP have investigated the matter to the limit of their power they are facing stiff question from inside their own organisations. The ATP didn't need the IOC to strong arm them into doing anything. If you wanted to give a Tennis parallel to this you would need Federer and Nadal each doing nothing but serving intentional double faults on center court at the French Open.

Look, what your point with respect to this thread (if I may be so bold as to drag this thing back OT). Are you saying that because Yu Yang felt pressure to throw that match that this should absolve her of all consequences for caving to that pressure?

That now I should feel sorry for her based on this outburst of melodrama on her part? The lady really believes she did nothing wrong and seems to be baffled by the concept that her actions really could have resulted in real consequences.

So yes I say she has a share of the blame and she deserves what she got. Saying this doesn't mean that she get ALL of the blame. As I've said in other threads there's blame for everyone from the players to the BWF, to the NAs and even to the fans that have excused this nonsense in the past.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    But some Athletes seem to get around that also with loopholes about approving abnormal testvalues and steroid use etc., if they just can blame some ilness (most prefferably cancer or something that also gets sympathies) to get a "free pass" to use substances that otherwise would not have been legal.

7. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Exactly, it was technically legal within the context of the rules at the time. Of course BWF did an immediate 180 following the bad press they got.

8. thunder.tw

Actually there is a written code about playing to your best ability.

DQs are not a strategy. If they are then they should be happy..... they got DQ'd

Always amusing to see someone 'go somewhere' then say "let's not go there". They didn't just engage in gamesmanship they made a complete fckn mockery of the game. There was no 'grey' area there was no 'murkyness'. They actually were warned and given a second chance at that point things should have been crystal clear to them.

Ah the old make $hit up play. They qualified so it's pretty fckn hard to say they didn't try hard enough to win isn't it?? Now you might have a valid point if Bolt ran backwards.

Look you don't get it and you are incapable of understanding it. There is no defending what these ladies did. Are they alone to blame for this whole fiasco? No. But, they aren't innocent either and they sure as hell aren't victims either.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Bolt and Phelps did not do it, because they do not need to deal with the extra "meaningless" round. Can you imagine if they have to go through RR instead? I am pretty sure they will throw the last heat, if they have enough points to qualify.

That's why I say, IOC/BWF should take their share of blames for the sytem as well.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    When I say DQ, I mean the entire incident. The cause of it, not the result. Seriously, I think you are the one having trouble to understand others...

Sure, it's easy to say they can be better actors. However, how to be a better actors, when both sides want to lose? That's conflict of interests. That will be equally (if not harder) than both want to win.

11. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member

Sorry for being hostile, I can not quite see the funny side of things today.

My personal opinion is that she has been severely punished for carrying out orders.

She probably thinks that it would give her country the best chance to win the Gold Medal.

As for her retirement message, please do not read it literally, she can not tell the truth, she just wants to vent her frustration.

12. squashnut

squashnut New Member

radio
    Nonsense. In the few squash events that play out dead rubbers, the match is usually played 2/3 instead of 3/5. I have never seen anyone play hard in a meaningless match, if any matches are still to be played, and top players have lost "matches" to players they would beat 100 times out of 100.

This is about sports betting in London (big business) and ticket sales.

13. thunder.tw

Well I'm guessing there are more than a few German guards who wish you had been a judge at Nuremberg.

14. SigH-Max

SigH-Max Regular Member

Ding ding ding, you win one godwin point.

15. gamelessx25

gamelessx25 Regular Member

Self Employed
    Bolt is a runner... he runs his heats to qualify. Phelps is a swimmer... he swims his heats to qualify. Badminton/Soccer/Vball TEAMs "play" their respective sport to qualify for the knockout rounds.

All is good so far. Except what I witnessed in person on Tuesday night, from the 5th row of court 2 was TOP ATHLETES "playing" their sport at the level of 4th graders. BOTH teams "competing" to LOSE. What investor(fan) would put their hard earn time and money to watch such a farce?

Perhaps they could of gotten away if it were so blatant. But it is what it is now. They **** on the IOC and got the reprisal.

16. charedblack

charedblack Regular Member

Student
    Waa Waa Waa, all I hear from some people here trying to defend her!

She cheated! Fact, end of!

These people dont deserve to be apart of the Olympic movement or the sport that so many of us love dearly! We dont need them to ruin the very fabric of the sport and sport in general! So heads out of the sand people and lets bring some credibility back to the sport and allow the sport to once again grow on the world stage, not just in China!

17. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Seems like Chinese badmn team is throwing her under the bus.
    What are the chances of Yu playing for another country now that she's no longer part of the national team? How often do we see a teamless top ranked player with many years of competition left?

18. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Saw the news where LYB, WXL and Yu Yang apologised. Funny thing was, LYB doesnt look so apologetic.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The problem is, Bolt / phelps have the better system, and all their effort are well spent, as every heat does count for the qualification. Imagine if you ask them do another one for whatever common wealth reason for free, you think they will do it or try to win it?

The 8 ladies did exactly what Bolt / Phelps did for the "meaningful" games. The messed up BWF format forced them not only get 1 more "extra" game, but also present a chance to take advantage. Yes, they played the gray area, but the system should be better planned to prevent such obvious issues.

20. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member