2012 Olympics Day 8 (Sat Aug 4th) - WS/WD final - MD semi

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 3, 2012.

1. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    You must be a good fortune teller then that a WX win was so obvious to you. May I know what made it so obvious that I for a matter couldnt see through? Was it obvious at the start when the game started and SN was leading 5-2? or when she caught up with SN till the break? Coz during then I saw silly unforced errors, misjudgements from SN which doesn't count as other players virtues... and by the end I saw a fightback from SN to gain the momentum during the game point and in games like this everyone knows what the momentum does... I see WX getting injured only when her face showed the agony and she took a break or else I would say the tiredness of her face was the rallies and fatigue out of those... Even if WX told you personally, I wouldnt believ it coz there have already been ample cases where player use such tactics to buy time when tired, My personal favourite is/was tying the shoe laces ;) Anyways I wouldnt go on assuming things and would go by how Wang Xin was playing till a point before she automatically looked at her knees and her face showed her pain after the twist. I see her tired and fatigued already after giving so much to the rallies and fast paced games so far and SN fighting back... Something similar to IND SS last month were SN was outplayed more ruthlessly in the first game by LXR coming riding in the record-winning streak and SN held her and won the match once she composed herself and got the momentum to her... The tactics against players like LXR or Wang Xin is to get to their minds with long rallies, retrieve everything and throw it back, this is what they hate and makes them go for more committing mistakes. These power players tend to burn quite fast and lose stamina so if its a rubber game the edge goes to the player whose less tired and composed which so obviously is SN among the two

Regardless its not a nice way to win and SN and Wang Yihan would now need to go back to their training centers and their coaches need a lot more to do with them... to prepare them for future battles... while LXR yu can relax, go to beaches and have fun atleast in CHN you have got the measures of everybody with this Olympic GOLD... CHN should wish other countries, to be inching a lot more closer to them, they are having it super easy for now...

2. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    Looking back, now I feel Li Xuerui has destroyed two hearts with one stone.

She should have played Nehwal instead of Wang Xin and had she not done that, Wang Xin would not have injured herself.

And now in the gold medal match, she broke another heart of a player who fought so hard to earn her rightful place and gave herself such a tough time overcoming difficult opponents.

I believe Li Xuerui would be disliked by a lot of her teammates,

She has broken three hearts actually.

Wang Shixian
    Wang Xin
    Wang Yihan

3. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    And is feeling happy for herself and has got her rightly deserved place...:D
    These players must have broken quite a few hearts of fellow teammates themselves earlier... I hope the other players realize that this is a competetive sport and amongst them the deserving player gets what she should... They rather focus and work on their game and improve and challenge LXR in the court...

After the draw LXR had to play Wang Xin in the semis and I could just guess you aint asking her to throw her match in the semis leave the gold medal which she deserves and instead fight for bronze and might as well lose that... SN and WYH are different players and she has just last month beaten her. So instead of GOLD you asking her to settle for nothing and may be stay injury free, be at the peak of your game for 4 years and try again... Not even LYB could make someone agree to this... Even he doesnt seems to be that demanding and rude!!

#803 gopalprasad, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  4. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

this has to be the dumbest comment ever. li xuerui won it fair and square. quit whining cuz she won. cnt only cares about getting the gold. doesnt matter who wins it between compatriots.

5. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    All week long, the commentator (Gillian Clark) has been saying that Wang Xin is injured or looks injured, so yes, I believe that WX was not fit enough for these games. I noticed it myself in her matches with Li Xuerui and Inthanon Ratchanok as well. I believe that she was injured going into this match with Saina, and that slip she had near the end aggravated her injury and made it impossible for her to continue.

So, with WX not in peak physical condition she was still able to beat Saina in the first game. You honestly don't think WX would have beaten Saina outright had she not been injured? I believe their head to head record is vastly in Wang Xin's favour. The only previous match I've seen between these two was at last year's World Championships, where I was quite stunned as to how convincingly WX beat Saina. I'm not an expert in badminton (I'm a newcomer to this sport), so I don't know how to explain it clearly, but to me everything about WX's playing looks better than Saina's - she just moves around the court so much more elegantly and all her shots seem more intelligent and more efficiently executed. Maybe some expert can chime in as to exactly why WX is a better player than Saina, or why she isn't, if they believe otherwise?

So with all the evidence I've cited above, yes, I do think I've good reason to believe that WX would have beaten Saina at these games had she not been injured.

6. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Nothing personal I think. Just read it was their tactics to heap all the pressure on JJS today...
    It ultimately paid off :eek:

7. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Go BoMo :D

8. youngman

youngman Regular Member

Product Manager (Core Networks)
    Li Xuerui, I salute to you as well. What a remarkable match, well done. Above all, the politeness & the humility during & after the match shown were very motivating. Congratulations!

9. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Kor-Den 12-4 -> Den win
    Chn-Den 6-2 -> Seems like an equally good chance ;)

10. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    It's going to be tight contest but the thing is Cai-Fu are going to the court with the mindset knowing that their opponents do not have a solid defense as the koreans.

Confidence-wise, it will be advantageous for China.

11. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
    Just open up TS, and quite sad to see Wang Yihan failed to get gold :(
    Congrats to Li Xuerui..

12. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Honestly I saw tiredness in Wang Xin's face creeping up from the towel break in the first game she didnt play anything like injured till 20-18 in the first game it was only when she tried that acrobatic smash did I saw her getting an injury but still was wondering during the five-minute break in the first game whether the Chinese girl had been wasting time, play acting or trying to recover her composure after seeing the Indian come back from 11-19, 14-20 to 18-20. The injury in the second game stunned and it took time to sank in that the fight was over.

Just because many use it as a tactical ploy Its upsetting and frustrating to see the opponent take a five-minute break. She was getting tired, It was evident and I knew SN would come back strong. WX was complaining about the slippery court, asking for water breaks, which made me think she was acting till I saw agony in her face...
    Its very unfortunate for WX to get injured but even before her smash it was quite evident that SN would take the match in three games with WX panting and taking deep breaths...

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

If you research match data, you wil find it s not uncommon for players to win the first game and lose the next two so they lose the match overall. Especially if the player uses up a lot of energy to ensure they win the first game. Then they may have little left for the next two. They are likely to lose against a strong opponent with that energy strategy.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Seeing the result of the 2nd MD match after coming back from a test, I couldn't help but shout in anger....having watched the match, I can't help but be disappointed. No matter what this doubles pair achieves, I'll always think it's because of their mind games, little tricks and underhanded tactics. No matter what titles they win, I'll always remember them for showing no sportsmanship.
    While objectively they did a great thing to overcome technically and athletically superior opponents, it saddens me to think that an Olympic final could very well look like this - one pair constantly delaying their service, mocking their opponents for mishitting, and - in Boe's case - pretending they weren't ready when they're fooled by a flick serve....just to be clear, this is all just personal opinion. Objectively what they do is cunning, but to me, a spectator, that is worthless as I get nothing out of their win. However I'm now denied my dream final, and JJS, a player that I feel deserves it, his final shot at Olympic Gold. I really do hope the Chinese crush them in straight games....preferrably with <10 both times. I would probably have been okay with any other pair up against the Chinese, but something about the Danes just rubs me the wrong way.
    Anyway, here's hoping to a very clear final and a spectacular battle for Bronze!!

PS: And please stop arguing about the WS BM match. :D There's no way of knowing who would've won without the injury, and it's sad to see any match end like this. All the best to Wang Xin in her recovery, and of course congratulations to the other 3 who performed absolutely great and deserve their medals (although I kinda wish there would've been 2 Golds...WYH really deserves one imop).

15. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

yes, even WYH is only a silver medalist here, but in my heart, she is also the gold medalist same as LXR. :)

16. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

incredible win from Serena William :D 6-0, 6-1, poor Sharapova.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    isn't it? it is really hard to pick between these two. but LXR really won me out. her technique is superb, beautiful to watch.

18. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    Both LXR and WYH played very well as I expected. LXR did sl better in all aspect and this was the reason why she won the game. WYH made quite a few crucial unforced errors toward the end of games 3 and I think this was the turing point of the game. LXR and WYH will be the top girls in WS for some time. There is still room to improve for LXR and she is certainly on her way to be one of the most dominant player in WS. She has everything to be an ultimate champion like Lin Dan. I am afraid that WYH might have to settle as second best like LCW.

19. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

one is my favorite player, one is my lovely 'sis' haha.... It's difficult for me to pick too. So, they are equally the same to me. :D Yes, her technique and skill are very beautiful to watch. Moreover, she is a tall player. She has a slight advantage over WSX and WX in the future. Last time, she was a double player in the province team, that's why you can see sometimes she can turn her skill like a double player on court.

20. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

For those who are concerned with WX, she torn her ligament (same as Wang Lin). She will be sent to Germany immediately after her visa is done.