Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Decided to upload another MD match after all. Played on the same day as my singles match, against the other team (we play against 2 teams on one day of competition). Not such a great match, intensity wasn't really high and after a lapse in concentration in the 2nd game (I think they led with 7-1 at one point) I had two runs of points on my serve and that was enough to decide the match.
    Final score was 21-11, 21-14.
    [video=youtube;dgEDNhBvpKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgEDNhBvpKU[/video]

2. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    hey j4ckie, ive noticed that your videos have some fairly good quality and was wondering if you rendered your videos with some program to lower their size or if you just uploaded them directly on youtube

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Usually used the Samsung Intelli Studio that came with the camera (basically the same as Windows Movie Maker) and converted them into .wmv, the last one I uploaded directly and cut on Youtube. Thanks to University broadband Internet it cost me 30min total compared to ~4-6hours it would usually take :D

4. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Here's my latest video of me playing
    I apologise for the quality of the video, it seems my camera is playing up a little so.... :(
    Having lost the game I'm happy with what I was doing :)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ9lvIWFORE[/video]

I also recommend you watch it in 720p as it is clearer... sorry about the quality :(

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Good to see another vid of you :) I think you're improving nicely!
    A few things that I spotted more or less immediately: your racket is often too low, especially in defense (hanging around your right shin/ankle when it should be in front of your body, which makes your backhand defense rather slow) and flat rallies (after playing a flat drive, you let your racket arm drop for no reason, you need to stay more alert and have it ready for the next shot).
    Also, it looks like you're not using a proper thumb/backhand grip when you take the shuttle in front of you, but have the racket turned slightly towards a forehand grip. Not sure about that though. You could try and raise your elbow more on shots taken before or beside the body that are around shoulder height, it gives you more power on drives, more options and thus makes your next shot harder to read (as you can play a pretty hard drive as well as a block to the net, and not only a block/lift). And be sure to use a proper thumb/backhand grip when you take a shoulder height shot in front of you :)

Besides, seeing the whole court instead of just your side gives a better idea of where your shots land and how effectively you use them (i.e. if you can unbalance your opponent, keep him guessing, make the right choices etc).

Enjoyable vid! Keep training, you're definitely improving :)

PS: you give the lift away too easily at times, especially when following your attacking shot to the net. Try taking that area away from your opponent. Most of the time you get there early enough to play a very tight, tumbling net shot, which is a much more aggressive move than the slight hold &flick you use most of the time. You have the tools, but you gotta use them! :D

#1545 j4ckie, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. drew tze en

Thanks j4ckie!

hmm... Next time I record at the club again, I'll see if there is another place to position my camera.
    Thanks for the tips
    - Racket up, in front of the body
    - use a backhand grip with shots in front of the body
    - raise your elbow for more power

I will try and put these tips in place when I play next, but thanks for the help!

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hope it helps :) Raising the elbow on those shots has great effect. I don't do it much myself (as I tend to let my racket hang down too far as well :D) but the -technically- best player in my club does just that, and he has a killer backhand drive and a LOT of deception on those shots.

Always nice to have people active in this thread and have the guts to show themselves on video! :)

8. drew tze en

I see, I love back hand shots but I try not to use them TOO much or else its a disadvantage in some aspects..

hahaha it took me a while before uploading my first video on here :)

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I will just reiterate what jackie said - looks like you have rubber band between your racket wrist and 'racket knee' - you want to play every shot with wrist and knee next to each other :p

I also thought your backhand lifts + nets looked peculiar. 2.20, 7.33 show examples - your wrist just shouldn't move like that for that shot. Compare to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_NAx409G2M (and I loath to cite LJB :p)

net shot at 2.00, 2.33 show big arm movement to the bird - need to address the shuttle earlier so that arm movement isn't part of the actual shot.

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

net shot at 1:12
    [video=youtube;482ufYUa5Ns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=482ufYUa5Ns&feature=related[/video]

11. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Here's the a video of my playing dre tze en (it's a different game).

Any tips are greatly appreciated:

[video=youtube;wFL0Kwwj8Wg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFL0Kwwj8Wg[/video]

Cheers :)

12. drew tze en

hahaha, I see :)
    I think I just need to tighten my wrist to produce the power then letting it swing through.
    hmm... I think I need to look at my footwork to insure I get the to shuttle quick enough

13. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Only thing I can spot is you have difficulty going from backcourt to the forecourt. If DTE sharpens his smash-return net shot, u'll probably return only 10% of his return drops. (talking about the stuff u hit near ur own baseline) I couldn't see where you placed those shots that you had trouble returning, but it seems like your weight is at the back for way too long even when you land. Half of that is from your wt transfer, half of that is footwork. Need to recover faster.

Mid-front court rally you seem to have problems getting to the shuttle. At around the 4:45 mark you seem to be just standing around hitting the bird back and forth; so when you had to lunge, u were out of position. Make sure you have the habit of doing the split step as soon as the moment the opponent contacts the shuttle.

Work on your change of direction as well. He caught you flat footed a few times with those.

That's all this newbie's eyes can see :)

14. drew tze en

Cloud7z posted the second game to the one you watched. Honestly, I didn't play as well I had a stitch half way through the game and I couldn't get rid of it anyway.

I see what you mean, sometimes I play passively just allowing my opponent to smash at me. When I could be winning the point.

Thanks again for the help J4ckie :D

15. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

hi drew tze en

jackie pointed it out quite well.
    my first impression (before reading jackies post): wow, very decent backcourt play, but quite lousy frontcourt play.
    your smashes from the backcourt are nice, your clears are good, you have a good timing and impact on the shuttle overhead in the backcourt. with your nice smashes you create a lot of opportunities!! but then, as you have the opportunity created, you give it away at the frontcourt by either: playing a lift or taking the shuttle very low when you do a net shot.
    i think you're quick enough to take the shuttle much higher and play far more netshots. if you take the shuttle earlier, your precision will be higher on the netshot and i'm sure that will win you a lot of points!!
    i recommend you should practise that really separated from other things. if you have a partner to feed you some shuttles, tell your partner to feed you a clear, then you smash, immediately move forward, then the partner feeds a net shot and you try to play a precise spinning netshot. then he feeds a clear again. like that you can really concentrate on:
    a) move forward quick enough after the smash
    b) take the shuttle early/high
    c) play a netshot instead of a clear.

i'm sure that would improve your game a lot!

would look something like that...:cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nzNUkGxYsk&feature=relmfu

16. |_Footwork_|

hi cloud7z

what is obvious at first sight is that you should improve your footwork.
    2 things:
    1. you seem to lack power/athletic abilities! when you have to lunge, it takes you a lot of time to get back in balance/position. sometimes you even need to do an additional step after your stroke because you don't have the power to recover. i would suggest to do some off-court drills (lunges, weighted squats, deep jumps) to become stronger in your legs.
    2. you don't have a good rhythm on court. your movements seem a bit random (don't know how to describe...). your footwork pattern is not really an automatic movement, deeply anchored in your brain. watch for example the footwork video by jonas rasmussen on youtube and do this exercise on court to get a better rhythm and court coverage.

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

that should be peter... :)

18. |_Footwork_|

oooops, you're of course right, sorry for that!

19. drew tze en

Thanks for the advice I was playing badminton today, using the advice given from j4ckie and others. What you said about not lifting after smashes and taking the shuttle earlier, really helped today, I was able to win more points with my racket being up in front of my body, taking the shot earlier at the net and killing high net shots... I felt that my game was better with the advice in mind however I didn't record any matches today.

20. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Thanks for your advice, I've always felt that my footwork is the worst part of my game. I have been trying to improve it for a long time, however I can never the transfer the work from drills into the game.