2012 Olympics Day 9 - Men's Double Finals (Gold/Bronze)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 4, 2012.

?

who will win Men's Doubles Gold?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2012.
  1. Cai Yun / Fu Haifeng (CHN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mathias Boe / Carsten Mogensen (DEN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kodok

Kodok Regular Member

the greatest MD pair ever? hahahahahahahaha.
    yes you are right. hahahahahahahaha.
    even markis kido and hendra setiawan can win asian games. hahahahahahahaha.

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Greatest men's doubles of the current era, perhaps. Can't say I agree with the greatest men's doubles of all time .... there have been other MD pairs in the previous era who could be mentioned on the same breath.

But I do respect their mental strength, though. Second to none, well, maybe just behind Lin Dan .....

3. Kodok

Kodok Regular Member

will they win olympic gold medal if markis kido and hendra setiawan participated?
    maybe not. hahahahahahahaha.

4. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

yup, you have the point. too bad, Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan can't even qualified. what a shame.

5. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

Fu and cai's longevity (almost 10 years at the top of the sport) really does say something.

OK, they had their difficult times when their ranking dropped, but they got back up and, to crown off Cai Yun's career, won the Olympic Gold :)

No Asian Games gold, but with 2 All England titles, 4 World Championship titles and the Olympic Gold, they are definitely contenders for most successful MD pair in the last 25/30 years??

6. superjyfan

superjyfan Regular Member

Perhaps MK/HS should QUALIFY for Olympics first then you can DREAM about them having a win over the reigning Olympic and World champions who beat them 4 times in a row after the 2008 Olympics.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

A shame they weren't at the Olympics to win THAT title then. And a shame they didn't win the WC the last 3 years. Coming to think of it, what exactly did they do the last 4 years? Apart from the AG, I don't recall them being very successful :D

8. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    IOC won't act foolishly to abandon badminton from Olympics!!!

Be afraid not! Don't feel threatened and be intimidated easily!! :eek::eek::eek:

Hold on my words, IOC is very keen where does the money flow.... it definitely won't dare to drop badminton from Olympics... the fact that this time China does a clean sweep won't ever come into the equation! Moreover the balance of gravity is shifting, IOC must realize it too well...and be smart enough to be able to sniff where the real money is...

Btw, do you think of any more interesting sport to take over badminton in Olympics ???

--------------
    "In the midst of great joy, do not promise anyone anything. In the midst of great anger, do not answer anyone's letter."

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

it's not a slamdunk MK & HS would beat CY & FHF even if the INA pair had qualified and participated in this yr's OG..Their MD Final match in the 2008 OG went to 3 thrilling games..Even the Head to Head overall record favors FHF & CY (with the CHN pair winning the last 3 encounters)..

10. Kodok

Kodok Regular Member

they can win asian games although they are not the greatest md pair ever.
    can your 'greatest md pair ever' win asian games gold medal?

that's why i said 'maybe'.

#230 Kodok, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

keep the "maybe" alive...maybe the CHN pair would not win if CJS & LYD went to the Final instead of the Danes..maybe INA team would win a medal if not for the antics done by their WD pair in this OG..

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Counter question - if a super MD pair A has never won a particular tournament, say, the Malaysian Open, but another pair B has - does that make pair B better than pair A? Does that rule apply to singles players? If so, Lin Dan can't be so great, after all he's never won the MO, while LCW did. Does that prove LD isn't the greatest MS player of all time (or amongst the greatest)?

Seeing someone as the greatest is always subjective. To me, winning the number of titles they have including 4 WC and 1 OG title (and 1 OG silver) makes them the greatest so far as no one else has won that many WC titles AND Olympic gold. It also proves without a doubt they're a better pair than MK/HS who 'just' peaked 3 times.
    On the other hand I accept if others consider pairs like Kim/Ha or Park/Kim to be better, but no one can prove anything either way so in those cases it just boils down to personal opinion.

13. superjyfan

You have to forgive the "maybe"s, reality is too cruel for him, that's why he can only rely on "maybe"s for events that already occurred. Poor thing.

14. Kodok

Kodok Regular Member

i don't care who won the olympic gold medal. i don't care who the greatest md pair are.
    for me, cy/fhf are the greatest md pair ever is BULLSHlT.
    even ricky/rexy, candra/sigit, tony/halim are better than them.
    of course you do not agree. and you will count how many wc titles they have won. etc.
    i don't care about that. if i am not wrong, wc happens every year recently.
    so they can collect many titles.

15. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

ok ok calm down no naughty words allowed in this forums, and certainly no CAPSLOCK for naughty words ok!!

cy/fhf not the greatest MD pair ever, OK?

just one of the most decorated MD pairs, OK?

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. you are entitled to how you think, and others are entitled to how they think. everyone is different and think differently, that's what make this world interesting.

however, there are also rules, and the rule here is that we don't allow expletives, so please refrain from doing that in the future.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

First you said they can't be the greatest because they didn't win the AG, and now when I state they've achieved more than pretty much any other pair (with possible exceptions if you take into account that the WC is now nearly a yearly event) you say I'm counting titles....it's clear you're not interested in a rational argument.
    As I mentioned earlier, who one considers the greatest is always personal. Sometimes it's because of success, sometimes for other reasons like overcoming adversity or being a great sportsman/person. In your case, being Indonesian is the vital characteristic. For me, it's Fu/Cai's power, their explosive, exciting style of play, the way they impose their game on others, how Cai overcame heart problems, how Fu still holds the smashing World Record since 2005, how they played successfully for 10 years, and because I just feel with them every time I watch a match. And nothing you say will change any of that.

18. aznguy

aznguy Regular Member

Absolutely love this pair, they bring something to the table that only ten years of partnership can muster. No matter how much doubt is thrown on whether they are "the greatest" or not, I for one will certainly miss watching them play when they have retired (later rather than sooner, hopefully)!!!

19. superjyfan

Yep, you are right, it happens every year recently. Even when it happens every year, some people still cannot capture more than 1 wc title, how pathetic.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You made an emphatic point there doubting cy/fhf are the greatest ever because there were not a few MDs that were more brilliant. MK/HS is outstanding because they were on bad form for AG and OG yet somehow they just turned up and lifted both the AG and OG titles like easy. But they have affinity for China; they just play well there! So let s hope they qualify for WC next year because it s in China! I have respect for cy/fhf though. At least they have won their titles with no (clear) assists. Let s hope INA MDs rise again to show their prowess.